PDA

View Full Version : Really proud of what my sister is teaching her HS class

SammyeGail
05-06-2010, 04:01 AM
My sister teaches HS computer science/some math. The seniors have already taken their graduation exam, she had 7 weeks left of school.

This particular class is troubled students, mainly kids from the projects (you have to know my hometown). I come from a small town in AL. My sister took the initiative to get it approved and teach thru the book '7 habits of highly effective teenagers'.

I talked with her the other night and she told me about it and how it had been going. This has never been done at her school, in the numerous schools in the county! She knows of 1 HS that teaches it in AL, that and other resources gave her the information she needed.

Most of these kids were raised by whatever family member was around, left alone, mama used drugs, was drunk, etc. These kids were not 'taught' anything about real life while growing up, just life in the projects, no offense at all.

These kids are actually learning! They now call my sister 'Mrs. Proactive', lol. They come back to class and tell her how they used what was talked about in class in their home/social life and how it actually worked! Too many stories to tell!

I am just really proud of my sister, she is very intelligent but lost alot of opportunities, now works 2 jobs while her DH works 4 days a week.

I just feel what she is doing is a wonderful thing and wanted to share, it was an uphill battle for her to get this class approved and I'm so glad it was :yay:

Just think of the changes they could make if they made this a permanent 9 week course at the HS, all because of her.

elephantmeg
05-06-2010, 06:09 AM
that's awesome!

MoJo
05-06-2010, 06:36 AM
That's awesome for her and the kids. . . and a shame that it's that hard to get something like that approved.

Thanks for sharing the great story!

pinkmomagain
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
That's awesome! You should look into submitting her as an everyday hero to People magazine. She certainly sounds deserving.

eta: You can actually submit a suggestion to: [email protected]

KrisM
05-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Very awesome!

mamicka
05-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Wow - That's fantastic! Good for her! You must be very proud! :bighand:

KpbS
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for sharing her efforts to make a difference. :)

rlu
05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
That's awesome! You should look into submitting her as an everyday hero to People magazine. She certainly sounds deserving.

I think they still do those types of stories in Readers Digest as well.

smiles33
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
VERY inspiring....Her lessons will transform lives long after they've forgotten all the math/English/history lessons.

stefani
05-06-2010, 11:02 PM
That's wonderful! Yes, do submit her story to Reader's Digest or People Magazine. She is inspiring her students and she will inspire the readers as well.

kransden
05-06-2010, 11:27 PM
That's great! Just because the class is taught doesn't mean the kids will listen. She must be a fantastic teacher too!

SammyeGail
05-07-2010, 02:44 AM
That's wonderful! Yes, do submit her story to Reader's Digest or People Magazine. She is inspiring her students and she will inspire the readers as well.

How would I do this? I like the idea of Readers Digest, but I don't know enough particular details to write a whole story. Also, I should have used the term 'underprivileged' kids instead of the 'kids from the projects', its just the term used in my hometown. Again, sorry to offend anyone.

She told me about a boy in her class-a fight was starting with his step-dad. He remembered what she had talked about in class when it comes to fighting, to 'pick your battles', ask yourself if its worth it. Its being Reactive or Proactive. He could have kept fight with him because he knew he was right in the argument, but he said he choose to do what Mrs. L said when it comes to adults/authority figures and told his SD "Yes Sir, your right". He told my sister he was shocked that his SD told him 'thank you' and was really nice to him the rest of the weekend!

There is a particular teacher at the HS who loves to try to get a rise out of the 'troubled' students and get them suspended. Pitiful, huh? Now all my sisters students are loving to say to that teacher "Yes Mame, your right", or "I'm very sorry Ms. XYZ". ROFL!! The students say she gets so frustrated she can't get them to argue with her!

I would love to do something like this for my sister, she is actually dumped on by her DH and her kids. She does SO MUCH. I would love for her to be recognized for the wonderful and loving person she is. She is the strongest of all of us (of course the oldest ;)). I am 100% sure none of my other siblings would help me. She is so giving they do love her but they use her, kwim?

I grew up in that town, I know how those kids were/are looked at, to me it is beyond awesome that she is taking the effort to reach out to them. I know no other teacher would have done it.

Please reply or PM me with any advise. Thanks!

I just emailed the editor of Readers Digest, hopefully I'll get a reply!

jacksmomtobe
05-07-2010, 07:26 AM
That is awesome that your sister took so much effort to try to give the kids she teaches some real life skills. She really went above and beyond. I am so glad that the kids have her as a Teacher and that they are already able to change their lives by applying what she has taught them. Too funny that they are getting the bet of the other Teacher by being so polite to her. :) Kudos to your Sis and Kudos to you for making an effort to recognize her. It's nice to see one person doing something that can make the world a bit of a better place.