PDA

View Full Version : DS is asleep, and I'm watching TV...

Sweetum
05-06-2010, 04:17 PM
and I'm catching an episode of Everybody loves Raymond - Debra is asked to bring a snack for Tee-ball (is that how it's written? oh dear, I have tons to learn about bringing up a child in America!), and she brings pretzels. The "coach" points out that they said healthy snacks and that pretzels was not on the approved snack list. I agree that pretzels are not a good snack, but what would you do if someone does end up bringing something like that? Or for that matter, if you did something like that.

And I just saw a Gerber commercial that ended saying "this is the Gerber generation" and I thought to myself, yes it is! and not because kids eat and parents like gerber, but everyone is certainly busy and stressed for time that homemade food, even for a baby is tough, and bottled food is becoming the norm. I cook food at home, and I know that it's really tough, and always keep some bottled food at hand...just thinking about stuff...

zoestargrove
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
dh is coach of our tball (tee-ball) team and I coordinate the snacks. I recommend that everyone bring their own healthy snack and water during the weeknight game if they choose and we rotate the shared snacks for saturday games. Honestly, I'd give those up too except I was really getting the feeling I was being grinchy.

IRL, I feel like the snack police - but all these "snack" obligations annoy me. (and I love to cook and have a healthy love for food in general).

The other team last night - doled out snacks and each player (5 and 6yo) was given a large 99cent bag of smart food and a capri sun - and from what I saw last year that is typical.

To answer your question, I'm not confrontational and I'd never make someone feel badly for the choice of snack they brought to share with the group. - just like I would never tell a gift giver that their gift was junk.

daisymommy
05-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Pretzels may not be oranges or cut-up veggies, but around here, when I give my kids pretzels for a snack, everyone rolls their eyes because their kids are eating Doritos and a red-colored sugar water drink. I personally don't think pretzels (wheat flour and water) are all that bad.

tiapam
05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Pretzels may not be oranges or cut-up veggies, but around here, when I give my kids pretzels for a snack, everyone rolls their eyes because their kids are eating Doritos and a red-colored sugar water drink. I personally don't think pretzels (wheat flour and water) are all that bad.

yeah, I don't think pretzels are that bad. op, are you sleep deprived by any chance :)? i find that's generally not a good time to start thinking too hard about stuff!

Green_Tea
05-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Pretzels are a go-to snack around here. If someone intimated that pretzels were not up to their standards, I'd let them know that they are welcome to be 100% in charge of all future snacks.

FWIW, I think the "snack culture" has spun wildly out of control.

jenmcadams
05-06-2010, 05:29 PM
The other team last night - doled out snacks and each player (5 and 6yo) was given a large 99cent bag of smart food and a capri sun - and from what I saw last year that is typical.

This honestly sounds like one of our team snacks.

My DH coaches and I help with my DDs soccer team. They have been playing together since K (now in 2nd) and we have several allergies (including gluten) so our snacks tend to be either fruit, dried fruit or popcorn along with 100% juice. All of the parents really want snack to stop...many girls are picky and don't eat what's brought and we no longer actually do snacks at half time; they're all post-game snacks. I've heard it starts to go away around 3rd grade here and we're hoping that's the case :)

Sweetum
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
yeah, I don't think pretzels are that bad. op, are you sleep deprived by any chance :)? i find that's generally not a good time to start thinking too hard about stuff!

maybe ;) just got thinking....you're all right - pretzels aren't that bad a snack...guess I was thnking in the context of where it was said...anyways, nice to hear all the responses, esp that people aren't all that obsessive about it, and that the shared snacks eventually go away :)

wellyes
05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I didn't like that episode. I think they chose pretzels as a way to make Debra seem reasonable vs all those awful picky parents who want healthy food and care about stuff like peanut allergies. I mean, to a certain extent yes other parents and the 'snack police' can be a little annoying. And sitcoms are allowed to make fun of stuff like that. But no network sitcom would ever dare make fun of the other end of the extreme, the Cheetos-and-McDonald lovin' families. So it annoyed me.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
i remember that episode. i'm formerly a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's junkie so i'm all for healthy snacks but that one guy was sooo annoying. the main thing that made me mad from the episode was more about how Debra was upset that Raymond didn't take her side that went around her back to please the snack police guy. i agree, if my DH ever did that i'd be PISSED.