PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable location to have birthday party for 6 y/o boy?

Krisrich
05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
My sister (who lives in NJ) is having a hard time finding a location to have her soon-to-be 6 y/o DS' birthday party. She would prefer to have it held somewhere (not at her house) because her home is small and she is tired and pregnant. But, the places she's researched have prices that are way out of her budget. Any ideas? TIA!!!

chays
05-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Local Airpark or Pizza place?

bnme
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Bowling, lazer tag, mini golf.

pinkmomagain
05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Could she take him and a few friends to the movies and then maybe back home for pizza delivered and a cake. Shrek is going to be in the movies in a few weeks.

kep
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
We are having DS1's at the bowling alley tomorrow night. They had different party packages to choose from. All I have to do is bring the cake. I think our pkg was $129 for 10 kids. And no cleaning!!

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I had an answer typed all out, wonder where it went?

Agree with all of the above (movie, bowling, mini golf...). She could also rent a pavillion at a park. Community center.

I honestly don't think an at home party has to be hard. The $ that would be used on a venue could be used for hiring a cleaner. Then she could order a pizza, buy a cake and play simple games- oh, and keep the guest list small. I find that a lot of the other places are just as much work because you have to lug all the supplies and deal with remembering to pack everything you could need (candles, matches, a gazillion other things that you take for granted at home). If you can get someone to clean that helps a lot. :) It can save $ too depending on decisions made.

BEth

KpbS
05-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Could she take him and a few friends to the movies and then maybe back home for pizza delivered and a cake. Shrek is going to be in the movies in a few weeks.

We went to a movie party last fall and it was a hit. We were invited afterwards to the host's house for cake, ice cream, and presents, but this could be skipped if she just wanted to treats during the movie.

Any local parks--city or state parks--that she could rent a pavilion and have the party there? We went to a fun party with an obstacle course and the kids played tag, soccer, etc.

sariana
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
We had DD's party at our community clubhouse. It was $60 for four hours. We did have to provide everything and clean up, but the price was reasonable.

essnce629
05-07-2010, 04:06 AM
The Lego Store! That's where DS1 wants to have his next birthday party!

KrisM
05-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I had an answer typed all out, wonder where it went?

Agree with all of the above (movie, bowling, mini golf...). She could also rent a pavillion at a park. Community center.

I honestly don't think an at home party has to be hard. The $ that would be used on a venue could be used for hiring a cleaner. Then she could order a pizza, buy a cake and play simple games- oh, and keep the guest list small. I find that a lot of the other places are just as much work because you have to lug all the supplies and deal with remembering to pack everything you could need (candles, matches, a gazillion other things that you take for granted at home). If you can get someone to clean that helps a lot. :) It can save $ too depending on decisions made.

BEth

I agree. I just had DS's 6th here last weekend. Five kids came (1 more was invited and couldn't make it). It was a Lego party. I had bags of Legos for the kids to build for contests - tallest tower, bridge that held a car, dropping a Lego into a bucket. I've never had such quiet 6 year olds in my house before! We did games, presents, games, cake, and it was done.

I'd guess the party cost me about $80, including the favors and cake and decorations. We gave out small Lego sets and Lego candy as favors, so it was very simple.

I totally understand being pregnant and tired though!

jayali
05-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I live in NJ - DS will be six on Tuesday. We decided to do a small party - only 8 kids in total. I am old (not pregnant) and tired so our house was not an option.

We are going bowling and I am too embarrassed to disclose how MUCH we are paying for this party. Depending on where she lives in NJ once you label something a birthday party the price goes through the roof. So I suggest that if she goes with the bowling, golf or any other outside activity she does not disclose that it is a party when reserving lanes or calling to inquire prices. This way she can decide if she wants to feed kids and if so can do so at a pizza place or if she wants to do cupcakes/cake she can buy them at Costco and not pay a mark-up.

Let me know what she decides if I cave next year and decide to do a party.