PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: have you ever shipped your pet(s)?

boogiemomz
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
we are looking at air-shipping our two cats to the town we're moving to this summer. my parents live there and they have agreed to take the cats until we get there (so we might go ahead and do it, even though we're not moving until the end of june--they are driving us crazy in this tiny apartment with the baby, one pees everywhere all the time, the other throws up on the carpet at least twice a week, plus DD is getting more mobile and we don't want her all over this nasty carpet with cats tracking junk everywhere). so i have just starting researching this, and my oh my, there are so many ways to do it, it's overwhelming!

so... if you've done this before (don't imagine there are that many...), how did you do it? you can purchase a pet ticket on an airline, but there are services out there (many, many of them) who charge to "coordinate" safe travel for your pets (not including the price of the tickets). is it worth it? or should i just buy the tickets and do everything myself? i'm not even really sure what these companies do in addition.

if anybody has any experience with pet shipping, i'd love to hear about it... thanks! :)

Ceepa
05-06-2010, 09:20 AM
We just checked-in the cats to the airlines and had a family member pick up on the other end at the airport. I honestly didn't know there were companies who coordiante things, but it doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe if a family was in the middle of a huge move and was multitasking like crazy the extra help would have more appeal.

egoldber
05-06-2010, 09:26 AM
We did as part of a cross country move. It was logistically impossible for us to get our pets there any other way because we had 3 pets (2 cats and a dog).

Be aware that the rules are quite complicated, involving vet certificates within X days of flying and tarmac temperatures at departure and arrival airports. I think shipping them ahead of time is a really good idea, because otherwise you can face a situation where you get to the aiport, but it is too hot (at either departure or arrival) for your pets to fly as cargo. This is especially likely in the summer months.

We used Delta Dash, but it was almost 9 years ago!

Momit
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
We recently moved from California to Europe and flew our dog and cat with us. It's a little different than your situation, since they were on the same flight with us. I was a nervous wreck since they had to fly "down below" in the cargo area instead of in the cabin with us. We flew KLM and everything went fine. I did a ton of research, including posting questions on this board, before deciding on KLM (thanks for the recommendation, Bubbaray!). They said very specifically that they had a pressure and climate controlled area for pets that was separate from the baggage area, and that they waited until all passengers and bags were on board before loading the pets. The flight attendant notified us when they were on board so we didn't worry that they got left behind.

There are lots of companies that offer "door to door" service including supplying airline approved crates, coordinating all paperwork and vet certificates, plus pickup and delivery of the pets. We did not use one of these services, I did everything myself without too much trouble. The paperwork was the most complicated thing since we were moving internationally.

Several years ago, we fostered a rescue dog who was adopted by a family who lived across the country. We flew her on Northwest Airlines (we did not travel with her, and her new family picked her up at the airport). That also worked out ok.

There is also a new, pets-only airline called "Pet Airways" - they only offer service in certain cities right now, and I don't know much about them, but they might be worth investigating as well.

The big thing as PP said is to watch the temperatures at origin and destination. With summer coming up, having them fly now may not be a bad idea.

Also, check with your vet but ours definitely recommended NOT sedating them for the flight. A lot of people said "Just give them something to knock them out for the flight" but the vet said that could be very dangerous, apparently it can affect respiration as well as their ability to to keep their balance and not get bumped around during turbulence, etc.

Sorry this is so long! Hope all goes well with your move.

egoldber
05-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree about being careful with sedation. One of our cats was prone to severe motion sickness, and we did sedate him. But the other cat and the dog we did not sedate and they were fine.

PMJ
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
We shipped our Dog. We did not give her any sedation, but I did give her a tsp. of benadryl before we left, which I don't think did much.

It was one of the HARDEST things I had to do :(. I think she did ok, ? I mean she was pretty shaken up once we got her from the baggage area and had thrown up a few times, but we did not have a choice.

I'd recommend putting a small blanket in the bottom of the crate and water if it is a long flight?

good luck

doberbrat
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
kinda OT, but do you think the bad behaviors are going to change when you move? and are your parents going to be willing to put up with it? or are you going to get a call saying, I cant take it anymore, I want them gone NOW!

my doberman was shipped to me from Czech Republic. but they used an intermediary who traveled w/the US bound pups. Most of my dog show friends will ship Delta Dash if they absolutely must ship. Most will go to great lengths to drive though.

I'd be scared to try it during the summer unless its a direct flight b/c if its too hot on any segment of their trip, they can get grounded till the weather changes.

kransden
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Since they are cats and can go under the seat, the cheapest thing to do might be just flying them with you or someone else to the parents house. When we moved, my husband did that. We sedated the cats and he had a pleasant flight.

FYI!!!!!!!!!! Put potty pads (are best) and towels in the bottom of the crate for accidents. Also expect to clean up accidents at the other end especially if they are shipped air cargo. I used to work for the airlines - trust me it's for the best ;)

Tondi G
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Pet Airways might be an option

http://www.petairways.com/

If not and you choose to go with a regular airline you might consider giving them some rescue remedy for a day or so before they travel to help with the stress/anxiety. If you fly with them they can go in soft carriers under the seats.

PearlsMom
05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
FWIW, I haven't shipped my pets and would never. I have heard too many horror stories of animals misplaced or lost, or temp-controlled cargo areas malfunctioning, or just regular old flight delays with endless hours on the hot tarmac and the A/C system only partly on. We fly with our two dogs at least once a year, including internationally, and they always come in the cabin with us. Cats are small enough to be carried on; I'd find a way to transport them in the cabin (with you or a family member).

My vets have also been overwhelmingly against sedation for flights (even Benadryl, unless you've given it before and know how the animal reacts). But Rescue Remedy (an herbal supplement) or Feliway/Comfort Zone spray (supposedly comforting synthetic pheromones, with no smell to humans) might help if they're anxious.

If they end up being driven on a long car ride, though, I would definitely ask the vet for sedatives.

boogiemomz
05-06-2010, 04:43 PM
kinda OT, but do you think the bad behaviors are going to change when you move? and are your parents going to be willing to put up with it? or are you going to get a call saying, I cant take it anymore, I want them gone NOW!

good points, but i do think getting them into a larger, less stressful space would help things. my peeing cat has a bladder condition that is exacerbated by stress, and the more baby stuff we get in this tiny apartment, the less space they have, plus DD is getting more curious and more loud, and they are not liking it. the behaviors have definitely gotten worse in the last few months. they need to be in a place where they can just disappear into a quiet little nook and not be bothered--doesn't exist in this apartment. and my mom is WAY more patient with the animals than even i am... no problem would ever be bad enough for her to get rid of one of her animals (or one of mine, which she considers her "grandkitties."

Since they are cats and can go under the seat, the cheapest thing to do might be just flying them with you or someone else to the parents house. When we moved, my husband did that. We sedated the cats and he had a pleasant flight.

FYI!!!!!!!!!! Put potty pads (are best) and towels in the bottom of the crate for accidents. Also expect to clean up accidents at the other end especially if they are shipped air cargo. I used to work for the airlines - trust me it's for the best ;)

i doubt it would be cheaper for us, since it would take two of us to fly them down (i can't manage them both on my own--they're big guys). plus, i don't think i would be comfortable putting them under the seat... they are VERY vocal when they don't like what's going on, and i just think i would be sweating bullets the whole time.

FWIW, I haven't shipped my pets and would never. I have heard too many horror stories of animals misplaced or lost, or temp-controlled cargo areas malfunctioning, or just regular old flight delays with endless hours on the hot tarmac and the A/C system only partly on. We fly with our two dogs at least once a year, including internationally, and they always come in the cabin with us. Cats are small enough to be carried on; I'd find a way to transport them in the cabin (with you or a family member).

i don't think we're going to be able to avoid shipping them. we drove them for our cross country move last year, had sedatives, and it was a disaster. they were extremely unhappy and made the trip incredibly difficult. now that we have DD, who will be 7 months at the time i just don't think we can make it work.

unfortunately the pet airways doesn't include either of the two airports we need. :( but thanks so much for the other suggestions, this has been super helpful!

egoldber
05-06-2010, 09:05 PM
endless hours on the hot tarmac and the A/C system only partly on

This is why they no longer allow pets to fly if tarmac temps will above a certain level. There were some horror stories, but many people ship their pets every year. Many times there is no choice, especially if the dog is too large to fit in the cabin.

And even then, I was warned when we moved that they only allow so many pets in the cabin per flight. And if one is also flying with kids, well honestly, I can't imagine.

they are VERY vocal when they don't like what's going on

The cat we sedated was like this. He was a howler and it only escalated as he got more stressed. No way they would would have allowed him in the cabin.

cmdnewton
05-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Just a quick warning about Pet Airways....as I have first hand experience with them!

I made reservations in February for my dog to fly cross country on Pet Airways. In late March, 14 days prior to her departure date and our move, I received a voicemail saying that "we hope to resume flights in June and your money will be refunded in 14 days". I'm serious, that's ALL the message said. I figured it was Pet Airways and tried and tried and tried to get in touch with them. I left messages, etc, but they were always "busy helping other customers".

I did some research and it appears that I was not the only one who had an issue with Pet Airways. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k3446682-Pet_Airways_Unreliable-Air_Travel.html And, they had been cancelling their flights as early as when I booked my dog's flight. One person was cancelled on the day prior to her cat's flight. From what I can tell, they claim that they are "suspending operations as they expand" - which sounds like a lot of BS. If they were really trying to expand, they would at least have said "sorry".

I ended up having to file a dispute with my credit card company as the money was never refunded. It was about $650 to fly my dog one way.

After reading recommendations of others, I ended up shipping via Continental. I really wanted Pet Airlines to be the answer to my guilt about having to put my dog on an airplane again, but I should have known that it was too good to be true.

PearlsMom
05-07-2010, 10:09 AM
If they're going to be shipped regardless, and you think that shipping them sooner will get them into a less stressful environment while you finish up all your move preparations (in addition to taking advantage of hopefully cooler weather), then go for it! How wonderful that you have a great mom to baby her grandkitties while you are sorting through the chaos of a move.

Some tips I've heard for flying pets are to pick less busy travel days (usually middle of the week) and to get them on the earliest flight possible, so that there are less likely to be delays, and if something goes wrong it won't involve an overnight when it might be hard to get in contact with the appropriate people.

Most airlines I've used require a vet certificate of health issued within 48 hours of the flight (vet offices usually have a template), which they may or may not ever check. Label the crates well, and if it's possible, get the cats used to them ahead of time by leaving them open around the house with treats in them (maybe not so easy if there's a toddler about).

Good luck!

boogiemomz
05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
OMG... my boys are in the air right now!!! hoping they are okay... :cry:

jgenie
05-20-2010, 04:33 AM
OMG... my boys are in the air right now!!! hoping they are okay... :cry:

:hug: Hope everything went smoothly!!

boogiemomz
05-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks! They did make it safely and are with my parents now. My mom told me when she went to pick them up, the cargo guy said, "I don't have any cats for you, but I have two mountain lions." (My guys are on the hefty side.) Yep, that's my boys!! :ROTFLMAO:

So glad to have this over with!! Thanks for all the advice!

egoldber
05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm glad it went well. :)