PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend your favorite luggage

jgenie
05-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I'll be traveling this summer with DS1 & DS2. I have a large suitcase but it is oddly shaped and doesn't hold much so I'm looking to replace it with something else. DH generally packs his stuff separately so it will just be for myself and the boys. What do you have? Do you love it? How long have you had it? Best place to purchase it? TIA

emily_gracesmama
05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
I got a greal deal on travel pro platinum 5 line through ebags using
bing cashback. I really like the bags and they have a warranty
that covers damage from airlines which is not normally covered.
I don't know if the same deals are available but I got them for a net cost
of 75 for 2 25 in suiters.

TwoBees
05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I got a greal deal on travel pro platinum 5 line through ebags using
bing cashback. I really like the bags and they have a warranty
that covers damage from airlines which is not normally covered.
I don't know if the same deals are available but I got them for a net cost
of 75 for 2 25 in suiters.
:yeahthat:
I second the travel pro. Created by pilots/flight attendants. It is the lightest most durable luggage I have ever owned. Well priced, too. We got ours at Macys or Bloomingdales (wedding registry) but ebags carries the line as well.

liz
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, but I love our luggage with 4 wheels. Makes travelling throught the airport, hotel sooo much easier, especially with all the baby stuff. We have Samsonite luggage which does have a warranty (not sure if it's as good as the PP warranty) and overall have been happy with it.

hellokitty
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
My DH and I love to travel with the LL Bean rolling duffel. It can fit a ton in it, it is easy to move around and it comes in a variety of colors, which make it amazingly easy to spot on the luggage carrousel. We have this one in the orange aloha juice and love it...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63917?parentCategory=4522&feat=4522-tn&cat4=2915

Just make sure that you keep in mind of the wt limit for luggage if you decide to go with one of the bigger ones.

sste
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Ten years out, at least 10 flights per year and our travel pro roll-on still looks relatively new! And works perfectly.

TwoBees
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
My DH and I love to travel with the LL Bean rolling duffel. It can fit a ton in it, it is easy to move around and it comes in a variety of colors, which make it amazingly easy to spot on the luggage carrousel. We have this one in the orange aloha juice and love it...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63917?parentCategory=4522&feat=4522-tn&cat4=2915

Just make sure that you keep in mind of the wt limit for luggage if you decide to go with one of the bigger ones.

I don't know if LLBean has changed their luggage, but I had 2 rolling pieces about 10 years ago and hated them because they were so heavy (when empty).

fauve01
05-06-2010, 12:16 PM
My "tip" is don't get black! DH got us navy, and it's better for picking out on the conveyor belt. i say better, because other people have navy, but not as many as black. i really wish ours was red or green or something different. (my sister's DH bought her sky blue covered in white clouds--not great quality but they always find it lol).

DH got ours at Costco, i think it's their Kirkland brand. it works great, we haven't had any trouble or complaints but it's only about 4 years old. It doesn't seem too heavy, but we've never compared it to the superlight stuff at the luggage store. Ours was a 5 piece set for under $150. we mostly only use the biggest one (big enough for dd's and my stuff and i check that) and the smallest bag--a arolling carry on bag that i LOVE!!! it's the bag i use for DD's and my carry on stuff. so nice it's a roller!!

HTH,
Anne +dd 10-03

luza
05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
We travel a lot and have 2 Atlantics, 2 Travel Pros, and a Delsey helium. I've had my Atlantic 22" suiter for more than 10 years and it is just now showing some wear so it is pretty sturdy, but it isn't really lightweight. My Travel Pros are lighter and wheel a bit better than the Atlantics, and have held up well for the last 5 years. I just got the Delsey because I wanted a larger, lighter bag (25") that could hold DH's suits. It is much lighter than my Atlantics and my Travel Pro but also seems a bit flimsy. That said, it handles really well even when daisy-chained to my 22" suitcase while rolling over bumpy sidewalks.

egoldber
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Tumi. All our luggage is Tumi. DH travels significantly for work (usually 2-3 flights a month) and several times a year overseas. We have severla pieces in various sizes. We still have all our Tumi, some of it is 15 years old. Tumi also has a lifetime warranty and will fix anything for free. You do have to pay for shipping, but that is relatively inexpensive.

When we travel as a family we usually take a 22" rolling suiter and a 26" rolling suiter. I pack me and older DD (and sometimes younger DD) into the 26" and DH packs into the 22" and also throw in any extraneous things.

catpagmo
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Tumi. All our luggage is Tumi.

:yeahthat: We've been really happy with all of our Tumi luggage.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I :heartbeat: Tumi stuff, but it wasn't in the budget. DH and I bought Samsonite since I'd used it for years flying to visit my father. Ours is some of the higher-end stuff with more features. We got it online - maybe bagsbuy.com (shoebuy.com relative) with a good code. We got two HUGE and two carryon bags, all with wheels, and that was before we had DC. We figured that we should go ahead and buy several pieces that we could grow into. We've yet to take all 4 pieces on a plane, but I'm sure we will at some point. I like that we can pick two smalls, a small and a large, just one large or whatever. I REALLY like that it's all one style/color that isn't black (it's navy) because when I've got the kids in the restroom, DH can go pick all the luggage from the carousel himself . He knows to get 3 carseats in black bags with lime green circle tags on them, plus 3 navy Samsonites. I need to get matching lime green tags for all our bags. :)

Also, the coolest new packing sensations in my life (besides the google document packing lists I made) are ebags packing cubes (http://blog.ebags.com/post/ebags-packing-cubes-featured-on-nbcs-today-show/). We had them last week, and they made packing/unpacking so much easier! I put a set of clothes (including unders, socks, bib) for each day in a medium bag. So, outfits for all 3 kids plus me went into one bag. Each morning, we just grabbed a bag out of the drawer and dressed everyone. At the end of the trip, I stuck all DS1's clean clothes in one cube, DD's in one, dirties in one, etc. Unpacking was a snap!

hellokitty
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't know if LLBean has changed their luggage, but I had 2 rolling pieces about 10 years ago and hated them because they were so heavy (when empty).

Was it the rolling duffel or just a regular rolling suitcase? We have the rolling duffel and I don't find it to be heavy at all while empty, in fact I remember checking on it before I bought it.