PDA

View Full Version : Need Baby Girl Middle Name . . .

sste
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
BBers I am making progress thanks to your incredible help. For a boy's name we have Emmet Henry (henry is a family name, a bit preppy for us when coupled with Emmet but beloved family member).

For a girl, I *think* DH and I have settled on . . . Clara! I think it just barely passes the could be a CEO test, is two syllables (for those of you who remember prior posts Eliza was a strong contender but three syllables and we are LAZY people), is easy to say a million times, and while not Jewish is also not strongly christian-associated so dh is happy.

Any ideas for a middle name? The baby's last name will begin with an "M" and be two syllables. I am open to any suggestions.

Also, if someone has ideas about how to create a new middle name from the base of Dimitra (my mother's name) that would be helpful - - my mother is fairly end-stage and she is driving us all batty wanting the new baby to be named after her and in fact REFERRING to the new arrival as little Demi. Though Dimitra is a nice name I have never taken to it personally but maybe a spin-off name . . .

boolady
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I love love love the name Clara. In fact, it was my #1 "maybe sometime in the future name," but a coworker just used it and I feel like it's too unique to use now. Anyway, they named their DD Clara Rose twosyllablelastname. I know Rose is really popular right now, so you may not want to do that if it bothers you. I'm going to think on how to work your mom's name in, because it's such a nice idea.

KpbS
05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
My DN is named Clara Catherine. She is adorable!

eliasmom
05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I really like Clara too.

The middle name is a stumper - I can't think of any variations. Could you get away with just choosing a middle name that starts with D to honor your mom? Or do you like her middle name better? Or maybe her maiden name?

sste
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
This is funny because DH's first suggestion last night was Clara Rose but I am worried it might be a little too feminine when put together with Clara (kind of like my issue with Emmet and Henry, I love both alone but together they compound the anglo-ness of each - - though I am very happy with Emmet Henry because of the family name aspect and for all the moms of Henry we do love that name too).

My mother's middle name is Olga which would not work with Clara . . . a middle name starting with "D" may work. Though other middle names suggestions are welcome too. My mom is such a pita that she probably won't be happy with just a "d letter middle so we may as well please ourselves.

HIU8
05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
What about the following:

Clara Dee
Clara Joy
Clara Michelle
Clara Cathleen
Clara Daneen

pinay
05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
If you want to go with a D middle name:

Clara Denise
Clara Danielle

I was looking up what Dimitra means and it doesn't help much- follower of Demeter :) but she's the mother of Persephone and the goddess of the harvests/controls the seasons so maybe you could do something that relates and just explain the connection to mom?

Twoboos
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Honestly, I kinda like Clara Demi. :)

sste
05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks HUI8 and twoboos I am going to sit with Clara Demi. Really, my difficulties with this are probably due to my mental associations with my mother more than the name itself!

My first choice would be Clara Eve.

But, entirely coincidentally DH's deceased grandmother is named Eva and I am nervous my mother would go nuclear if we didn't name after her and instead chose a name that she would perceive as naming after DH's side of the family.

HIU8
05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I like Clara Demi. It sounds very nice.

egoldber
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I like Clara Danielle. We almost used that for younger DD. Her middle name is Michelle.

Older DD's middle name is Elaine, which I think goes nicely with a name ending in "ara" .

Smillow
05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Clara Diane
Clara Daphne
Clara Marie
I don't care for Clara Demi (maybe I am pronouncing it wrong?) ... or Clara Demitra.

Tondi G
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Clara Danielle
Clara Desiree
Clara Dahlia
Clara Dawn
Clara Delaney
Clara Delilah
Clara Denise
Clara Danika

Clara Paige
Clara Elise
Clara Amalie
Clara Sophia
Clara Elizabeth
Clara Josephine
Clara Natalie

almostamom
05-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Any chance you'd be willing to go with two middle names? I like Clara with a single syllable middle name such as Eve (or Rose, Jane, etc.) and you could add Dimitra as a second middle name. Yes, it's a bit of a mouthful, but you'd get to use the middle name you like, your mom would be happy, and how often do you use your child's full name? ;) Just an idea....we did that with DS because there were two people we wanted to honor with middle names.

Linda

elektra
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Clara Delaney
Clara Delilah

I really like these two.

Yah, Clara Marie probably won't work, as it's a variation of the Christian "Mary". ;) Sounds nice though!

Clara Juliette
Clara Jacqueline
Clara Nicole

TwinFoxes
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Any chance you'd be willing to go with two middle names?

I'm a fan of this. I've posted before that DDs MN is my MIL's boring first name. I WISH I had thought to give her two middle names. Sigh.

I personally think your mom's name is really cool, and sounds good with Clara. And honestly, if your mom is really hoping the baby is named after her, I don't see how Danielle or any other D name will work. That being said, how about Dina/Dena?

I'm not a fan of Demi. The only Demis I've hear of are Moore and Lovato, it seems like you hopped on a bandwagon (which obviously you didn't). And with Demi Lovato, who's to say she won't be the next Lindsay Lohan? (hopefully not.) She's young enough that she may still be in the public eye when your DD is school-aged.

luckytwenty
05-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm also Jewish and know what you mean about wanting a name that if not actually from the Torah or Israel, isn't Christian. What about:

Some possibilities I like:

Clara Dahlia
Clara Rachel
Clara Gabrielle
Clara Lauren
Clara Allison (I like having "ls" in the middle name to pick up the CL)
Clara Rebecca

boogiemomz
05-06-2010, 01:00 PM
clara was on our short list for DD... and while it didn't make the final cut, i LOVE this name! so sweet.

here were the clara + mn combos we considered:

clara ashley
clara eden (our favorite, this would have been it if we had chosen it)
clara joy
clara laine
clara elizabeth
clara margaret
clara jane
clara paige
clara lucille
clara violet

fivi2
05-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Clara Demi works for me.

baby name wizard had Dimitria (with the extra i before the a) as a variation, and I like that with Clara.

Clara Elise is nice and sounds like your other thought for first name.
Clara Danielle flows imo also.

I can't tell from your post if you don't want to use your mom's name because you don't care for the name, or if you don't want to use it because of issues with your mom. If it because of issues with your mom, then I would stand your ground and not name your daughter after her. I have serious mom issues and it would be a huge problem for me if one of my children were named after her!

Good luck!

becca_g
05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks HUI8 and twoboos I am going to sit with Clara Demi. Really, my difficulties with this are probably due to my mental associations with my mother more than the name itself!

My first choice would be Clara Eve.

But, entirely coincidentally DH's deceased grandmother is named Eva and I am nervous my mother would go nuclear if we didn't name after her and instead chose a name that she would perceive as naming after DH's side of the family.

I like both Clara Demi and Clara Eve.

jgenie
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Clara Elise sounds nice.

Snow mom
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Could you go with Clara Mitra or another variation of Dimitra? I guess having two names that end in a might be a bit awkward but I think I prefer it to Clara Demi (makes me thing "demi bra" when I see it on paper.)

mamicka
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
A lot of the MN suggestions are really nice. I like Clara Demi & Clara Lucille.

I'm glad to hear you're using Clara - it's one of my all-time favorites.

goldenpig
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Clara is a great name (was on my list) and I like your boy name too. I like the idea of two middle names if you want to honor your mom but aren't crazy about her name. You could also do one Jewish middle name and the other for your mom. I agree it should either be her name or very close to it rather than just a D name if she is that insistent on the baby being named after her. But don't do it just because she wants it...only if you want to do it. It's your baby!

What do you think of the following (I used nymbler.com with Clara, Dimitra, Emmet & Henry):
Clara Josephine Dimitra Mason (example last name)
Clara Jane Dimitra Mason
Clara Juliet Dimitra Mason
Clara Eleanor Dimitra Mason
Clara Evelyn Dimitra Mason
Clara Esther Dimitra Mason
Clara Ruby Dimitra Mason
Clara Ruth Dimitra Mason
Clara Rachel Dimitra Mason
Clara Violet Dimitra Mason

I also like Demeter which would be similar enough to your mom's name to work.

Gracemom
05-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I like Clara Grace. But of course I would, Grace is my dd's name!

Piglet
05-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I think the thought behind Clara Demi is very nice, even if you don't immediately love it.

If you aren't set on Demi, I like Clara Sophia.

fivi2
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Ooh - I really like pp's Clara Jane - very cute.

I also liked Clara Demeter!

sste
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
You guys are amazing!! Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, looking up on nymbler, finding the greek derivatives of demitra - - I am in awe of the power of this board and the savvy of its posters.

What does everyone think about Clara Bea or Clara Beatrice (possible second middle name Demetra)? Is it too cutesy?

Just phoned DH and ran down the list and he loved many of the suggestions but has always been partial to Bea. I guess Eve would be tricky because his sister, who has had three miscarriages this year including one at the end of her second trimester, wants to use "Eva" as a first name - - so we decided we should err on the side of extreme caution and not use Eve or Evelyn, which was another great suggestion from a poster. I also love a bunch of the other E names suggested including "Elaine" and "Elise" so we are thinking about those too. I also like "Clara Lise" but maybe that sounds too much like fur delise (spelling is wrong, but that song).

infomama
05-06-2010, 03:46 PM
What does everyone think about Clara Bea or Clara Beatrice (possible second middle name Demetra)? Is it too cutesy?

I love Clara Bea. I was going to suggest Clara Belle. Those names are so pretty to my ear.
I also really like Clara Simone

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I love Clara Bea. I was going to suggest Clara Belle. Those names are so pretty to my ear.
I also really like Clara Simone

Don't do Clara Belle.

It's the name of the clown from 'Howdy Doody' (Clarabel); not a bad thing, but Clarabel's gimmick was communicating in yes/no responses using bike horns. He only spoke during the last episode to say "goodbye kids."

OK the TV show and its host are long gone, but I am sure someone's parents or even grandparents could have that association.

Also, one of Thomas the Tank Engine's two coaches is named Clarabel, so there's a more modern reference than Howdy Doody!!!

infomama
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Don't do Clara Belle.

It's the name of the clown from 'Howdy Doody' (Clarabel); not a bad thing, but Clarabel's gimmick was communicating in yes/no responses using bike horns. He only spoke during the last episode to say "goodbye kids."

OK...that is disturbing. I didn't know about that character so I never would have never associated Clara Belle with that clown. Creepytown!!! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9e/Howdydoody_finale.jpg/220px-Howdydoody_finale.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Howdydoody_finale.jpg)

sste
05-06-2010, 04:27 PM
This is interesting . . . like infomama, I was drawn to Clara Belle but I had this feeling I couldn't place that the name was familiar and not in an entirely good way. Now I know why!! That is too funny.

DietCokeLover
05-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I love Clara Bea! I also like Jane.

DrSally
05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Clara Elise sounds nice.

I really like this and Clara Sophia. Clara is a beautiful name.

ilfaith
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Normally, I wouldn't suggest or encourage the use of Demi as a name. Its celebrity associations are just too strong. Not that there are negative associations to either Demi Moore or Demi Lovato, but the name is unusual enough that they are probably the only Demis anyone has heard of.

But in your case, I think it would be a lovely tribute to your mother, and I think it flows nicely with Clara (particularly pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable...De-MI not DEM-i).

goldenpig
05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Clara Beatrice is very pretty and you could still call her Clara Bea as a nickname.

fauve01
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I love so many of the suggestions!

i haven't seen Clara Anne yet... :yay:

Anne + DD 10-03

fivi2
05-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure that Clarabelle Cow is a current character on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

I like beatrice - Beatrix was on our short list for a while. Clara Bea doesn't flow quite as well for me.

dcmom2b3
05-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Clara is a beautiful name!

Clara Luce pronounced "loose," not "lu-cee."

vludmilla
05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I like Clara Demi. It sounds very nice.

Clara Demi sounds very nice!

Melbel
05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I love Clara - what a beautiful name. As for middle names, my favorites include:

Clara Grace
Clara Elise
Clara Elizabeth

If you use an "A" middle name, then the initials would be CAM which would make for a cute nick name (Cam or Cammie). Off the top of my head...

Clara Ansley
Clara Annette
Clara Addison
Clara Demetria

I am not a fan of Clara Belle or Clara Bea because the sound too cutesy IMO (not to mention the MMCH cow reference and scary clown picture for Clara Belle). I would not feel guilted into naming your DD after your mom if it is not what you truly want. For D middle names, I like

Clara Delaney
Clara Delilah
Clara Danielle

Maggie'sMom
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
If still considering a D middle name, my sister's MN is DaNay pronounced Duh-neigh.

sariana
05-06-2010, 08:56 PM
It's not much of a change, but what about Demetria? Isn't that Demi Moore's real name? (Not relevant, just commenting.)

Clara Demetria lastname (I think you said it was 2 syllables? I like that rhythm.)

ilfaith
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
If still considering a D middle name, my sister's MN is DaNay pronounced Duh-neigh.

Similarly, there is Danae
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Danae
which we considered if DS2 had been a girl (to honor my grandfather, Danny)

KpbS
05-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Similarly, there is Danae
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Danae
which we considered if DS2 had been a girl (to honor my grandfather, Danny)

I have a friend who is Donia (Don-aye).

I think Clara Demetria is a nice compromise and has a good flow to it. If you chose to use the "D" but not your mom's name, I think Clara Danielle is also very pretty.

Is there a poll coming on? ;)

michellerw
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Like Clare Booth Luce? :)

I love your mother's name! Why not just use an alternate version of Dimitra? Is it too close still?

funda62
05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Clara Louise
Clara Jane
Clara Denise

TwinFoxes
05-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Pretty sure that Clarabelle Cow is a current character on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!

I like beatrice - Beatrix was on our short list for a while. Clara Bea doesn't flow quite as well for me.

Clarabelle is definitely a character on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Trust me. Oddly, she's like a skinny society girl cow.

I also like Beatrice, but not Bea so much...sounds a little "hick" to me.

Immediately thought of Clare Boothe Luce. But there are certainly worse people to name a DD after! She was pretty interesting woman.

egoldber
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Bea automatically makes me think of Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith Show. :o

TwinFoxes
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Bea automatically makes me think of Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith Show. :o

Maybe that's the "hick" association I have.

sste
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Well, upon further discussion with DH, we (he) is more hick than hick! Because it turns out that his actual draw to Bea is to "Bee." As in the nature/bumblebee dimension! So, his first choice would be:
Clara Bee

I am worried that sounds even more like a fictional character. I think I am going to have to push for Clara Beatrice or his second choice Clara Rose. Though I am so happy to have a first name that I am fairly willing to compromise - - last pregnancy we almost ended up having to see a name counselor we were at such loggerheads.

I am also printing this entire thread for him. It has been so helpful!!

fivi2
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I feel your pain, my dh definitely had some different ideas about names!

If you want to call her Clara Bee (which is adorable on a toddler, but maybe not on a CEO ;) ) I would do a middle name that starts with B. Beatrice like you wanted.... That's all I can think of :)

catpagmo
05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
What about Clara Lee? It's similar to Bee.... I dunno, I kinda like Clara Bee!

I love the middle name Lee...it's DD's, my Mom's, and my MIL's. :)

Ceepa
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Going off your Dh's affection for Bee

Clara Bailey
Clara Bess
Clara Day
Clara Jane
Clara June
Clara May
Clara Rae
Clara Rose
Clara Wren

boogiemomz
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
What about Clara Lee?

hmm... reminds me of sara lee.

i like the idea of a mn that begins with 'b' and using the initial for clara b. i'm not a fan of the "b-e-e." i would push for rose if it's between that and bee.

spanannie
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I like Clara Grace. But of course I would, Grace is my dd's name!

I was coming to write Grace, as well!