PDA

View Full Version : Telling 7yo about Grandma's cancer

Momof3Labs
05-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Thank you again for all the support in my earlier thread. We haven't told the kids anything yet, but will have to tell DS1 relatively soon (he's the only one who will really understand, and he's also the closest to Grandma). Reading books and talking about things tends to work well around here - does anyone have any suggestions for kids' books that introduce the idea of a grandparent with cancer?

TIA!!

tiapam
05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't have any specific suggestions, but you might try the library if you have time. This is the sort of topic that children's librarians make bibliographies for as patrons ask for these books from time to time. They might even have the list on their website with links to the books in their catalog. That way you can reserve them or call and ask them to pull the books for you. You can also call and just ask them to choose a few and put them aside for you to pick up. I know you are spread kind of thin right now, so that would make it easier on you.

Also, this list might be a good place to start:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/takeonestep/cancer/resources-bibliography.html#children-picturebooks

I think I have read Good Luck Mrs.K and thought it was well done. The reviews seem good and the level is probably just right.

firstbaby
05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Lori, I don't have any book suggestions but wanted to send P & PT to you and your family. I missed your other thread.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Lori, So sorry! :22: It really depends on the child. I was 5 when my mom died, and I knew it was going to happen, because my family was very open. Def. work with the child's personality!

mamicka
05-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :hug::hug: