PDA

View Full Version : do you have friends that you can't stand?

neeleymartin
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
i do!!! every time i talk to this one friend, she makes my blood boil.

today's comment was in response to my fear of water and ds1 taking swimming at the ymca. i was talking about how i was nervous..."oh c'mon, they're not gonna let him drowned!" she says.

NO KIDDING!!!!

i immediately deleted her number from my phone. it's not a number that i know without clicking the name to dial. i just get so pissed after hanging up with her, EVERY time. i'm done.

is this a bitch??? mods, feel free to move.

vludmilla
05-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Sorry! She sounds very invalidating and it is tough to be around people who do that.

kijip
05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
It sounds like she is annoying. It also sounds like she is not your friend. There is no reason to feel badly about dropping someone whose presence in your life is not a positive one. Way to go deleting her number. :jammin:

MontrealMum
05-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I have had, but as I've gotten older and more sure of myself most of those people have drifted out of my life...due to my lack of contact and normal friendship effort ;)

Way to go for deleting her number! Noone deserves to be belittled, and true friends shouldn't make you feel mad after every interaction. Of course you'll argue and disagree, but they're supposed to be supportive and make you feel good just as often :)

almostamom
05-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Not anymore ;) I'm finding that the older I get, the more selective I've become when it comes to calling people friends. I have neither the time nor the energy for certain people. Good for you for deleting the number!

Linda

elektra
05-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Not really but I do have a friend of a friend who drives me nuts. She's more just annoying than anything. She just lets the most annoying things fly out of her mouth. Oh and she's a drunk! I am only around her if I hang out with our mutual friend (who knows I can't stand the other woman) though, so I try to just ignore her when possible. I don't think I even have her phone number thankfully!

momof2girls
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I'd be surprised if anyone DIDN'T have at least one annoying friend. My one friend is always talking about how cute her own kids are (NO ONE wants to hear that all the time, I know your kids are cute, you don't have to tell me every time we talk). I find that odd. I would never think anyone would want to hear me toot my kids' horn all day long. Her son is the best soccer player, her daughter is the best preschool student to the point where the teachers are fighter over having her in class. Strangers go up to her and comment on her kids b/c they are so beautiful. She enters them into modeling contests and emails everyone she knows about it.
I have gotten to the point where I avoid her just for sanity's sake! We get it...your kids are the best!

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2010, 07:53 AM
I had to take a 1.5y break from a friend. I am slowly easing back into friendship with her. I will never be as close with her and that is fine. But, the goods outweigh the bads (at least in small doses!).

Beth

MoJo
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
If I can't stand someone, I call them an acquaintance, not a friend.

And, I LOVE the water. . . but I came close to drowning in a class at the Y when I was in first grade. I didn't know anything about water, and no one was paying attention to me. And I've heard enough stories about a local Y from someone who works there part time that I'd never leave my children alone there. So I don't even think you're paranoid.

neeleymartin
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
thanks for the great replies. felt SO much better just saying it. deep sigh. glad to know that i am not alone. :kisscheek:

MamaMolly
05-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Snip, snip, snip. That is the sound of me cutting people like this (toxic) out of my life. Seriously, there is a world of really great people out there. Why waste the energy on someone who can't even muster up kindness?

Buh-bye!

Twoboos
05-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I know someone like this. Each time I see her (usually via a mutual friend's event or randomly running into her somewhere) it's just a countdown until she drops some obnoxious comment.

Now I just wait for it and add it to the list of doozies.

Reina
05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
DH and I had to cut off some people from our lives because not being around certain people actually made us happier than having a rich but shallow social life...

neeleymartin
05-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Miss know-it-all says: "Oh! That's great. Just to let you know though, that's when a lot of pregnant women learn that their baby is dead." :bouncy:

:47: is she crazy?!? how did you react? not sure i could have held my tongue.

Reina
05-06-2010, 10:17 PM
:47: is she crazy?!? how did you react? not sure i could have held my tongue.

I'd like to say my response was reminiscient of Bugs Bunny's Yosemite Sam: http://www.thebraincode.com/BFFL/images/blog/yosemite_sam_stressed.jpg

But actually it was so shocking that I was just tongue tied. We all were. 8 people at the table just staring at each other, trying to keep it civil...

funda62
05-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Can I include my husband?

Melaine
05-07-2010, 07:47 AM
If I can't stand someone, I call them an acquaintance, not a friend.

And, I LOVE the water. . . but I came close to drowning in a class at the Y when I was in first grade. I didn't know anything about water, and no one was paying attention to me. And I've heard enough stories about a local Y from someone who works there part time that I'd never leave my children alone there. So I don't even think you're paranoid.

:yeahthat:
and
:yeahthat: only it was my brother who came close to drowning at the Y.

I have ex-friends I feel this way about, but they have faded to the status of acquaintances.