PDA

View Full Version : Cough Syrup

ZeeBaby
05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Has anyone had their ped prescribe a cough syrup for a child under 2? She was diagnosed with bronchiolitis. I have a call in now because the med has a contradindication for children under 2. Its Bromfed DM.

MaiseyDog
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
It's not contraindicated. It just shouldn't be given to young kids without an MD's supervision. Because of the risk of sedation with these type of cold medications, an accurate dose is very important. All the active ingredients in this product are available over the counter, but due to risk of side effects, FDA has removed all OTC dosing for kids under 2 so that parents don't try to self treat.

ZeeBaby
05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I am trying to figure out the norm now. Are peds still prescribing these meds? My cousin is a ped and she was really surprised that our ped gave this med.

Tondi G
05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Many peds don't prescribe cough/cold meds for children under the age of 2 since the AAP changed their recommendation (thats why bottles say ask a physician for under age 2 on the bottle/box) . There were situations where parents were giving their children multiple medications (usually combo cough/cold meds which had tylenol in it and then additional tylenol/motrin as a fever reducer etc) and their children were overmedicated. You should to your ped if you want to discuss it further or are worried.