PDA

View Full Version : How far in advance do I need to plan for Disney?

maiaann
05-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I've been wanting to take my kids to Disney World since my oldest was born. She is now 8. :wink2: We live in CO and know absolutely nothing about FL, how to get tickets, or where to stay. I've been reading some of these posts for tips and browsing Expedia. Is there enough time to plan a trip for late summer? And, as an out-of-stater, what's the best approach to planning such a big excursion? Thanks!

klwa
05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
There's plenty of time. We're in NC, and my family has been known to plan in less than a month. (I'm not sure how we're related, because just the idea of doing it that quickly just about makes me break out in hives!) :)

Okay, so I'm assuming you'll be flying in, right? So, if you fly into MCO & stay on property, you can get free transportation from the airport to WDW through Magical Express. So, you'd only need to get a rental car if you were wanting to go off site. (Others will argue that it's better to still get a rental car rather than rely on Disney busses for all transport, but we had a good experience doing just that.)

If you decide to stay on site, there are a couple of deals going on depending on when "late summer" is. You can see them here: http://www.mousesavers.com/ on the right hand side of the screen. Also, if you're thinking about staying offsite, you can see some of the deals local hotels are running. (In that situation, you'd pretty much definately need a rental car though.)

Since your littlest one is under 3, she'll be free, and won't count against you for room size, so you can stay in any room on property that sleeps 4, but know that the lower cost resorts are going to be a tighter fit. Some data on the various hotels: http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwresortfacts.html and http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/

Then decide if you want to do a package or not. If you're staying off property, you won't be able to, and I'd say, go ahead & sign up for the mousesavers newsletter, because they have a deal with an authorized reseller where you can get reduced rates on your tickets through the newsletter. If you're staying on property, and if free dining is your best bet money wise, then you'll have to buy tickets through Disney.

After you've looked through all of that (you may want to check out www.disboards.com as well), and you've decided where you want to stay, etc, jsut go book on Disney's web site or call them to book. Not hard at all. (And if you choose the regular or deluxe dining plan, you'll need to check out the reviews of restaurants and make reservations now.)

Melbel
05-09-2010, 08:37 AM
We live in Florida, about 2.5 hours away from Disney. We often take weekend trips to Orlando only making reservations a day or so in advance. So long as airfare is doable, which it should be at this point, you have plenty of time to plan. In addition to the great suggestions above, www.tripadvisor.com has great reviews for lodging and is easy to check multiple sites at one time for best rates. We have found great deals for offsite lodging at www.travelzoo.com. Finally, we typically purchase our tickets from AAA at a small discount (not sure how it compares to the mousesavers discount).

If you have specific questions about where to stay based upon your budget, then I am sure many here or on disboards would be happy to chime in. We have stayed both on/off site and there are pros/cons to both.

hillview
05-09-2010, 08:39 AM
You have plenty of time. Some people do plan a lot further off but really you will have a great time. Be flexible on reservations for meals and it will be super fun (although perhaps a little hot :))
/hillary

maiaann
05-11-2010, 05:48 PM
After reading tons of posts on this forum and playing around with airfare/hotel prices, I booked our trip. We're going to be staying at the Polynesian the last week of July. I know it will be crowded and hot, but that's okay. I'd rather not have to yank my kids out of school in the fall, and the airfare for July was cheaper than August. The kids are super excited, as am I. My DH wanted to stay at The Animal Kingdom, but after reading negative reviews about the location, we decided being on the monorail would be better. I figure we can go back to Animal Kingdom in a few years when the kids are older and we won't have to deal with our double stroller - ick! I hope the Polynesian is nice - I've read good and bad reviews, so I'm crossing my fingers. I know we'll have a good time regardless!

klwa
05-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Eh, there's good & bad reviews of everything. Hope I can convince DH to stay monorail one day. (My dream is to stay in the Contemporary, with MK view. *sigh*) Glad you decided to take the plunge!

bnme
05-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I've never stayed at the Polynesian but it looks so nice (I have been there for restaurants). And it is a great location. It would be my first pick of the WDW hotels if I didn't stay with my parents at their DVC.

You'll have a great time. If you want to plan some character meals you should try now. The best tip for when it is crowded is to arrive early. We have had good look going on Extra Magic mornings (a specific park opens early for resort guests only). Also read about using the Fast Pass because it is a great way to avoid some longer lines. I would also suggest reading up on the attractions to familiarize your self with the parks and pick some must-sees (in a guide book or online). This way you can have an idea of the things you want to see and make sure you see them instead of just wondering around, especially if it is very crowded.