PDA

View Full Version : How important is it for all kids to have a seat at a party?

LBW
05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm having 23 kids over tomorrow for DS2's 4th birthday party. This party was *supposed* to be at a local farm where they have lots of picnic tables, but the a$$ farmer canceled a few days ago so he could have a family party instead. (That's for the b!tching post!!)

If I had known we were hosting the party at home, I would never have invited so many kids. Oh well! Now I'm scrambling to figure out activities and logistics.

My current problem is where to seat everyone for pizza and cake. I can squeeze 14 kids at our dining table. I can fit another 4 at a coffee table and maybe 6 at a train table. They'll all be in the same room, just not all at the main table. Will this be okay? Also, do I need to figure out a way for all of them to have a "seat"? I could probably buy crates at Target for the kids at the train and coffee tables to sit on. Otherwise they'll stand or sit on the floor. Not the most comfortable thing, I know, but they are mostly 4!

As much as I can, I'll be asking my other two boys and their cousins to sit at the coffee table and train table.

The adults are just going to have to stand or sit on the floor. I can't figure out what else to do with them!

egoldber
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Can you do it at a local park instead? Or move the date?

LBW
05-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I tried to find an alternate location, but it's a bad weekend. Because of Mother's Day, everyplace is booked tomorrow. I could have pushed the date out, but DS was really looking forward to it, so I just decided to have it at our house on the original date. I can't change that now.

Sigh.

sste
05-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe bill it to them as "Picnic Inside" and set up large tablecloths on the floor. I think (??) four year olds could manage pizza and cake on a small paper plate on the floor - - you may need to give drinks later or use take and toss straw sippy cups.

LBW
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I thought about the "indoor picnic" idea, but I'd still have some kids at the dining table and some on the floor since I can't move the table!

Would the floor be better than the coffee table and train table?

egoldber
05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
What about outside? Can you put down blankets or sheets and have a real picnic? I think that would be more fun and less awkward than trying to squeeze everyone inside.

LBW
05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah, thought about that, too, but there's a 40% chance of thunderstorms during the time we're having the party!

I'm trying not to think about the fact that if it rains, all of the kids & parents will be inside for the entire time!

Percycat
05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
1. I second the picnic idea. I have a friend who frequently does this at parties. She moves the kitchen table out of the way and spreads a big plastic table cloth on the floor. It amazes me how the kids pick a spot and stay seated until the meal/snack is over. (I just went to a 5year old party with 12 guests and the kids did great!) For a party your size, you could get a painter's cloth or spread a queen/king size sheet on the floor to designate the eating area. After the meal, gather up the cloth an shake outside for easy cleanup!

2. To answer your question, I don't think everyone needs to sit at a table and hopefully your boys and nephews/nieces will cooperate. But, if they are standing and not seated, I wonder how many of them will stay put during the eating time and how many will start running around and be dissruptive.

I hope you have a great time tomorrow.
angela

HIU8
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Can you set up picnic style in another room where you don't have to move as much stuff? Maybe basement or great room?

bnme
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Can you borrow or buy folding table and chairs? We use them all the time (we have a big extended family). We have a set of 4 folding chairs and my BILs both do too. When we have big get-togethers everyone knows to bring the chairs. I can rotate my dining table and then fit it and the folding table side by side.

Something like this:
http://www.target.com/s/186-6621637-3468853?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=folding%20table&ref=sr_bx%5F1%5F1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchPage=1

TonFirst
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I really would not sweat it. Have you *ever* been to a party where all the kids were all sitting down at the same time? They will all have a ball - but what a hassle about the farm!

That said, can you rent little tables and chairs? I always do that for birthday parties. It's like $10/table and $1/chair - these are the preschool-sized tables and chairs.

And I think it's a great idea to keep your non-birthday boys and relatives at the coffee/train tables. If anything, it's a great lesson in FHB (Family Hold Back) ; )

KpbS
05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, thought about that, too, but there's a 40% chance of thunderstorms during the time we're having the party!

I'm trying not to think about the fact that if it rains, all of the kids & parents will be inside for the entire time!

Hopefully you can round them up to go outside for cake etc. But if it is storming, I'd say just spread out some picnic blankets and in the kitchen or living room (push the furniture to the walls and make some space) and let the adults eat at the dining room table if they are so inclined. I agree w/ PP kids don't sit down very long--it probably won't be any big deal. You can carefully fold up the tablecloths/picnic blankets to contain crumbs and then open presents.
GL--hope your weather is clear tomorrow for the party!

elephantmeg
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
we do it all the time. If everyone fits you're good!

spunkybaby
05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
just spread out some picnic blankets and in the kitchen or living room (push the furniture to the walls and make some space) and let the adults eat at the dining room table if they are so inclined.

I like this idea. I think it'd be better to have all the kids sitting on the floor, rather than some sitting at a table. IME whenever there are not enough chairs for all the kids, some invariably get sad that they don't have a place at the table. Better to just have them *all* on the floor.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
We had a similar issue last year, probably will in another 2 weeks if I ever get around to sending out that dang evite!

-Little Tikes Picnic tables in the garage/carport. This worked really well for us last year. I knew someone who happened to have another one (my grad school prof, lol) so I asked to borrow it. That fit 6 on the regular sides, plus 2 at each end. Do you have any friends who have those?

-Picnic on the floor. We did it all the time with 5yos on field trips. Not a problem at all! Just designate a couple parents to set them out. Kids will know to sit on them.

LBW
05-07-2010, 01:04 PM
That said, can you rent little tables and chairs? I always do that for birthday parties. It's like $10/table and $1/chair - these are the preschool-sized tables and chairs.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This is brilliant. Just called our local party rental place and they have just enough chairs and tables left. I had decided to do split the kids between the big table and the picnic on the floor, but this will be much better. Plus it will give me a place to do our crafts.

PearlsMom
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
So glad you got some tips that helped!

For future reference, my dad used to make long makeshift tables/benches for littles ones out of cinder blocks and boards -- the bench would be one cinderblock high and the table would be two cinderblocks high. It was always a big hit, and it was easy to disassemble when the party was over.