PDA

View Full Version : Anyone skipped kindergarten or another early grade??

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I was a little taken aback at my son's pre-k conference today when they suggested we have him tested through the state to proceed directly into first grade. Any BTDT experience, need help sorting out the pros and cons of this. Thanks!

KpbS
05-07-2010, 07:09 PM
No, but that is the biggest reason we are homeschooling next year for K. DS1 is academically ready for 1st but age wise (and emotionally) technically slated for K. I am not aware of our district having such a policy. I really doubt they would skip ahead so early here.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
No, but that is the biggest reason we are homeschooling next year for K. DS1 is academically ready for 1st but age wise (and emotionally) technically slated for K. I am not aware of our district having such a policy. I really doubt they would skip ahead so early here.

Apparently here if they have an IQ over "x" plus pass a pretty stringent set of tests they can pass ahead. I was already thinking a full day at kindergarten would be a big adjustment and don't want to get too excited and do the wrong thing for him. I can think of a lot of disadvantages to being the youngest in the class. ( although he is probably socially mature enough).

ETA Homeschooling is not an option for us, I would go out of my mind.

codex57
05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
My sister did. Wasn't a big deal for her, but it really depends on the kid. She was one of the youngest, but only by a few days (she just missed the cut off and it annoyed my mom that she had to wait a year to start K).

JoyNChrist
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I skipped both 1st and 3rd, and I don't recommend it.

Academically, I was fine, but socially I was behind the kids in my grade and always felt awkward/out of place. I absolutely hated high school. Everyone treated me like a little kid, and I couldn't drive until the end of my senior year. My dating options were either the guys in my grade, who were two years older than me, or guys my age who seemed younger than me because they were in lower grades. None of that seems like a big deal now, but it was huge in high school. I remember agonizing about prom for weeks.

College was better as a whole, but it was still awkward. I don't think I was really socially ready to handle living on my own/with a roommate. And I remember stuff like everyone going out to a bar to celebrate the end of finals, and I couldn't go because I wasn't 18 yet. I joined a sorority, which helped me make friends and get involved in stuff, but I still felt kind of outside of the crowd. I hadn't even reached drinking age when I graduated. ;)

I'm still kind of in that "not fitting in" gap...I married young and had DS young, so most of my mommy friends are much older than me, and my friends close to my age are just finishing college and getting involved in their careers. Obviously that's not all due to skipping grades, but I think it definitely contributed to some social awkwardness on my part.

ETA - I guess what I'm trying to say with all that is that it may not matter so much when he's younger (elementary-age), but you need to consider the long term.

YouAreTheFocus
05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I didn't skip, but I started Kindergarten when I was 4 (didn't turn 5 til Feb). I agree it depends on the kid, if he is outgoing and emotionally ready to hang with 6 or 7 yr olds. Now 4 year olds look like such babies to me, I can't believe I was in school at their age! I had a friend who also started early and then ended up repeating a grade later b/c she was so small and shy, she basically got run down by the other kids. Also keep in mind that the age difference can come into play later on...he has to wait an extra year to get a license, etc. When I was in college I had to get an ID saying I was 18 so I could get into 18+ concerts, and didn't turn 21 til spring semester of my senior year. Not that these things are a big deal, just more to think about.

Cam&Clay
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I was told that DS1 should skip kindergarten and go straight to first grade. He missed the cutoff by 2 days, so he wouldn't have been much younger than the kids in first grade. In the end, I decided not to do it. I think that extra year was great for him, maturity-wise, and we had plenty of stuff to "enrich" here at home.

He's a fifth grader now, and he loves being just about the oldest kid in his class now. I know I made the right choice for my child, but every child is different. In fact, if he'd been a girl, I probably would have let him go ahead and skip.

egoldber
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
If your school system has an easy process for this, then it may be that it is popular where you are. In which case I would look further into it.

The K-2 years can be excruciatingly boring for a child who has already mastered the curriculum. OTOH, a child who does not yet write well (and I mean the fine motor physical skill, not the thought process) may have a hard time in first.

YouAreTheFocus
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
JoyNChrist - I didn't see your post before mine went up, and I have one thing to say to it:

:yeahthat: !!!

mom2binsd
05-07-2010, 07:50 PM
The thing I would be worried about is that in K they still do a lot of "play" based learning and social type of activities, they tend not to be sitting in desks all day like in 1st, even though he would find the academics easy, the social aspect would be beneficial.

I'd also look too at whether a lot of kids in 1st grade "red shirted" and are even older. In my DD's school there are quite a few kids who did not go to K (esp boys when they could have (March or later birthdates for a Sept. 1st cutoff) and if he'd be REALLY young for 1st grade.

I found that the requirements to spend more time doing "work" at a desk etc. is significantly different between K and 1st.

Can you see if it's possible for him to participate in some accelerated academics while in K?

My suggestion would be to go in and ask to meet with the principal and see how the makeup of the school is and maybe even talk to the K and 1st teachers, they're the one's who can give you their experiences so you can make an decision.

I think there are a lot of positive experiences to be had in K.

sunnyside
05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I started school a year early and though I did really well, I think I would have been better if I'd waited. The only problem is that I didn't find school challenging at all. I was ahead of everyone in reading in math and constantly bored. The whole thing was boring to me. I think it was ok in the early years but then in high school being so young was difficult for me.

Karenn
05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I skipped first and then held myself back in 8th grade to be with my friends. The social maturity gap became very clear once I hit middle school. I could handle the academics fine, but fit in much better with younger kids.

I'd be particularly concerned about skipping a kid ahead if you live in an area where redshirting is popular (research suggests this is high income areas). In that case, your kid might be up to 2 years younger than the rest of his peers.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the food for thought everyone. I have never heard of "redshirting" and will inquire about it with the school he is headed too. He is coming from 2 years of pre-K at Montessori, so he used used to being in a classroom that is not at all play-based. He "appears" to be very socially mature- but throw him in with a bunch of boys 2 years older and that would scare me to death. I want so much to maintain his absolute love of learning and school!

cono0507
05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
My parents decided not to skip me in K and 5th grade when the school wanted me to. I'm so glad I didn't skip any grades because I was already on the younger side of my class and socially there is no way I could have handled it. Being with my own age peers was hard enough socially for me.

KpbS
05-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I'd also look too at whether a lot of kids in 1st grade "red shirted" and are even older. In my DD's school there are quite a few kids who did not go to K (esp boys when they could have (March or later birthdates for a Sept. 1st cutoff) and if he'd be REALLY young for 1st grade.

Actually this is a very important point. I was really surprised to learn last weekend at a birthday party for one of DS1's classmates that half of his class won't be starting K next year. Most all are boys with April-July birthdays. Up to this point I hadn't heard of but a couple of kids that had been red-shirted. His preschool has NOT particularly academically focused (especially in comparison to the rest of the country) so I really doubt that these parents are the super-overachieving types that are looking for that "extra" advantage for their kids. All of those are at the $$$$ private school next door.

I know that I really wouldn't want DS1 to be in a first grade class with a lot of other boys two years older than he is. To me that sounds terribly challenging (possibly disasterous) socially for 1st and beyond.

lmintzer
05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I know someone who did it. Her daughter is in 2nd now and is doing just fine. She turned 7 in Jan. so she's, on average, a full year younger than the others.

My younger son is in K, and academically, he could be doing work up a grade level (maybe even up two grade levels in math). I chose not even address acceleration, as it's called, as an option for him, because I didn't feel he could handle it socially. He's socially right on target for K and not behind, but I think 1st would have been too difficult for him socially and emotionally.

I think there are rare cases in which acceleration is needed and can be sucessful, but on the whole, I don't love it.

Does your son's future school have a gifted and talented program? That may be another way to go. In our school, there's a teacher who runs a program that's primarily for grades 3 and up. However, you can have a kid evaluated for it at any age--even K. That teacher then does some (limited in K) pull-out and supports the classroom teacher by helping to provide more challenging material.

Our K is only half-day, so I wasn't worried about my son getting bored. They literally change activities every 20 minutes. Full day is another story. Maybe you can get some more specific info. on the curriculum and talk to the principal and the gifted and talented teacher, if there is one, about options for kids who are really ahead.

wendmatt
05-07-2010, 08:33 PM
It's really tough. DH's nephew is 17 and because he was bright he skipped a grade and is going to be graduating imho too early. I know it's tough being bored at school (dd is bored as she's already reading at a high level, but I'm glad she's with age appropriate kids, I wouldn't want her going off to college at 17). But you'll know what to do with your ds. Good luck deciding.

spanannie
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I would NEVER do it. Z is testing at a 4.7 grade level and he is in the 1st grade and doing fabulously! He's not bored a bit and they are challenging him plenty (He is at a very academic private school, though. If that makes any difference, I don't know.).

I started K at age 4 and I think it was a horrible idea for me socially throughout my school career. I always connected more with those in the grade below me.

There's no need to rush things. In fact, G is repeating Kindergarten. Wasn't in the plans, but I'm sure it will be the best thing that I ever did for her.

ETA: In Z's 1st grade class, there are 8 year olds . . . seriously. Z will be 8 in a month. I'd say almost half of the kids in his 1st grade class were red-shirted.

DebbieJ
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
DS has been telling us for the past several weeks that he's bored in his K class. He entered K already reading on his own and was doing well in math too, so we were just waiting for him to start complaining. LOL

I mentioned it to his teacher last week after school and she is giving him more advanced work. They had chicks in their class this week and she put DS in charge. He came home and told me he wasn't bored any more because he was learning new things in science.

I talked to his teacher today (very casually) about skipping first grade and she made sure to mention maturity. She is going to recommend his placement with a particular first grade teacher next year and promised me he'll be okay. Our district gifted program doesn't start until 3rd grade.

DH started Kindergarten as a 4 year old and to this day he wishes he had been held back.

MSWR0319
05-07-2010, 09:03 PM
My mom teaches K and I asked her how she felt about this. She said the biggest thing to remember is that academics are not the only thing to consider. You must also consider the social aspects as mentioned before. She said if they know a child is bored academically they can challenge them by having them leave the room for a little while to go to a "gifted" class or give them more challenging things in class if necessary. it's similar to holding back a summer birthday. Academically they are ready for K, but socially they would be the youngest in the class and not mature enough to handle the situation. I would also suggest having a meeting with both the K and 1st grade teacher to see what they say.

egoldber
05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree that K is usually very fun. But in many schools, K is "pre-reading", 1st is "really learning to read" and 2nd is "mastering reading". So when a kid enters 1st (which is usually a lot less fun than K and a lot more worksheet based seat work) having already mastered reading, a school may be able to accommodate them. But sometimes not. In fact, often not. The school's focus is having ALL their kids having mastered reading by the end of 2nd. So a kid who has already mastered it may easily be left to coast for 2 years. I would ask the school a lot of VERY specific questions about the work given to first and second graders who are already fluent readers and/or fluent with math manipulations up through double digit addition with borrowing and carrying (typical end of second grade math curriculum).

Some kids do OK with that (being left to coast) and enjoy the other aspects of schools. Some kids do not. You need to know your kid and how they deal with being left to their own devices to some degree.

Katigre
05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Is it at all possible for him to continue in Montessori for a few more grades?

If you want him to continue to love learning and be a self-motivated learner then I'm not sure putting him into a regular K classroom where he knows the stuff already is the way to go.

The issues with skipping a grade ahead have been mentioned already - these really come into play during puberty and the teen years where a year makes a HUGE difference.

ewpmsw
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
DH was moved from kindegarten to 1st grade and feels it was too much for him. He said he always felt behind the other kids when it came to physical and emotional maturity. Add that to standing out for being a smart, nerdy type, and he's pretty convinced that being younger than everyone else was a disadvantage.

There were two long threads about this topic within the past few months if you feel like hunting for them...

Momof3Labs
05-07-2010, 09:39 PM
CNCM and DebbieJ - PM'd both of you.

mom2binsd
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Here in IL, and at our school it is typical for 1st graders to leave 1st grade having good to excellent reading skills. I know in DD's K class having volunteered for reading groups that there were about 5 out of 24 kids who were reading well above grade level. The same this year... they teachers at DD's school are able to accommodate the advanced readers very well. I know one of the parents of the boys who was reading about 3rd grade level at the beginning of K, and she said he loved school and she could not have imagined him going to 1st grade (and physically he would have fit in)...she was happy he had the K experience.

Having worked in elementary schools I can say that I truly believe there are activities that happen in K that are unique to that year.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I would NEVER do it. Z is testing at a 4.7 grade level and he is in the 1st grade and doing fabulously! He's not bored a bit and they are challenging him plenty (He is at a very academic private school, though. If that makes any difference, I don't know.).

I started K at age 4 and I think it was a horrible idea for me socially throughout my school career. I always connected more with those in the grade below me.

There's no need to rush things. In fact, G is repeating Kindergarten. Wasn't in the plans, but I'm sure it will be the best thing that I ever did for her.

ETA: In Z's 1st grade class, there are 8 year olds . . . seriously. Z will be 8 in a month. I'd say almost half of the kids in his 1st grade class were red-shirted.

Annie, I would think a kid testing at almost 5th grade level would be bored to tears in a first grade class, are they giving him a ton of extra work?

Sillygirl
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
As a Montessori parent, one other aspect would probably be familiar to you. Your child can be mentally ready to do the reading and writing that the higher grades require, but may not yet have the fine motor muscles developed that well. So it become a physical problem in that he can't manipulate his pencil as well as the other kids, and he produces "sloppy" handwriting when really his hand just isn't mature enough. If it's a good fit in other ways, maybe you can get a lot of fine motor works (pin punching, clay modelling) this summer to boost up the muscle strength. I'm sure his current teachers will be a good resource in this.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-07-2010, 10:33 PM
As a Montessori parent, one other aspect would probably be familiar to you. Your child can be mentally ready to do the reading and writing that the higher grades require, but may not yet have the fine motor muscles developed that well. So it become a physical problem in that he can't manipulate his pencil as well as the other kids, and he produces "sloppy" handwriting when really his hand just isn't mature enough. If it's a good fit in other ways, maybe you can get a lot of fine motor works (pin punching, clay modelling) this summer to boost up the muscle strength. I'm sure his current teachers will be a good resource in this.

Ah Katie, good points! I sure wish we had a Montessori that went further, this is a fantastic school. I will ask his teacher about this,, we already do a lot of pin pricking :)

smilequeen
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't think I would want my child to skip a grade for reasons others have posted. I think it is ideal to stay at the grade level that matches with the age.

Can you keep him in Montessori another year (it doesn't go through K?)? Does your public school offer gifted programs? DS1 is staying in his Montessori school until 6th grade, but when I checked with our public school they do make accomodations for advanced kids even in K, and their gifted program starts earlier than most (1st grade rather than 3rd). Montessori is such a great fit for gifted kids though IMO :) I so wish I had had a school like my boys have.

spanannie
05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Annie, I would think a kid testing at almost 5th grade level would be bored to tears in a first grade class, are they giving him a ton of extra work?

He's not bored at all. He is so happy and is thriving. No extra work that I know of, however they have small class size and only 54 students in the class of 2021, so they may tailor things a bit. PM'ed you.

sste
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Are sports something you envision for your DS or family? We have friends that opted not to accelerate based on the family's strong interest in soccer.

I am on the "would explore every last option" before grade-skipping side of the fence. I have written about this before and I don't know exactly what to make of it because I only knew two people - - but both my high school best friend and college room-mate skipped a grade. They were already on the youngish side for their grades and small. They both had devastating social/sexual -- or really lack of social/sexual - - experiences in high school and college. They were late bloomers by nature, then accelerated a year and by the time the whole boy-girl thing finally happened for them they had developed a complete complex about it. I will say I don't know that either attributes this to the grade-skipping, they have always blamed it on lack of innate attractiveness to the opposite sex. But, I could see pretty clearly how they had lagged behind in high school on that front and that hurt their confidence and it was all sort of a downward spiral for a good 4-8 years because after all dating success basically *is* confidence and maturity.

FWIW, I haven't seen a long-term career pay-off for either one of them.

Aishe
05-07-2010, 11:39 PM
I guess I'm the anomaly here because I skipped kindergarten (spent a week in it before the school placed me in first grade) and I loved it. The school then wanted to have me skip third grade, but my mother said no because she thought it would be hard on my brother to have his younger sister in the same grade as he. But I always wished she had let me do it because I was so anxious to be done with school once I was in high school. I never felt I suffered socially (other than typical adolescent angst). In fact most of my friends were one grade ahead of me, making them two years older than I. I think this is a very individual thing. But I thought I'd speak up to say that it could be a good thing. You know your son best, of course, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the idea out of hand.

salsah
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
that happened to me so my parents had me skip kindergarten and go straight to 1st grade out of preschool. they regretted it and had me do 1st grade twice because they wanted me to be with my own age. for some reason, i don't believe them. i think that i failed first grade the first time and had to do it again. they just tell me that it was by choice to boost my confidence.
i have thought about it and i think that the age issue is important, or rather the maturity of the child. i think that it is fine to skip a grade if a child is academically ready but the child should be socially/emotionally ready too.

goldenpig
05-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I skipped kindergarten and also finished college in 3 years so I started college at 16 and med school at 19. PP's mentioned delay in fine motor skills. I do remember the first day of 1st grade, they were writing the alphabet and my handwriting was pretty shaky and I was kind of stressed out about it. But overall I don't think it affected me too much. Skipping may be more difficult for boys though especially if sports are important and the other boys are redshirted and 2 years older. But if your son is not skipped and no other accommodations are made to differentiate his work it could cause a lot of learning problems if he is bored. I agree, Montessori is great since you can progress at your own pace. What is the gifted program like at the school? Often gifted programs don't start until 3rd grade or later, but depending on the school they may have options for differentiated learning.

MontrealMum
05-08-2010, 01:36 AM
You've got a lot of good advice already, I just wanted to add, the transition from a Montessori program to a traditional one is not easy. I did it myself.

It's not uncommon for kids coming out of Montessori to be "ahead" of kids from other types of preschools just due to how skills are introduced, especially in the early years, and they may well be bored, but the whole learning style, classroom setup, school day - they're all totally different. You might want to consider letting him do kindy on schedule - and potentially not be terribly challenged academically, but giving him time to adjust - and look at skipping again once he's ready for 1st grade. I'm not talking about social issues at all, but the concept of sitting at your desk for long periods - your assigned desk - and doing the work that the teacher tells you to, not the work that you picked out for yourself. Might not seem like a big deal, but for a kid that's coming from a Montessori school - that's huge.

You said that your Montessori doesn't have a kindy? Normally the Children's House is three years - the final year being the age that corresponds to kindy. Is there another one where you might enroll him to finish the initial 3 years? Usually the learning arc is spread over 3 years so I'd imagine there are some materials he's not gotten to, or finished, yet. Montessori educators like things to be done in threes :) The more traditional time to leave is usually after kindy...or after g.3 or g.6.

ETA: in answer to the original question, no, I did not skip any grades. My parents were approached about it more than once, and declined. I ended up in a GATE program from grade 7 onwards which was a very good fit for me.

KrisM
05-08-2010, 06:49 AM
I don't have any real-world advice about skipping a grade.

I wanted to through in to look at what programs may be starting with this year's kindergarteners. DS1 is in kindergarten this year and starting with his class, they have 30 minutes of Chinese daily and he take Suzuki violin lessons twice a week. Current 1st graders don't have either of those options.

DS1 learned to read this year, but is way ahead on math skills. He found a good chunk of kindy boring, but loved, loved, loved Chinese and violin.

o_mom
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I would look at what the district offers in terms of differentiation if he doesn't skip this year. Some have very good programs that can accomodate kids working more than one grade level ahead. Others not so much. If it is the only way to get him working at his level, I would consider it. Ideal would be to have him in a classroom with children who are age and intellectual peers, but many times that is not possible due to budget or small numbers.

At this point, I would at least do the testing as the additional information would be useful even if you decide not to skip.

mytwosons
05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
DS1 was bored in K but is loving 1st. He is ahead of grade level, but his teacher is wonderful and is keeping him challenged (e.g. Space is their science unit. She can go more in depth than the names of the planets and then the kids can write different reports based on their learning level.) Our district offers multi-age classrooms, which might be helpful for your son. Kids can also be pulled for different subjects (although I'm not if favor of this for my son).

clc053103
05-08-2010, 09:20 AM
my random thoughts (I have a preK going into K so not BTDT, but taking from reading and from the experience of friends):

Skipping K just isn't done here. If the child is very, very close to the cut off and very mature, the parents will put them in private K then test them into pubic 1st early. If it is done regularly in your area, then of course I would consider it because I would be concerned that my socially mature and academically advanced child wouldn't be with their peers. I know many people in our parent's youth skipped K or K wasn't even offered.

Montessori can be a very different environment than public school and many have a very tough time transitioning to a traditional classroom. A friend's child that went from Montessori K to traditional 1st STILL hasn't adjusted and the year is almost over- not just academically, but socially. I think having the K year to transition could be very helpful.

Lastly, check out Nurture Shock. Interesting chapter about gifted testing being administered at too young an age and not being accurate.

Good luck- it's always tough to make these decisions! I struggled with potentially holding back from K simply because he's a summer boy (yes, that's the reason the preschool gave me- after telling me they felt my son was academically advanced!!!) though I can't be 100% sure I have made the right decision, I do agree that chronological age alone shouldn't be what determines a child's grade level.

momof2girls
05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say with all that is that it may not matter so much when he's younger (elementary-age), but you need to consider the long term.

I didn't skip but started early (went to private school so the cut-off was not enforced). I also didn't drive until the last months of senior yr. Yes, the long trem needs to be considered. I always felt socially behind my peers in class. No one made a big deal over the age, but I was often left feeling like I was "not getting" some of the things the other kids were either going through, talking about, or interested in. My best friend was a yr older than me and we were fine together but other kids who were on the older end seemed like a world more mature. The talked about boys when I was still grossed out by them, developed quicker, were physically bigger, and just seemed more "with it" maturity wise.

However, I loved the feeling of finishing everything eariler than most. I felt like I had less pressure to get through college in 4 yrs (even though I did). I was also the first to get married and have kids but only by 1-2 yrs. It all evened out toward the middle of college. DD1s friends' moms are all a few yrs older than me but it's not a big deal at all.

Having said that, I think it depends on child if they can handle it socially. Being only in pre-k seems young to be able to determine that aspect.

wendmatt
05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
On a different note, how is your DH doing? How are you all managing?

groundhog74
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM
In general I am against grade skipping. My BIL was always the youngest in his class and absolutely hated it...he was always small on sports teams and got his drivers license last, etc. So they "held back" my nephew so he would be the oldest in the class instead of the youngest - his birthday was a few days before the cutoff.

My DS entered K being able to read very well and probably doing math on a 3rd grade level. He has never once been bored. It has all been about social stuff in K for him.

daisymommy
05-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I skipped Kindergarten, and half of first grade--went into a first grade classroom and was given the end of the year work (they said they couldn't skip me anymore than 1 grade at a time...so it was a bit of a mess). My brother skipped somewhere later on down the line. I was pretty mature for my age, so I felt okay with it.

My mom said she regretted it though because she felt I missed out on the fun part of childhood in school and was held to higher standards at such a young age. I don't know, it didn't bother me.

My brother on the other hand still tests at genius level, bit socially and emotionally is a mess, so it wasn't such a good idea for him Unfortunately there weren't gifted classes or anything back then. it was a tough call.

Globetrotter
05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Not in the early grades, but I did skip two years later on and hated it.

I would think ahead about how they will do in high school. It's very hard to be the youngest kid and not have your license until college, and I was already gawky so PE was a nightmare for me. It was also tough to integrate with my grade level peers, at least outside of school.

Now skipping one grade may be okay if he is near the age cutoff for first grade, and if it's a done thing in your area, maybe there are others like him. Personally, I would aim for the most challenging education within the appropriate grade. Can they give him different materials?

I understand the boredom issue, and it's a real one, but eventually school does get VERY VERY hard, and at that point he will be challenged regardless as long as there is a gifted/honors track. Also consider that he'll be competing with older kids for college admission. I don't know how it is in your area, but here college adm. is really competitive and even kids with wonderful GPAs aren't getting in to state schools. This all may not be an issue if your area isn't very competitive, in which case it may make sense. I know it sounds crazy to think that far ahead, but I've seen my friend's kids struggle, and it's only going to get worse.

newg
05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Like many others have said, I would talk with the school. See if they have any programs in place for students that are considered "gifted". Also ask if any of the K teachers have any background with working with gifted students (One of my fellow 1st grade teachers has her masters in gifted education).
K is as much about mastering specific social/emotional skills as it is about learning numbers/basic math/reading......It's about learning the routines of the school day, learning how to be independent and responsible, interacting with peers and other adults. I knew a few children who struggled coming from a Montessori K or PreK program, not because they weren't able to handle the accademics, but because it's a different type of learning/social environment.
My last year in teaching was as the Kinderfirst teacher (now Transitional first). It was for those students who passed K, but socially weren't ready for the demands of 1st grade, or those students who barely passed K but were ready socially for a full day and needed some extra accademic help. I had a very gifted student in my classroom (reading at third grade, math at second grade), but emotionally/socially he couldn't handle a full day. He would have been a complete mess in a real 1st grade classroom, but after the year in my room I put him in the first grade classroom with the teacher who has her masters in gifted eductaion because I knew she could challenge him, and he florished.

I would really talk with the school and see what they reccomend. I'm sure they've seen both sides of skipping/not skipping a grade and can provide some insight as well.

erosenst
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
We live in one of the three best school districts in the state. Not shockingly, a lot of people who value education move here - so the population skews to kids who do well in school. We're fortunate to have a full time gifted and talented program, housed in each elem school, that starts in second grade. In most of the elem schools, including ours, about 20% of the kids qualify for the GT program. Having said that, the school system is VERY against skipping grades, primarily because of the social implications.

I will say that we haven't been impressed with the K program, and are looking forward to first grade when the teachers are supposed to be much better, and provide more challenges for the kids who are ready for it. DD reads well above grade level, and is also doing math well above grade level. Her teacher provides NO enrichment opportunities. BUT - DD hasn't complained about being bored, and has learned important skills like being in a more traditional/academic setting (ie staying in her seat, working on a specified task at a specified time, etc), interacting with children with differing abilities (including a now-friend with autism, and a child with significant physical and developmental delays) etc.

I was never in favor of kids skipping grades. This year has confirmed it for me.

Also - FWIW - I only skimmed the PP's, but one other thing I would consider. Not only is red-shirting an issue (ie kids who may be 2 years older) but the rate of maturing is as well. If kids in your families go through puberty late, or if DS is likely to be small, I'd really think twice about it. (DD is two for two - 25th percentile height, and both DH's and my family have gone through puberty late.)

Good luck with your decision.

swrc00
05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Where I teach students can take advanced classes. There are Kinders that are in first and second grade reading groups. The same is done for math. I would suggest asking for accomodations such as this and keeping him with his peers for other things.

Percycat
05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm joining the conversation late....

How did your school district come to the recommendation of grade skipping for Kindergarten? It sounds like the school has a fairly comprehensive evaluation.

You might want ot learn more about "The Iowa Acceleration Scale." It is is an objective tool that takes into consideration a variety of factors, including: achievement scores, motor skills, social and emotional developmnet, attidude towards learning, and sibling effects order. The output of the evaluation is a determination that the child is is an exceptional, good, or marginal candidate for whole grade acceleration or that whole grade acceleration is not recommended. If whole grade acceleration is not recommended, than subject matter acceleration may be appropriate in some cases.

My DS just completed this evaluation as part of a school placement and I was impressed with the comprehensive nature of the process. The evaluation considers the whole child. If you do a google search for "iowa acceleration scale", you will find several good sites with information.

I would ask the school to conduct the evaluation, if they are not already doing so. It will give you good information to help you make your decision.

good luck.
angela

jenmcadams
05-10-2010, 07:40 PM
The K-2 years can be excruciatingly boring for a child who has already mastered the curriculum. OTOH, a child who does not yet write well (and I mean the fine motor physical skill, not the thought process) may have a hard time in first.

My DS is an ok reader (beginning of 1st grade level on a DRA basis, so not super far ahead), can spell phonetically, do basic math, etc., but, his fine motor skills are definitely not 1st grade level. He can write all of the letters, but it takes significant effort. He doesn't love to draw and while he's fine with scissors, etc., he needs the fine motor skill development that K will give him. Couple that with the fact that he's a late June birthday and will already be one of the younger boys (a lot of redshirting occurs at our school), I'm comfortable with the challenge that Full Day K will be for him.

Having said all of that, my DS is not that far ahead, so it's not as big a deal for me. Given the number of kids that don't start K until they're 6ish at our school, there are always a ton of kids reading a couple of grade levels ahead by Spring of K and I've worked in the classroom enough to know the teacher does some decent differentiation for the kids that are ahead.

JenaW
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Haven't had a chance to read all the replies, but I wanted to add my 2 cents quickly. We decided not to have our DD skip K for several reasons (not to mention it would have meant putting her in class with her older brother). She is a late september birthday and a bit immature, even though academically she is probably AHEAD of her year older brother. There are times this year when I have regretted it, as she does get bored easily. However, at our small private school they have done a great of keeping her challenged by providing extra worksheets for her to do when she completes her in class assignments ahead of the others, special privileges (reading to the preschoolers, helping the teacher), and enrichment (she does reading class with 1st grade, and gets pulled out 2 afternoons for 30 min for other enrichment). Maybe you could check if your school has similar opportunities for your son? If he is only attending a 3-morning/week preschool I would NOT skip him to 1st. There is a HUGE difference (at least in our school) between the amt of "play" in K and 1st, and even for my kids, who did 3 full day/week preschool, the transition to 5 full days was hard. Also, I think it is socially more acceptable to be a younger girl (although I did see a post from a gal here who had skipped two grades and did not like it), I think guys would have a harder time being younger, smaller, etc than their peers.

JMHO. I know it is a hard decision. We agonized over it. On the other hand, we also made the decision to hold our former 25 week preemie back a year, thus placing her in class with her younger sister. So far, that has worked fine. They think they are twins anyway! Good luck with your decision. Ultimately, it comes down to what will by best for YOUR child.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I just wanted to thank all who took the time to respond, you all gave me tons of things I had not considered and DH was very interested n all your reasoning and response. We have decided not to skip and I am 100% comfortable with that. Heck, a couple weeks agao I had no idea this was even an option for him. I think without reading your responses I would have seriously underestimated the impact socially and I really thank you all for pointing that out. And to the poster who asked about DH, thank you! He is still a work in progress, but we are very, very lucky and his incident has had a completely positive impact on all our lives!