PDA

View Full Version : What are good Beginning Readers for DS?

Katigre
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
DS wants more books to read and I'd love suggestions for him. We're going to the library tomorrow. I'd like to get a range of difficulty - some that are very easy so he can build speed, and some that help challenge him but aren't too overwhelming.

Here is his reading ability:
Very easy (he flies through it): BOB books and Go Dog Go by Dr. Seuss
Moderately challenging (he can read them, but it takes some effort and I help him sound out the more complex words): Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw and A Fly Went By by Dr. Seuss

What have your kids enjoyed at this reading level?

KpbS
05-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Our library has quite of few of these early readers--labeled as such (level 1) in the children's section. We own some, Big Pig on a Dig, A Bear, a Bug and a Boy, Biscuit Finds a Friend, etc.

firstbaby
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
The recommendation I've heard is to make their independent reading 1 or 2 levels below their actual reading ability to build confidence, etc. I would recommend Syd Hoff books (Danny the Dinosaur, etc), Henry and Mudge books, Owl at Home, books by Mo Williems, etc. They will offer a range and may be a little too much right now to read through in one sitting, but they are very enjoyable and my DS has been looking forward to his reading time with them. HTH.

lfp2n
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure what his level is but early readers are more like Biscuit, the Rookie Readers etc and the ones mentioned by pp. Henry and Mudge, Syd Hoff etc are classed as second semester of first grade in our school and are quite a bit harder.
We blew it with my daughter and started her on books that were too hard, like Frog and Toad, Little Bear in K and put her off reading. Its taken a lot of going back and building confidence to get her now where she should be.
If you like the semi-scientific approach I cant recommend the scholastic website enough, look up the guided reading level of your books from the library and work up through the letters as each level becomes easy, maybe look at level Cs or Ds and see how you get on to begin with.

HIH