PDA

View Full Version : Ibert or Co-Pilot Limo for DS2?

arivecchi
05-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to decide what to get for DS2 who is 15 months old (about 24 pounds/32 inches long). We already have a Co-Pilot Limo for DS1 on DH's bike, but I was thinking that an Ibert may be easier for me since I don't have DH's strength (seems like it might be easier to balance the bike). Would be used with a Trek 7100. Any thoughts?

Penny's Pappa
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't know anything about them, but that iBert thing looks scary to me. I mean, the seat is mounted to the stem. What happens if you have to make a sharp turn to evade something?

arivecchi
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I am not getting a trailer in the city, so it is either the Ibert or the Co-Pilot.

http://www.amazon.com/iBert-Safe-T-Front-Mounted-Bicycle/dp/B000H4E7EO

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/CoPilot-Limo-Bicycle-Child-Seat/dp/B000G1YO2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1273162218&sr=1-1

brittone2
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
DH uses the copilot when we aren't using our Burley d'Lite. I'm sooo not a cyclist, so I don't ever use it on my bike (I let that to dh ;) ). No complaints about the copilot seat here (eta: from Dh, as I've never used it on my bike. He does all the hard work ;) )

wellyes
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I use an iBert. It's awesome. Before I tried it I wasn't sure it'd be safe, but having used it I am very comfortable with it. The child is snuggled between your arms. I love being able to see and talk to DD when we're out on a ride. I wouldn't use it in heavy traffic or going fast on an uneven surface, I wouldn't use any baby seat in those circumstances.

My 1st preference with family biking is using a trailer that DH pulls, but for in-town or solo riding the iBert is fun and easy.

I biked without DD more often than with her, so I loved that the iBert was easy to get on & off and didn't have any extra hardware involved.

The thing to watch out for is that the child has a front-row seat - which is thrilling & fun for them - but also means they'll be exposed to wind / sun. Dress the kid extra warm if it's even slightly chilly out. You will be warm on the bike because you're getting a cardio workout but he'll just be sitting there exposed to the wind. And sunglasses & sunscreen are good. All that is true on any bike.

Other things - it does affect your balance but, I think, less so than with a back-mounted heavier seat. Also remember no kickstand use with baby on board!

infomama
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I researched these and I decided on the Co Pilot (didn't buy one, we got a new puppy that summer and needed a place for her to ride, too). I liked the fact that it didn't impede my knees/steering and if dd fell asleep she would be able to do that. I can't imagine how a baby could sleep in an ibert.

arivecchi
05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
I think I am just going to get another Co-Pilot Limo. The reviews on Amazon include some where people had accidents with the Limo and the kids were unscathed.

mrshalco
05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
We have the Wee Ride Kangaroo Child Seat and we love it! We bought it when DS #1 was young and can't wait to use it DS#2 this season!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=wee+ride+baby+bicycle+seat&x=0&y=0&sprefix=wee+ride+ba

LBW
05-06-2010, 03:32 PM
My kids would lean one way or another in the iBert and totally through off my balance, so I'd get the copilot.