PDA

View Full Version : Update - he got a part! Questions about DCs who do theater

mamicka
05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Update: he got the part of Michael! We just found out today - he's so excited!

I know nothing about acting or theater & don't have any interest in it aside from enjoying it from the audience. DS1 (6.5 yrs) has a very outgoing personality & was recently introduced to a friend of a friend (started going to our church) who works for the local children's theater. He is convinced that DS1 is a natural & would like him to audition for their production of Peter Pan. We missed the original audition as we were out of town & the company manager emailed an invite to the callbacks & sent a script. Have I said yet that I know nothing about this stuff? I feel like this stuff should be self-explanatory but I'm reading the email & script & I'm all of a sudden feeling very nervous (I have a serious stage-fright issue) & easily confused.

Here's the body of the email:

We would like to invite you to attend a special callback audition for our production of PETER PAN AND WENDY in our 2010/2011 season.

Audition for the role(s): Michael and Lost Boys- Tootles
date
Peter Pan and Wendy- Mainstage Production:
Rehearsals begin September 21, 2010
Performances October 15-November 14, 2010

You will be auditioning for the role of Michael and Lost Boys- Tootles Attached are the side(s) (selection of the script) we would like you to review before coming to the callback audition. Please look over all Lost Boys lines.

Please bring a photo that we may keep for our files. It may be of any size or type---a school photo, copy or snapshot is sufficient. You may want to bring your calendar so you can alert of us any conflicts you will have during the rehearsal/performance period.

There are 5 files attached of different scenes, 3 with Michael & 2 with Tootles. How familiar should he be with all (meaning not just Michael & Tottles) the lines before audition? Should I worry about "coaching" him (I hope the answer is no) or just knowing the lines?

It mentions bringing a calendar - I don't usually plan things out that many months in advance. How rigid or flexible could I expect them to be?

Photo - we homeschool so we have no actual school photos - is a snapshot really OK? Like when he lost a tooth last month?

Thanks for any help. I'm really lost on this but I don't want to screw it up. It's not my thing at all but I think DS1 would love it. I have no interest (nada, zero, zip, zilch) interest in being a "stage mom". But he's obviously young enough that he needs DH & I to know what's going on & help him navigate through this process.

Thanks.

caleymama
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I have no suggestions for you, but wanted to wish him (and you!) good luck as he auditions and navigates this new adventure.

pinkmomagain
05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
A snapshot should be fine.

I would have him look over the lines and get comfortable with them. Not memorize. But if he can get comfortable enough to just glance at the page from time to time that would be a plus. If you don't feel comfortable coaching him, don't. If he has natural talent and the director sees potential...well, then great. You should be reading the sides with him as the roles of the other characters in the scenes so that he is comfortable with cues and the context of the scenes for both the roles of Michael and Tootles.

I would imagine that the director would want to stick pretty close to dates on a schedule for rehearsals....I'm sure if there was a huge reason to miss a rehearsal it would be OK. Performance dates would be pretty firm.

This is just my experience with dd1 acting.

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Review the lines/scenes so he's not going in "cold" and a snap would be fine; I am guessing they would like something along the lines of a "headshot." (If you've ever been to a professional play or musical, look at the handbill; usually there are headshots of the primary cast members in the program/handbill.) So would a formal photo of just your DS if you have one.

Break a leg to your DS & keep us posted on how he does!

maydaymommy
05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
For kids, even auditioning with professional casting directors, a recent snapshot is truly fine.

I agree with the pp as to preparation with the sides - if he is familiar enough to say most of the lines without having to read looking down at the page, that would be good.

mamicka
05-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the info & encouragement guys! I'll let you know what happens.

mamicka
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Posted here to bump it.

elizabethkott
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Woo-HOO!!!
Congratulations to you and your little Michael!!!! How wonderfully exciting! (Says the theatre teacher... :) )

zoestargrove
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Congratulations! What a great accomplishment.

pinkmomagain
06-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Hurray!!! That's awesome!

brittone2
06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
fantastic! :cheerleader1:

rlu
06-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Missed this the first time. Congrats! I'm curious to hear your experience since I've wondered if DS would like to go into theater, he's very dramatic, comedic and outgoing. First he needs to be able to read the lines - we're working very very hard on reading right now.

lizzywednesday
06-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Woo-hoo! Awesome job!

Tell your DS break a leg from us here in NJ. =)

Corie
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Congratulations!!!! That is very exciting!

daniele_ut
06-03-2010, 07:15 PM

It mentions bringing a calendar - I don't usually plan things out that many months in advance. How rigid or flexible could I expect them to be?

Congratulations to your son on getting the part! That's great for a first time audition!

I just wanted to comment on the question you asked in your OP about the calendar. I've worked as a theatre lighting designer for the last 12 years. You should expect very little flexibility in the rehearsal schedule, especially as you get closer to the performance. The venue has to be booked months in advance and technical rehearsals involve a LOT of people and can be very expensive. You should not expect to be able to miss any of those.

AngelaS
06-03-2010, 07:31 PM
How fun!! Did you know that CYT is now coming to your area? We did a show w/them in the fall and it was awesome! The kids have to be 8 to be in their shows, but I was VERY impressed and the show rocked. :)

mamicka
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to comment on the question you asked in your OP about the calendar. I've worked as a theatre lighting designer for the last 12 years. You should expect very little flexibility in the rehearsal schedule, especially as you get closer to the performance. The venue has to be booked months in advance and technical rehearsals involve a LOT of people and can be very expensive. You should not expect to be able to miss any of those.

OK - thanks for that info. I don't think it will be any problem at all so I'm not concerned.

How fun!! Did you know that CYT is now coming to your area? We did a show w/them in the fall and it was awesome! The kids have to be 8 to be in their shows, but I was VERY impressed and the show rocked. :)

Yes - I've got both older boys signed-up for their camp here. We go to AWANA with the Walla's so I've been kept up to date on all their stuff. I heard the shows were great.