PDA

View Full Version : What Color Mixer

05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm getting a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Mother's Day thanks to the sale at Williams-Sonoma. The classic colors are cheaper ($199 vs. 299). I'm leaning toward white or chrome; DH really likes the red; DS wants black but he's 4 and doesn't get a vote. We rent. Our current kitchen is white and the red would definitely kick up the color, but what about when we move. Help me decide.

Of course, it may all come down to what the local W-S has in stock this morning as I plan to use the mixer to make a vegan cake for DD2's first birthday.

Thanks,

Christine W

goodnightmoon
05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I was tempted to get a fun color too, but ended up getting the black and chrome. I'm so glad I did now since it matches our stainless steel oven, fridge and dishwasher (all with black trim). It looks fine out on the counter instead of drawing the eye and looking like something that should be put away, IMO.

GaPeach_in_Ca
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
I was tempted to get a fun color too, but ended up getting the black and chrome.

I have that color as well. I really like it. Matches our major appliances and also the coffee maker. I'd like to stick it in a cabinet, though, rather than leaving it out. Right now it's on a shelf on our island.

I'm kind of boring, though, so don't let this stop you from getting the red!

Seitvonzu
05-07-2010, 01:29 PM
well, i'm biased. i have RED. i LOVE LOVELOVE it. my parents bought it for my birthday when i was in graduate school- so i totally didn't consider future kitchens :) i just loved red and in graduate school the mixer was out all the time....(now i do put it away because we don't have the counter space for it and i don't like it getting dirty between uses)

i LOVE the tangerine-ish color and the cobalt and ...well, i love all the colors. my brother and his wife have the light retro blue one and it's super pretty too. i'd get what you love. you love it even if it's not a perfect fit in your kitchen (and it can always be away between uses-- you'll still use it :)

crl
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I love my red. But I have quite a bit of other stuff in red (napkins, art hanging in adjacent dining room, etc)

Catherine

PearlsMom
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I have the white one (actually, it's DH's!)...it's not nearly as cute as the other colors or classic like the chrome. I'd go bright color or chrome.

LarsMal
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
I would have loved a red one, but I ended up with black/chrome. I chickened out in the end and played it safe!

I think you'll be happy either way!

army_mom
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I love my red mixer. I just got the anniversary edition and it is beautiful. We rent also and move frequently so we never know what decor we will have next and the red always seems to "go" and add a splash of color to the kitchen, regardless of appliance color. But go with what you think *you* will be happy with in a few years. It is your Mother's Day gift!

Piglet
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I have a cobalt one and really like it, BUT it is like a dark car - you see all the flour on it. Red sounds nice.

Green_Tea
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I have had my red mixer for almost 12 years and I LOVE it! No regrets at all for having gone with a bright color.

lizzywednesday
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Mine is lavender but I wanted cobalt.

If I go to replace it, I think I might get cobalt to coordinate with my everyday dishes.

Kitchen decor, IMO, isn't a consideration, but mine's not out on the countertop.

ohiomom1121
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I have the red anniversary one also and LOVE it! No regrets on the color at all.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Wow. If you don't have it on the counter, do you really use it much? Talk about something heavy and awkward to lift!

I have white, and it sits in the corner of the countertop, beautifully.

Indianamom2
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I have a black and chrome mixer (not a KA) and it shows every.single.spec of flour/dust all the time. I think I'd go with the red.

lizzywednesday
05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow. If you don't have it on the counter, do you really use it much? Talk about something heavy and awkward to lift!

Don't get me started ... but that's a b!tch for another thread on another day!!!!

wencit
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I have a white mixer because when I registered for it for my wedding, I also didn't know what my kitchen decor would be and wanted it to match. I now wish I had gone for something a little more "fun." The house I ended up moving into had a white refrigerator, white dishwasher, white tile counters, white microwave, white oven, and a white stove. My white Kitchenaid now sits next to my white food processor.

So my advice to you is get the color you want!

cuca_
05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I have the nickel pearl, which seems very similar to the chrome color, and I love it. I figured it will go with any future color scheme.

JoyNChrist
05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I have the light blue one. It matches absolutely nothing in my kitchen, but I still love it - it's such a fun color and it makes me smile. Of course, it's not sitting out all the time - we have an appliance lift in one of our cabinets.

Twoboos
05-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I have a white one, b/c it was on super-sale discount at Home Goods about 7 years ago.

If I were buying one right now, it'd be red all the way! So fun and wouldn't even remotely match my kitchen, and I wouldn't care! :bouncy:

dhano923
05-07-2010, 11:36 PM
I have the green apple one. LOVE it. I wanted a fun color but then was worried about it matching, then realized I'd like looking at it more if it were bright green since it had to sit out on my counter. I bought it when we were renting (white/navy kitchen) and now we have a white kitchen with yellow walls.

SpaceGal
05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I have the Tangerine colored KA mixer and it matches our kitchen nicely...but we also have lots of orange things. Matching KA toaster and blender in Tangerine, orange sweeper vac, and we have our walls painted a shade of orange. Our major kitchen appliances are bisque colored...granted I would never do bisque again...but I'm not one for the black/stainless movement. Color is fun...makes you happy!

belovedgandp
05-08-2010, 12:28 AM
I went with white 6 years ago. My mixer is out all the time on the counter. It has worked well with two very different color schemes, but I'm kind of a chicken on some of the colors. Couldn't bring myself to commit.

JoyNChrist
05-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I have the Tangerine colored KA mixer and it matches our kitchen nicely...but we also have lots of orange things. Matching KA toaster and blender in Tangerine, orange sweeper vac, and we have our walls painted a shade of orange. Our major kitchen appliances are bisque colored...granted I would never do bisque again...but I'm not one for the black/stainless movement. Color is fun...makes you happy!

If I were to buy another one, it would probably be orange. I think orange is such a fun color in a kitchen!

AnnieW625
05-08-2010, 12:45 AM
I have the pistachio green one and love it (http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?sku=199261). I love classic retro 50s colored things.

baymom
05-08-2010, 01:39 AM
We have a cobolt one and I LOVE it.... I think you would not regret going bold with your mixer!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-08-2010, 03:45 AM
I have chrome and love it!

sandwish
05-08-2010, 04:34 AM
I have a yellow one because I like the color. Doesn't match anything in the kitchen, but always makes me happy to look at it because it is the color I wanted.

SpaceGal
05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I just saw this deal posted on slick deals...sounds like it could be comparable to the WS deal you getting...but you would be able to get some attachments if you are willing to wait for shipment.

Looks like Onyx Black, Empire Red, and White are $200 but if you spend a little more you can get something more colorful if you like.

Amazon has KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer in Onyx Black, Empire Red and White colors + Rotor Slicer/Shredder or Food Grinder Attachment after rebate for $200 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005UP2L/ref=ord_cart_shr?tag=sdfp-20&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

MamaMolly
05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a white one because 12 years ago that was pretty much what was available unless you spent $$$. I've had it in a cabinet and on the counter depending on the size of my kitchen.

White is OK, but boring. I have a bright red teapot that sits on the stove and I l:heartbeat:ve it. Every time I look at it I smile. My vote is to get a bright color you love. I have a sneaking suspicion that all the chrome and stainless steel is going to look dated in a few years anyway, so get something you love. Especially if you are going to look at it every day!

Twin Mom
05-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Personally I wouldn't be willing to pay an extra $100 for a fancy color but if you're ok with it, then get the color that will make YOU happy. Don't get what DH or DS want b/c this is YOUR gift.

I think it also depends on whether you will be leaving the mixer on the counter or not. Mine is white but we don't leave it out. If it will be on the counter all the time, I would want it to "match."

katydid1971
05-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I was practical and got the white one when I got married long ago. Now I wish I had bought a bright colored one but this one will never die so I'm stuck with white ;)
FWIW My mixer lives in a cupboard so it's color doesn't matter as much as if it lived on the counter all the time. If it did have to stay on the counter I would want the white to blend in with the rest of the kitchen IYKWIM.

Globetrotter
05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Ours is on the counter all the time so I wanted to get something I liked. I ended up with a silver one from Costco and love it!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10043022&whse=BC&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BC|103|51568&N=4015749%204294966560&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&topnav=

mommytotwo
05-08-2010, 04:39 PM
I have white... from probably 15 years ago. It's very neutral, but I've since gotten rid of all the hunter green items kitchen items that I had that were popular at that time. The white mixer, while boring, still goes fine with my decor and still works great.

zag95
05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I have the white- have had it for 10 yrs- but wanted the red- if you like it DO IT!!!! The colors are so awesome!

Don't think you can go wrong either way.