PDA

View Full Version : What age will/did you get your child a cell phone?

katydid1971
05-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I just saw a cell phone ad and the people on it said they were getting a cell phone for each child over 10. I know this is a cell company trying to get more customers but 10 seems really young to get a cell. At what age do you think a child should get their first cell phone or what age did you get your child their first phone?

nov04
05-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Our girls will be getting them the moment they can use them. they will be for emergencies and speaking with us only at first, I expect several years. We'll be getting ones we can program certain #'s into (ours, emerg, immediate family) and monitor exactly what they're being used for.

They both have potentially serious health issues and I want them or the ppl they're with to have access to a phone at all times.

And for dd1, with her neurological issues like sequencing, speech, etc etc, I could see a phone with calendar, alarms, mp3 being very helpful to work on these skills.

jess_g
05-06-2010, 06:09 AM
We are getting one for my 14 year old dd when she starts high school because she will need it when she is done and needs a ride home. The day ends at differnt times depending on what afterschool activities she does at the high school each day. However most of her friends already have cell phones even one of her friends that is 12. I think it just depends on when the child realy needs a cell phone for those after school hours.

Jessica.

BarbieSmith
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Unless I find a better solution, my 5-year old will have my old cellie strapped to her when she is across the street playing in the backyard. I have tried wrist-watch walkie talkies (broke quickly), and after I do the research if I find nothing else, she will have a cell phone. But only for this purpose, of course.

pinkmomagain
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Actually 10-11 years old is really the average around these parts. I don't think they really start using them more actively until about 12. In the MS there are alot of afterschool activities and no late bus, so it is almost a necessity for kids to be able to call their parents when they are ready to be picked up.

maestramommy
05-06-2010, 06:54 AM
When they go to college. :p

Seriously, I don't know. When it's clear they need a way to call in while out. Or a way for me to get hold of them when they are out. Hopefully not for a while. I remember seeing the Firefly a couple years back. Hopefully something like it will still be available by the time my kids need a cell phone.

In our town (and others I'm sure) cell phone use during class in rampant at the HS. A lady in my church teaches music and she has caught her students text bullying. During class!

mommy111
05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I would think as soon as she was able to use one and was likely to be in any situation where we or some other adult that was assigned to her was not there. I think if we were in the US, that time would have started when she turned 5, but we're in China and there really is no situation where kids are alone here (with me, or at school/afterschool but a teacher stays with the kids until the last kid gets picked up and if the child's parents are late they get called by the teacher or school principal.....and if they're very late and the teacher has to leave, the principal lives on site with her family and they host the kids :) very protective about kids here)

hellokitty
05-06-2010, 07:08 AM
I cnat believe I am saying this, but probably in high school, ESPECIALLY after they get their drivers license. I used to have to call my mom with rhe pay phone @ HS regularly for rides after extracurriculars, and once they drive, I want to be able to know where they are. My friends vowed not to get their ODS a cell, but finally broke down when he was in 6th grade. I know that it's common now for 5th graders to have ipod touches... So I guess I shouldn't be surpised.

egoldber
05-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Actually 10-11 years old is really the average around these parts....In the MS there are alot of afterschool activities and no late bus, so it is almost a necessity for kids to be able to call their parents when they are ready to be picked up.

Yes, here 6th or 7th grade (when MS starts here) is pretty standard. I am told by 6th graders in our K-6 school :p, that some get them in 5th, a lot in 6th and most have them in 7th.

I think that for me, I want her to have one when she gets to the age that she is going more places without us and relying on other things than the school bus for transportation.

Also, cell phones are so much cheaper now and adding a "kid plan" to an existing adult plan is really inexpensive.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I think that for me, I want her to have one when she gets to the age that she is going more places without us and relying on other things than the school bus for transportation.

My plan too.

When he starts to drive, I think I will want him to have one if he doesn't get one sooner.

Beth

momof2girls
05-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Around here kids are about 9/10 when they get one.

sste
05-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I was just wondering . . . have they ruled out the whole brain cancer/cell phone concern. I haven't really looked into this but my vague understanding was no evidence yet *but* we don't yet have data on people that have used cell phones for decades or from early childhood. I think children's skulls/bone density and formation may be different too?

Anyway, I am hoping that DS never asks for one but he is already obsessed with them at age 2.5. They should make them so you can program a set amount of minutes per day or week so you can limit your child's phone time.

kristenk
05-06-2010, 01:01 PM
I was just wondering . . . have they ruled out the whole brain cancer/cell phone concern. I haven't really looked into this but my vague understanding was no evidence yet *but* we don't yet have data on people that have used cell phones for decades or from early childhood. I think children's skulls/bone density and formation may be different too?

I'm sort of wondering the same thing.

DH and I don't like for DD to talk on a cell phone, so I can't imagine getting her one for a very looong time. We'll see what happens, though. Incidentally, DH works for a cell phone manufacturer. I need to see what his current thinking is on kids and cell phones.

JamiMac
05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
I would imagine middle school when they need to call for after school activities. I used to think it would be when they started driving, but I can see wanting to communicate with them if they were staying after school.

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
I just saw a cell phone ad and the people on it said they were getting a cell phone for each child over 10. I know this is a cell company trying to get more customers but 10 seems really young to get a cell. At what age do you think a child should get their first cell phone or what age did you get your child their first phone?

My BBF's daughter is 10 & she got a cell last year for emergencies. It's a limited plan - no txt/pix, etc. - but will do if she's ever somewhere & needs her mom.

When I was 10, Mom sent me out with change for the payphone, but payphones are going extinct, so how else is your DC supposed to reach you?

jse107
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Umm....do I have to get them one? I am going to try to avoid it as long as possible. I grew up without one and I really don't see the pressing need for kids to have them. Are there not phones at a neighbor's house to use? Do schools not have phones anymore (ours does)?

I just feel like there really isn't such a panicked need to make sure kids have one--unless there is some medical or emergency neccessity.

Granted, I'm sure I will be pressured into this sooner than I would like. I personally, think it allows kids to be more secretive in communication and doesn't guarantee that I will ever REALLY know where they are.

These comments are being made by someone who wasn't allowed a phone in her room and only had a corded phone in her house even after the advent of good cordless phones.

Cam&Clay
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
DS1 got one for Christmas at the age of 11. I'd say more than half of his friends have one. I wanted it mostly because he is always on the go. He plays travel soccer and has practice 3 days a week. This way he can call me if practice is canceled, etc. I rely on multiple carpools to get him to/from practice plus he spends lots of time with his dad, my XH. I just feel better knowing that he can call me if any of those things fall through.

He is not allowed at this age to take it to school. That's my rule.

Frankly, he uses mostly for texting his friends and me. I love getting texts from him when he's having a weekend with his dad. "Hi, Mom! I miss you!"

brittone2
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I think it is tough as there certainly are very few pay phones around anymore to serve the purpose in a pinch (which is what I did in high school). I don't want to get them one, but once they are doing more out of the home activities where I'm dropping off/picking up, etc. I anticipate we might need one. DH disagrees ;) but acknowledges there just aren't a lot of payphones etc. around like there were when we were preteens/teens.

I'll be holding it hostage at night after a designated time though. I have a teenage niece who is one that was/is up texting at all hours of the night throughout highschool. Her mother isn't so great with limits ;)

I'd also insist on something like the firefly (do they still have those?) for preteens where it can only call a small handful of preset numbers (us, grandparents, 911, and maybe one other backup number).

The tough part IMO with preteens is that most kids that age just are still kinda not able to do things easily like budget minutes, not ever lose a spendy phone, etc. I truly think it would be hard to hold them accountable at that age without very close monitoring of minutes or a system in place to assist in limiting their use, kwim? Tough for a teen to do those things, but a preteen...even tougher IMO. I lost my purse in middle school like once a week....a cell phone can be so much more expensive!

g-mama
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM

The good thing (I guess) in regards to this is that I have heard that kids use cell phones very little for talking into and much, much more for texting.

pinkmomagain
05-06-2010, 01:51 PM

I can tell you this....kids are rarely holding these phones to their ears and when they do, it is *usually* for a minute to speak to a parent. Kids these days text with their friends 95% percent of the time....they rarely speak on the phone.

egoldber
05-06-2010, 01:54 PM
LOL! I was just going to say I think texting is more the norm. Make sure you block 900 number texting and be careful with texting limits.

Some kids have a problem, but I think most kids are very responsible with them.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
this is an interesting question. i always thot of delaying it as soon as possible, but i know DH wants to get DS one as soon as he is able to use one (age 4 or 5). but it would be just for emergencies and would be the kind designed for kids that can only call pre-programmed numbers (mom, dad, 911, etc). DH just wants that extra security in case DS ever gets lost or is in a emergency situation

as for one that does texting, internet, etc probably not until he goes off to college. :)

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
as for one that does texting, internet, etc probably not until he goes off to college. :)

I say if the kid wants the bells & whistles, the kid earns it for themselves.

Maybe that's draconian, but I'm balking at paying for internet on my OWN phone!!!

egoldber
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Internet is one thnig, but texting is another. You don't need an internet/data plan for texting. You can text with a really basic phone.

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Internet is one thnig, but texting is another. You don't need an internet/data plan for texting. You can text with a really basic phone.

Oh, I totally agree ... I do a ton of texting and would go broke if I didn't have in-plan protections!!!

This is a key reason why my BFF had texting blocked/turned off for her DD's phone. It's strictly a voice service and DD understands it's only for emergencies.