PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to cover tile floors with something softer?

YouAreTheFocus
05-06-2010, 01:42 PM
We have a 7 mo old baby, and our house is about half ceramic tile and half carpet (maybe even more tile than carpet). The tile is over concrete so it is HARD. I am thinking ahead to when he is crawling/walking...do we need to try to cover the tile with something for falls, etc? And what would that be?

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Hmmm, that might not be a bad idea if he is in those rooms primarily. When my ds2 was learning all those things he happened to be spending most of his time in our carpeted (and gated) family room vs the hardwoods of the rest of the house. I am sure your little one will be fine w/o floor coverings but if you want to buy area rugs with no slip pads that wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Beth

elliput
05-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I would not worry about it. Considering this is the type of floor your child is going to be living on, he really should get used to it, IMO.

PunkyBoo
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Like PP said, it depends on if that's his primary play area. If my primary play area was hard tile, I'd probably put down an area rug or those foam tiles just so he'd be comfy (and my behind would be comfy when having floor time together).

Indianamom2
05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Personally, if he's going to be in those areas much, I would find some cheap area rugs to at least cushion is knees/head.

We have ceramic tile in our kitchen/hallway and though much of the floor is covered with the kitchen table and other furniture, I do have a large area rug in the one big open area. It was cheap...and I mean really cheap. It's just a solid color rug, but it has to be a little safer if he falls, kwim?