PDA

View Full Version : Help with Picasa privacy? Or other ways to share pics with family?

Karenn
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I've started trying to share pictures with the family using Picasa. I've uploaded pictures to some online albums and then "shared" those albums with family members. I shared them as "sign in required to view."

Somehow, SIL was able to "share" the album with one of her friends. Now her friend's email is listed on the "this album has been shared with" list when I'm not the one who invited SIL's friend to see the album. In reality, I don't mind that SIL's friend can see the album, but ultimately, that's something I want to be able to control. I don't want family members to be able to pass the link onto their friends. I do however want family members to be able to download their own copies of my pictures. (MIL is always bugging me for copies of pictures I've taken and I thought sharing them on Picasa would make that easier.)

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've spent a fair amount of my morning reading the Picasa Help stuff and can't figure it out!

Should I be sharing my pics. a different way? I know some of my friends keep a blog and put their pictures there, but that seems less private than Picasa.

azazela
05-07-2010, 02:34 PM
We use flickr.com to share photos. You can make your pics private for friends and/or family. Your friends/family can view, comment and download but can not share with anyone not on your list. We have a pro account because my husband takes a gazzilion pics but there is a free account as well. We've been very happy with it. I also like that it makes sets instead of albums, so one photo can be in more than one set at the same time. You can also set permissions by set or even by pic, so some sets (pics) can be public and some private. For example my husband's street photography pics are public while our family pics are private.

Reina
05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
In Picasa, once you are in the album in question, click the edit tab (upper left), and change the album properties. If you need more help, please let me know. I do corporate portfolio sharing through Picasa for work, so I know quite a lot about Picasa options, etc. It's actually very secure. You also have to set your share settings to "do not allow user to contribute to photos". (right side of screen)