PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get on board with the Food Revolution...

kep
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Jamie was talking about simple meals that can be thrown together using a small number of easy ingredients. I love the idea, but lack the planning and know-how. I have already bookmarked some of the veg cookbooks that were discussed recently, and I am looking into CSA's in our area.

Would anyone be willing to share what a sample week of meals/snacks would be? And what if you are packing snacks/lunch for a first grader and a DH?

I need serious guidance here, ladies.

LMPC
05-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I thought I would just throw in my .02 and say that I have found little steps are easier -- hey, a revolution has to start somewhere! For example, maybe you work on snacks this week....making them more healthy and less processed. Once you have that down pat, you work on breakfasts (for example). DH did this a couple of years ago when we started living by the idea of "pay more, eat less" and started buying organic food. Come to find out, it's actually cheaper for us this way since we are not going out as much! Crazy!

GL -- it sounds like you are motivated for change!!!

deannanb
05-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree with pp about taking baby steps.

and if you make some freezer meals, that helps too -
make a big batch of certain foods everyone likes and freeze them in smaller portions.
then you are able to take them out the night before and heat them up for dinner.

I like this website for the ideas -
she has some menu planning ideas -
and others post their meal plans (I think when I looked, there were over 350 other blogs with meal plans)

http://orgjunkie.com/2010/05/menu-plan-monday-may-3rd-giveaway.html

zephyr
05-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I haven't read the book but I want to. For snacks, the only thing we try to eat is fruits and veggies. I cut everything up in bite sized pieces and take this with us everywhere I go with ds. Examples include bananas, strawberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, carrots, cucumbers. I really limit the processed foods, so I am able to spend more on fresh fruits and veggies.