PDA

View Full Version : FLOR carpet tiles?

brittone2
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I know these have been out a long time, and I think a few people here have used them?

We are renting a great house for the next year until we can get our house sold. I love almost everything about it; but.....there is berber carpet in most of the downstairs, including the dining room.

There is also an eat in kitchen. I anticipate keeping most kid meals in there and keeping messier projects like play doh in the kitchen. However, I'd like to explore something to try to limit wear and tear on the dining room rug regardless, as that area is going to double as a table used for homeschooling projects, etc.

I was thinking maybe something like FLOR would work there as a pseudo area rug? Any thoughts?

infomama
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I love FLOR tiles. We have one very large rug at the moment and I am going to be ordering two more..a runner and another area rug. I can't tell you how many times I have waked to a pile of dog or cat up chuck and actually not stressed. I just pick up the individual tile, take it to the laundry sink and wash it with a little laundry soap and scrub brush..air dry and good as new by evening. I really can't say enough good things about these tiles.

brittone2
05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I love FLOR tiles. We have one very large on at the moment and I am going to be ordering two more..a runner and another area rug. I can't tell you how many times I have waked to a pile of dog or cat up chuck and actually not stressed. I just pick up the individual tile, take it to the laundry sink and wash it with a little laundry soap and scrub brush..air dry and good as new by evening. I really can't say enough good things about these tiles.

That's what I'm hoping for. Food, playdoh, craft stuff...hopefully I can wash it off. If we don't end up buying this rental eventually, we could also repurpose it elsewhere and reconfigure it to work in a new space. Oh yeah, and I have a cat that barfs a few times a week so that's always a consideration too ;)

Thanks for your review!

infomama
05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
That's what I'm hoping for. Food, playdoh, craft stuff...hopefully I can wash it off. If we don't end up buying this rental eventually, we could also repurpose it elsewhere and reconfigure it to work in a new space. Oh yeah, and I have a cat that barfs a few times a week so that's always a consideration too ;)

Thanks for your review!
Go for a low pile. They wash up like a dream. I just use a little soft nylon scrubber brush on them.

brittone2
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
:thumbsup: fantastic!

elektra
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I think they would be perfect for what you are describing. We have some as the rug for DS's room.
And now that we just threw away our family room rug after one too many dog barfs we are considering it for that room too.
My one complaint is that they aren't very cozy. Of all the samples I got, they were all pretty firm and stiff.

lil_acorn
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
anyone use FLOR tiles in teh basement? Ours flooded recently & i'm trying to figure out what to do. Do you have to use adhesive to stick them down?

brittone2
05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
This is helpful! Thanks so much for the reviews. I'm okay without it being warm and cozy since we are using it over *very* well padded wall to wall, and I'm not using it as a main carpet in a living area, for example. Easy to clean is what I need above all else, and the option to replace really icky tiles or reconfigure when/if we move. (eta: and obviously we'd like to protect the wall to wall underneath it with three young kiddos).

infomama
05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
anyone use FLOR tiles in teh basement? Ours flooded recently & i'm trying to figure out what to do. Do you have to use adhesive to stick them down?
Would be great for a basement. They stick to each other, not the floor. FLOR provides adhesive 'FLOR dots' and you lay the tile on the dot..that does the trick.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
We have it in our laundry/mudroom over a cement floor. It's okay for sitting on, playing on, etc. and we absolutely have to clean tiles here/there. We usually soak them in the tub, rinsing and repeating over a 24 hr. period. We've had blue laundry detergent shake off the front loader 2x and cover 1/4 of the room, lol.

The only thing you may make you reconsider is the cost. IIRC, it was about $500 even on 20% off special order carpet sale at Lowe's. You may find a disposable rug that may be less than that.

Glad you've got a place up there already! You feel like DH did a good job picking something out?

infomama
05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
The only thing you may make you reconsider is the cost. IIRC, it was about $500 even on 20% off special order carpet sale at Lowe's. You may find a disposable rug that may be less than that.

Holy moly!! I got ours off Ebay for $80 (brand new boxes of tiles). Made an 8x10 rug. FLOR.com had some decent sale prices most of the time.

brittone2
05-06-2010, 01:06 PM
We have it in our laundry/mudroom over a cement floor. It's okay for sitting on, playing on, etc. and we absolutely have to clean tiles here/there. We usually soak them in the tub, rinsing and repeating over a 24 hr. period. We've had blue laundry detergent shake off the front loader 2x and cover 1/4 of the room, lol.

Glad you've got a place up there already! You feel like DH did a good job picking something out?

baby in arms-
I'm torn on what to spend. I'll have to see what I can find a semi disposable area rug for in comparison. Glad to know you've been pretty happy with how yours clean up (at least it sounds like you have?)

I love the house DH picked out. So far anyway LOL. He was supposed to send me "lots of pics" and I got 3 :6: but I like what I've seen. The downside is the house is also for sale and I'm not 100% sure we could afford to *buy* it unless he's willing to eventually lower the price quite a bit (I do think it was overpriced as listed when it was for sale) And I kinda think I'm going to want to buy it LOL.

The landlord seems very nice. He's leaving his exercise equip in the basement and is letting us use it. Bringing over window treatments, etc. that we can pick through and decide if we want to use any of it (would be nice since it is a rental and I'd rather not shell out too much money if we don't end up staying). He's fixing up a bunch of smaller items that I would not expect for a rental...replacing (not bad) carpet in one room, fixing a few exterior items, remulching, resealing deck, etc. Repainting a few rooms to better highlight them, etc. Seems like a nice guy...hope that holds true!
I owe you an email. Got what you sent...sounds like it could be helpful!

brittone2
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Holy moly!! I got ours off Ebay for $80 (brand new boxes of tiles). Made an 8x10 rug. FLOR.com had some decent sale prices most of the time.

Do you remember if it was sold by an individual or a bigger entity by any chance? 80 would be sweet LOL!

I'd like to keep it under $250 if possible. At that point I'd probably end up rolling the dice and consider a regular 8x10 rug if it was going to run more than that.

o_mom
05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
IKEA has a good size area rug with a rubber backing. I was considering one for our basement to go over the carpet as a way to contain spills, etc. Didn't end up getting it (decided to move the art stuff upstairs on the laminate), but it wasn't too much. I'll try to find it here in a minute.

infomama
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Do you remember if it was sold by an individual or a bigger entity by any chance? 80 would be sweet LOL!

I
Not off the top of my head. We have had this rug for about 4 years. It was pure luck, I think.
That being said..these are worth it to me. I have 2 area rugs in my basement waiting to be cleaned (pet stains) but honestly..I probably will just get rid of them (and I feel badly about that)

legaleagle
05-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Wait, you can install flor over carpet? I thought it had to be on hard floors. Another cheap option would be to get a remnent from a carpet store bound - friends that lived in apts do this all the time.

infomama
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Wait, you can install flor over carpet? I thought it had to be on hard floors.
You are right. FLOR tiles were not designed to be installed on top of wall to wall carpet. My goodness Brittone2, I just re read your post and now realize that you are putting this on top of another rug. FLOR may not work as you hoped in this situation.

brittone2
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Aw shucks ;) For some reason I was thinking you could put it over wall to wall but if you are using the dots to hold it together/to the floor it makes sense that you would only want to put it over a hard floor.

Off to explore inexpensive area rug options I suppose LOL!

Thanks for the help anyway...we may end up using it in the future when we buy again.

infomama
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
GL. Keep it on your back pocket for sure. Great concept and super product.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Mine was an entire room, in one of the more $$ patterns.

infomama
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Mine was an entire room, in one of the more $$ patterns.
That would explain it. :)