PDA

View Full Version : More Bike Questions

HIU8
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Ok, took DS to try out bikes. He is at the top end of a 16 inch and just barely fits on a 20 inch. If we get a 16 inch he will likely grow out of it completely by the end of the summer. If we get the 20 inch he will have a hard time at first b/c he is just fitting into it. So, what do we do? I saw 18 inch bikes at target et al. None of the better/sturdier/more expensive bikes seem to come in 18 inch. Do I buy a cheaper 18 inch and let DS use it for a year and then get him the 20 inch? Do I buy a better 16 inch and let DS use it for the season and then get the 20 inch (and pass down the 16 inch to DD--who just now fits on the 12 inch)? Thoughts? BTDT? Anyone know about 18 inch bikes?

chays
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
We had that problem with DS last summer. Did you take the reflector off the back of the 20" to get the seat all the way down? That did the trick for us.

Do you have any neighbors not using their 16" bikes so you could borrow one for a few months? I wouldn't get a bike that he can't use for more than a couple months.

Cheryl

HIU8
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
You know, I didn't pay attention to whether the reflector was on or off. We were at performance bike. The 20 inch was their brand. The seat did look like it was on the lowest setting (again, didn't pay attention to where the reflector was).

mikeys_mom
05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
DS started on an 18" bike from TRU - nothing fancy. It was a bit big for him when he first got it, but was using it with training wheels so the extra height was not a big problem. This spring we took off the training wheels and I think the fact that it wasn't too high gave him a bit more confidence when he first started without the training wheels.

He is now using it for the third summer and it has held up well. We had to replace the rear tire this year because it was worn down but other than that it is still in good condition and could easily be passed down to another child. The training wheels did get destroyed, but that gave us a good excuse for why they had to come off.

chays
05-06-2010, 10:30 PM
We get our bikes at Performance. I had to ask them to remove the reflector to get the seat lower. They didn't think to do that - and I would have left thinking the bike as just a little too big. It should give you that extra bit of room you need.

BTW, where do you live? We are in Rockville.

Gena
05-07-2010, 08:25 AM
We just faced this question too. At the stores DS could ride the 16 inch bikes OK (with the training wheels), but the size appeared to just fit him. I thought the handlebars were too low and the bikes looked like he would outgrow them before summer is over. But the 20 inch bikes where much too big. It wasn't just the height of them; the increased length made them too hard for DS to control. So last weekend we got him a 18 inch bike from for his 6th birthday. DS loves it and is doing very well on it.

I know a lot of people do not recommend 18 inch bikes because they are not a standard size. But for us it was the right choice. DS has a lot of motor delays, so being able to ride this bike is a HUGE deal for him and for us. We needed a bike that he could fit well and control without struggling. He'll get a couple of years out of this bike.

HIU8
05-07-2010, 10:09 AM
we are in Rockville also. the guy at performance last night seemed bothered to even show us bikes (and we didn't want to pay $179 for DS's first bike any way).

chays
05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
They are MUCH nicer at the Gaithersburg location (muddy branch).

I hear you on the $$. DD is now riding the 16" Schwinn we got DS there. DS is now on a 20" GT (and is so happy because it is the same brand as Daddy's)! He can even handle the hand brakes and multiple gears which just SHOCKED me because he has motor coordination problems!

I will say (after having had to ride their bikes from time to time) that there is a HUGE difference in a poorly made bike and a decent one. Poorly made bikes have the chain fall off all the time and are hard to pedal. It makes kids NOT want to ride them! DS loves riding his bike so much that I had to go out and buy one just t keep up!

HIU8
05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm still on the fence. This bike will be passed to DD when DS outgrows it. I'm just not sure whether to get the 20 inch and let him grow into it (everything says the 20 inch is for 8 and up) or get the 18 inch and let him get 2 yrs or more out of it and then move to a 20 inch. I'm also wondering that if I get the 18 inch bike (no hand gears) will he be ready in 2-3 yrs for a 20 inch with gears (maybe a mistake getting a 20 inch without hand gears?)

Kindra178
05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I am fairly new to this, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. Here is what my research has shown. For "new" riders, smaller bikes are better. They build confidence by putting their feet down. Even if they are small or will be outgrown soon, letting a child get confident on a small bike is a way to teach them to love riding for years, as opposed to having a bad experience or finding biking hard. Because teaching a child to ride well is a life skill, and forever type exercise (as opposed to certain sports, for example.)

Resale on bikes is pretty good, from what I understand, so I would recommend getting a smaller one until he is excellent rider and either pass down or sell.