PDA

View Full Version : End of my 1L year questions

Nu_mama
05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I know that there are some lawyer mamas here and I have a question for them now that I am finishing up my first year of law school. That is, if I can find the motivation to get through Monday! What did you do with your casebooks? Did you hold on to them, or resell? I am already planning on taking BarBri and not sure if I will need my books later or might want them for some purpose. If I know now that I will not be looking at them ever again, I would be inclined to get rid of them as the cash would be nice. :)

Melbel
05-05-2010, 11:36 PM
First, congrats on surviving your first year of law school! As for the books, I sold back virtually all of my books that were not discontinued. I still have a few books that look nice on a book shelf, but I do not recall ever referencing them. I definitely did not use any of my law school books to study for the Bar exam (took Barbri).

Nu_mama
05-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks! Will go to the bookstore as soon as my Civ Pro exam is over tomorrow.

bubbaray
05-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I didn't sell any of my books, kept them until I had passed my bar exams and then had a ritual burning. Not joking.

KpbS
05-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah, sell them if they have any value (some don't because of new editions replacing yours--I hung on to some of those). Barbri (and the like) is very thorough! Congratulations on finishing the year!

lizzywednesday
05-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Most casebooks done by my company are on a 3-yr republish cycle, so check your copyright dates to guesstimate which ones might be up for new ed'ns in 2011. (Not a lawyer but work for legal publisher on law school line ... also survived 1L year vicariously through a good friend, so congrats!!!)

Minnifer
05-05-2010, 11:56 PM
I held on to them thinking I might need them and never, ever cracked a single one open again. It's been 14 years and they're still up in my mother's attic. (*love* the burning idea!)

p.s. When I read the thread title, I totally thought someone was going to be asking whether they should quit at this point, to which I was going to respond a resounding "YES, RUN NOW before it's too late!!!"... but I'll be quiet now...:hysterical:

longtallsally05
05-05-2010, 11:57 PM
The ones that couldn't be sold back, I dumped into my garbage can and put it out with the trash. It took several weeks to get rid of all the books because if I put too many in there at once, I couldn't drag the can out to the curb. Too bad I couldn't recycle them with mixed paper (mixed paper recycling was not available in my community @ the time). Don't wait; get rid of yours now. Congrats on making it thru your first year. It will seem less intense from here on out.

Nu_mama
05-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Well, I have considered getting out at several points throughout the year, but never seriously. As far as burning the only one that I have considered that for is a 700 pg loose leaf manuscript that my Contracts prof taught from as she finished final proofs for her first edition case book. $100 dollars of recyclable page proofs. Complete waste.

Thanks for all of the advice!