PDA

View Full Version : Where should we go for my 40th bday?

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Smack dab in the middle of the summer, I turn 40 - in the middle of July. Yay me!!! We will have a 4yo, a 2.5 yo and a 13mo. One will be just learning to walk (I'm guessing), one will hopefully be done PTing, and the oldest wants to see the world.

*I* don't want to do backflips to pack our stuff. I don't want to cook, pack in food, or clean up after our family. We want to park our van, and stay out of it for the whole time (sick of getting 3DC in/out of carseats). We want to walk/push strollers. Flying would be kinda okay if tickets from NC are reasonable and we can take PT to the destination, not have more than one layover, etc.

Can't be a beach (we have a free beach house privileges plus my mom lives at the beach) and it can't be sweltering hot (DH can't deal) and it can't be overrun with preteens (like Great Wolf Lodge was last year). I want to do something memorable, though. Remember...three kids 4 and under...and tired, old parents... None of our parents or family members are really able/willing to take the kids so WE can get away, plus we like to spend time with them. :) We're already planning to stop in at Disney/Sea World in the fall when we're in the area.

Where would you go?

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh, DH reminded me that HIS 40th birthday trip (skiing, leaving the kids at his brother's house for the day) was a bust(2 kids were up crying all night long w/double ear infections - we had to come home) AND that we'll also be celebrating our 5th anniversary a few weeks later, lol. So, we can do something a little more special and fun, with more $$, I presume.

BeachBum
05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Do you mean you aren't taking the kids on this trip? or that you'll be celebrating two things so it's more splurge worthy?

I'm really hoping you get some good suggestions (with kids) because we are looking to take a trip in July with my parents with nearly the same parameters.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry if that was rambling and unclear. WITH kids in tow, maybe not a splurge, but not a free vacation, either. We'll be celebrating 3 events (his 40th, my 40th, our 5th) Light on the water/pool stuff (2 adults, 3 non-swimmers). TIA for any ideas!

tiapam
05-06-2010, 06:13 PM
We honeymooned in Quebec City in July. We didn't want a beach or hot weather either. They have a summer festival in July:

http://www.infofestival.com/index.php?lang=en&page=festival

It's hard to see the schedule so you might want to request info by mail. This was going on when we were there but we didn't specifically try to see anything. I remember coming upon a puppet show outdoors so there were some things for kids.

I felt like we were in a small European city. We took the train from Montreal where we also spent some time. We took a cab to and from the train station. We also took a cab to go see Cirque du Soleil. Otherwise we walked everywhere. It's on the water, but not a beachy place, so you can go on a boat ride.

We stayed here:

http://www.germaindominion.com/en/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d155626-Reviews-Hotel_Le_Germain_Dominion-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

It was very nice but probably not the best choice for you. The Hotel Frontenac is the big famous hotel there. Maybe you can get the Princess Package for you:

http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/Property/LCF/FairmontLeCh%C3%A2teauFrontenacPrincessPrograms.ht m

Quite a splurge!

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
That looks fun, but maybe a little too spendy if we include airfare for 4 (w/lap baby.) That type of experience sounds fun!

mousemom
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
If driving, how far of a drive are you willing to do?

becca_g
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Smack dab in the middle of the summer, I turn 40 - in the middle of July. Yay me!!!

No suggestions for where to go but just wanted to commiserate ... I will turn 40 soon as well :(

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
If driving, how far of a drive are you willing to do?
Let's say 7 hours, then we park the car and get back in it 4 days later.

mousemom
05-06-2010, 10:41 PM
One more question, do you prefer standard type hotel/resort rooms or are you more into the woods/cabin/no tv type accomodations?

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 10:50 PM
One more question, do you prefer standard type hotel/resort rooms or are you more into the woods/cabin/no tv type accomodations?
Ummm...I don't know how the 2nd option works with babies. We've done lots of hotel/resort rooms so far with the 5 of us. Well, at least 5 different times. What are your thoughts as far as the more rustic places with very little ones.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Is there any really family-friendly place in DC to stay? Would that be fun or too hot?

mousemom
05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Ummm...I don't know how the 2nd option works with babies. We've done lots of hotel/resort rooms so far with the 5 of us. Well, at least 5 different times. What are your thoughts as far as the more rustic places with very little ones.

In the more rustic, retreat type category, I've heard good things about Earthshine Mountain Lodge for family vacations (even with little ones). Activities include a pioneer village with animals, cider-making, etc. It's all-inclusive and includes meals, snacks, beverages, activities and some babysitting:

http://www.earthshinelodge.com/index.php

Smillow
05-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Colonial Williamsburg?

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
In the more rustic, retreat type category, I've heard good things about Earthshine Mountain Lodge for family vacations (even with little ones). Activities include a pioneer village with animals, cider-making, etc. It's all-inclusive and includes meals, snacks, beverages, activities and some babysitting:

http://www.earthshinelodge.com/index.php
That looks interesting! Looks like it may be better for when our pack of LOs is a little bit older. I tried some dates in July and they didn't have availability. Maybe they will if I call.

DH says we need that type of place with a baby pool and a playground, lol.

DietCokeLover
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Charleston? Except, it will be hot. Asheville? It's beautiful there and should be cooler inthe mtns.

egoldber
05-07-2010, 07:56 AM
DC will be very hot in July. Also it is a LOT of walking if you are not wanting to drive at all.

I agree that Asheville may fit the bill.

What about Chicago? Easy, cheap public transport from both major airports. Tons of things to do downtown with kids. It would be hot, but close to the lake is usually very pleasant.

mousemom
05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Might be too hot, but might work in terms of walkability: Baltimore's Inner Harbor. There's the aquarium, boat rides, children's museum, etc.

http://baltimore.org/about-baltimore/inner-harbor

fivi2
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
I would vote for a cabin or condo in the mountains - Asheville or similar. If you google north carolina family resorts, this link comes up
http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/north-carolina/index.html
If you scroll down there is a list of the top ten mountain resorts. I don't know anything about any of these, but there might be some ideas to get you started. I took my 3.5 yo twins to the NC mountains last year (with grandparents) and they had a great time just exploring the woods and the waterfalls.

We also spent some time in Atlanta - it will be hot, but there is a lot of fun stuff for kids. (but it isn't very walkable) Chattanooga might have some fun things to do. Some people like Gatlinburg (but some people don't!)

Colonial Williamsburg might be fun also.

Jelly Bean
05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
What about Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country, Virginia Beach - they're all in the same area and are great fun for kids and adults. Tons of things for kids to see and do, kids LOVE Water Country, great seafood for the parents, etc. I have tons of friends who love visiting the area with their kids.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
These are some good ideas - we already go to Atlanta to visit family at Christmas, already spent one anniv. at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, kinda looking for something new and fun. Used to live near Gatlinburg, so I've BTDT, except that my BFF would come visit us (and help!!!) there. Actually, my mom has a time-share we could stay in there. Did Chicago briefly after grad school.

What about Boston, DC, VA Beach with a BJCMD and a Triumph or the air tire stroller combo? Are there any areas chock full of children's museum, parks, cheap eateries, street performers, etc.? Is Baltimore's Inner Harbor totally cool?

Part of me wants to do a little trip now and then head to Steamboat this winter to "officially" celebrate the 40's, the anniv. etc. I love skiing.

egoldber
05-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Well DC is wonderful and there is a lot to do. But it is HOT and humid in July. You can use metro, but there is still a lot of walking between the various museums and attractions. If your DH does not like heat, this may not be a good choice.

We love VA Beach. If you stay on the main drag, there is really tons to do. If you are willing to drive a little ;) then there are further afield attractions (aquarium, Yorktown, Norfolk) which are fun especially if the weather is not that great.

Williamsburg and it's attractions (Colonial Williamsburg, Historic Jamestown, Jamestown settlement, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA) are about a 45 minute drive with no traffic from VA Beach. But IMO Williamsburg is much better for older kids who can really get into the history and the rides.

fivi2
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
These are some good ideas - we already go to Atlanta to visit family at Christmas, already spent one anniv. at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, kinda looking for something new and fun. Used to live near Gatlinburg, so I've BTDT, except that my BFF would come visit us (and help!!!) there. Actually, my mom has a time-share we could stay in there. Did Chicago briefly after grad school.

What about Boston, DC, VA Beach with a BJCMD and a Triumph or the air tire stroller combo? Are there any areas chock full of children's museum, parks, cheap eateries, street performers, etc.? Is Baltimore's Inner Harbor totally cool?

Part of me wants to do a little trip now and then head to Steamboat this winter to "officially" celebrate the 40's, the anniv. etc. I love skiing.

Well after reading all of this, I'd probably do a long weekend in Gatlinburg with your friend and the free (?) time share. I would save my pennies for a nice long winter vacation in Steamboat since that is something you'd really love.

Twoboos
05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Disclaimer: I know nothing about this place, but I think others have posted about it before and liked it. Also, I am not sure where you are and what a drive to VT would be like for you. So this may or may not be of any use whatsoever! :)

But have you looked at Tyler Place in VT? It's an all-inclusive family resort.

http://www.tylerplace.com/

mecawa
05-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I would recommend an all inclusive resort type of place. That way you can park the car and not have to get back in it for a week, or whatever your duration is. That's what we liked about Disney, we stayed in the park, and walked or took the bus, very kid friendly, but got a Villa for some alone time with DH. My kids are 6 and 1 and I have decided I will go to places like that for the next few years.

kristenk
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Disclaimer: I know nothing about this place, but I think others have posted about it before and liked it. Also, I am not sure where you are and what a drive to VT would be like for you. So this may or may not be of any use whatsoever! :)

But have you looked at Tyler Place in VT? It's an all-inclusive family resort.

http://www.tylerplace.com/

Tyler Place probably has a waiting list for July right now. If you're willing to celebrate early, though, I think they still have space at the beginning of the season (starting Memorial Day). Rates are also less expensive then. End of summer rates are also less expensive than peak.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
$1200 min. to fly to Tyler place, plus we can't stay a week. Looks great though!

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/timeshare has the same issues we dread - having no onsite food options, plus we'd have to load/unload 3 little ones in/out of the van each day. I'd love to visit Dollywood, lol, but the in/out surrounding the visit may be annoying. Walking back to our room for the 2 younger ones to nap midday would be SO nice.

Is there any kind of Disney-ish place near NC?

DietCokeLover
05-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Is there any kind of Disney-ish place near NC?

The only thing I can think of is Busch Gardens. There is a Disney vacation resort in Hilton Head, but that is the beach and will be hot.

I don't know what this would cost you in relationto flying, but look at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, Mo. It's a very cool place.

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Anyone know of a Callaway Gardens type place near DC maybe? A lodge with stuff we can walk to would be ideal. Doesn't look like Busch Gardens has a hotel nearby. Does it?

bubbaray
05-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Boston will be very hot & humid. IMO, early fall is the best time to visit there, when the trees are turning. Its beautiful in the surrounding more rural areas (esp. Maine) and you aren't completely exhausted from the humidity.

I have never been, but I have always wanted to go to Savannah. Its probably hot and humid then, but man, always wanted to go there.

egoldber
05-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Busch Gardens is a bit away from the other major Williamsburg attractions. You could get a hotel close enough to walk to the colonial area, but you will still need to drive to all the other attractions in the area. There may be hotel shuttles.

And IMO Busch Gardens is not that great for younger kids. We went last summer when Amy was not quite 3 and there were relatively few things she could do besides the Sesame Street area. It's not really like Disney (IMO) where most attractions can be enjoyed by kids of most ages.

There isn't anything like Callaway Gardens close to DC.

There are full service resorts in the Virginia mountains. The Homestead is lovely. Not a lot for really young kids IMO and very expensive.

mecawa
05-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Are there any places near Myrtle Beach, you could go to? I've never been, but I have friends who go with their kids and love it. Hilton Head??? Those would be kind of near you right??

Would you consider Cape Cod, not as hot and humid as Boston during the summer, there is the Chatham Bars Inn, that has onsite dining, kids clubs, babysitters, and is directly on the beach. We live like an hour from there and we even stayed there as a mini vacation for just a weekend and loved it, it can be pricey, depending on the time of year, and they book really quick, but we got a cottage (across from the big inn, but still their property) and we could walk out to the beach. THe cottages even had room service and stuff which was great for bfast in the room. There were a ton of families there when we went with 3 + kids.

Smillow
05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
SHenandoah National Park - the lodges are nice & if you like to hike you won't lack for hiking trails...

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Hmmm...maybe I'm just dragging my feet about it, finding fault with everything b/c traveling with 3 very young ones is SO hard. I'm sure it's not because I'm turning 40. :loveeyes:

Beaches won't work...staying one place and driving to eat or be entertained won't work... paying more than $1000 won't work - as I really would rather celebrate by going skiing this winter. I just want to be taken care of...
Sadly, Great Wolf Lodge for a couple nights is looking like the easiest thing. I need to find something better.

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 09:42 PM
SHenandoah National Park - the lodges are nice & if you like to hike you won't lack for hiking trails...
Well, *I* like to hike, but we'd be pushing strollers and wearing people. Our 2yo is very slow, the 1yo will be just learning to walk (hopefully) and the 4you will insist on being pushed. Sounds taxing to go there, but it looks beautiful!

egoldber
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
If you're willing to fly and are OK at elevation, somewhere like Keystone could be ideal.

http://www.keystoneresort.com/

I went there with a group a few years ago it was really perfect. You needed a car to get there, but once there you didn't really need a car. It was helpful to have a car especially if one parent may want to run out and do a grocery run, but you did not need one to get around the resort. There were lots of kid friendly activities and restaurants that were easily walkable in the main village and a resort shuttle to get to further away activities. Very stroller friendly in most of the resort.

WatchingThemGrow
05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Keystone is nice (for skiing) and CO towns in the summer are awesome! Actually spent my 30th bday in Aspen on a crazy date (I lived in FL!) I'd rather save the flying effort and $$$ for winter.

What about Massanutten (http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=2) in VA? Anyone been there?