PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide: BJCM or PP Vela?

njs
05-07-2010, 01:23 PM
I like the basket size on the Vela, and it's really light. But I like how easily the CM folds up and it does take a little less room. Of course the Vela has the footrest, and that takes up more room, but it also comes with that bar across the front where I'd have to buy that separately with the BJCM. I'm also concerned about the straps on the Vela that let him lean forward so much - is that safe?

Thoughts?

Right now we just have the Snap and Go and a cheapo umbrella stroller which gives him no support.

It's just a lot of money to spend and I want to make sure I do it right.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2010, 03:04 PM
You'll need to push both to get a good feel for them. In another thread, a poster is unhappy with the rickety-ness of her Peg. Same with my DH. He does not like they way they feel. I would concentrate on getting something that will work for you for the long haul, not just what has a lower price tag initially.

joslin
05-07-2010, 03:11 PM
If you need support you will be sorely disappointed with the BJCM, it is like a hammock. DS (22mo) has hated it since he could sit. It was great for sidewalk walking when he was tiny though.

ljca79
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
The PP Vela is horrible. I returned it yesterday after trying it for a couple of months (yes, our local baby store ROCKS on returns). PP touts these "freedom straps," which is marketing-speak for "our straps do not connect to the seat and, therefore, allow your child to lean very far forward and get in danger of falling out." I really think this one will be recalled. It's flat out dangerous.

strollerqueen
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
The "freedom of movement" harnesses have been around for years and years. Many of us really prefer them, and many children prefer to lean forward in them, rather than being pinned aback against the seat. These types of harnesses are very common in Europe. I have never heard of a child falling out of one. If it is adjusted properly for the child's size, I don't even see how that is possible.

njs
05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
The "freedom of movement" harnesses have been around for years and years. Many of us really prefer them, and many children prefer to lean forward in them, rather than being pinned aback against the seat. These types of harnesses are very common in Europe. I have never heard of a child falling out of one. If it is adjusted properly for the child's size, I don't even see how that is possible.

OK thanks. First time mom here. I'm just used to the car seat & snap&go where he's in there pretty tightly.

any thoughts on the Vela? Did you get one yet, strollerqueen?

strollerqueen
05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Yep, sure did! Couldn't WAIT! :thumbsup: Definite two-fingered steering! It is really amazing! It does push better than my Aria (I have a comparison and full review coming), but of course, it is longer, and folds bigger, due to the way the front wheel sticks out. But it is super nice to have such a lightweight, 3-wheeler option. Some people really prefer a single bar handle, too, and there aren't many out there this light. :cheerleader1:

KHF
05-12-2010, 07:29 AM
The "freedom of movement" harnesses have been around for years and years. Many of us really prefer them, and many children prefer to lean forward in them, rather than being pinned aback against the seat.

:yeahthat: My DS :heartbeat: the freedom harness on our P3. I can't imagine him falling out of the stroller in it. I didn't have the P3 for DD, but I'll bet she would have really liked it too.

ateret
05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
We checked out both of them at BBB and I thought the vela was a bit too light, if that makes sense.We ended up with the BJCM and had to return it.Since my daughter did not like the seat-she needed more support. She is 8 months old if that helps you and had only been in her snap and go till then.

I just got the bumbleride flyer and I hope that we are good for now.I also like seeing her, which I can in the bumbleride flyer.

Good luck

Suzanne74
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree with anothe poster about the BJCM. There is no support, it is no backing like an umbrella stroller and it is like a hammock. My daughter who is almost 9 months old hated the seat. We have the BJCE and she is okay in there since it isn't as hammocky and we do the long power walks where she isn't sitting so upright anyway. Hopping she likes it even more in the future.

The Vela was nice and super light - I liked it in the store. I just ended up buying a Si because I wanted a smaller fold. And yes, I know what the PP means about the floating harness. It is a little freaky at first, esp when you go from a harnessed carseat. But it is a plus as they get older. They will sit in the seat for longer because they are not strapped down.