PDA

View Full Version : wording for book swap at a party

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 08:48 AM
We did a book swap last year at DD's party. It was a hit, except that some brought $$$ hardcovers and some brought $5 paperbacks. Ideally, guests would all bring cheap paperbacks to swap, and I think it would be nice if they were of the same genre - non-fiction, about animals, endangered or not, and wrapped.

How would you word it for the invitation?

ETA: ok, maybe unwrapped would be better - so they can see all the book covers and get excited about the animals? It would be less trash to do unwrapped. Thoughts?

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 09:15 AM
How does this sound? "Please bring a new, wrapped paperback (maybe even about real animals!) book for the book exchange."

KrisM
05-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I think that sounds fine. Personally, I wouldn't do a theme. I think asking people to follow a theme is too much of "go buy THIS and bring it to the party" and would be less fun to shop for.

bubbaray
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Please bring a new, unwrapped book (under $X) to the party to swap.

Less trash. Keeps everyone in the same budget.

JMHO.

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I understand that and agree, but here's why I'm tempted to... Last year, someone brought a super-shallow ridiculous book about going shopping in a convertible. That's the one DD ended up with. DH changed the ending to say that they donated all the stuff they bought to people who didn't have much. Wouldn't a book about birds or snakes or elephants be much more interesting to that age group?

mecawa
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Please bring a new, unwrapped book (under $X) to the party to swap.

Less trash. Keeps everyone in the same budget.

JMHO.

:yeahthat:

Wondermom
05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking of a book party for DS1 who'll turn 3 this summer. Originally, I wanted to do a "swap," but couldn't think of how to make it work.

WatchingThemGrow, how'd you run your swap? Was it 1 for 1?

Ideas I've had:

Kids draw numbers, and go in order of # drawn to pick one of the books brought. Worried this might be too hard for 3 yo to wait their turn, or they might get fussy if someone picks the one they wanted.

White elephant-style exchange, where the next in line can either get the next book in line or swap with prior kid? Again, seems like too much to expect of 3 yos.

All the books go on a table, and we let the parents pick for their kids

None of these seem ideal, so I'm now thinking of just a book-themed party where we put up tents in the back yard, have a bunch of books available and read to them. I might make the "Not A Box" book the first book read, and have a bunch of empty cardboard boxes set out for the kids to sit inside, then have art supplies nearby so they can decorate their boxes if they want.

Thoughts?

tmahanes
05-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking of a book party for DS1 who'll turn 3 this summer. Originally, I wanted to do a "swap," but couldn't think of how to make it work.

Thoughts?

What if you pair names before hand and then when you want them to swap put everyone with their partner and and then they swap with their partner.

Since they are only 3 I think the other ways (draw numbers and white elephant) might hurt feelings and they might not understand why someone else was taking the book away from them.

ETA: This way you could have a limit on spending and the books could still be wrapped and each kid would get to unwrap a book

WatchingThemGrow
05-20-2010, 11:14 PM
For our 3yo book swap, what we put music (ipod) on the little speaker thing. All the kids sat in the circle with the book they brought on their lap - we passed them to the right. When the music stopped, they kept the book they were holding. VEEEERRRRRY simple. Worked well, and it was hilarious how much the parents had to help to get the books passed to the right.

We're doing the same thing this time - with 25 kids. Yikes.

And..dorky me wrote "wrapped" on the evite, then went back and said, "NO!!! I meant UNWRAPPED!" Lol. This was after I said 10-12, then changed it to 11-1. yikes, scatterbrain...

Wondermom
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
All the kids sat in the circle with the book they brought on their lap - we passed them to the right. When the music stopped, they kept the book they were holding. VEEEERRRRRY simple.

Very cute! I like that idea. :thumbsup:

PP-thanks also for the the idea of pairing, but I have the kind of friends who never know until the last minute whether they'll be able to make it to a party. (I'm totally cool with that. Isn't last-minute how we all live our lives these days?)

I'm SO psyched about the book party now! :yay: Was debating between this and a rock-n-roll theme. I'm SOOOO doing the book party thing. At 3, he'll love whatever I do for him. I have the feeling he'll be asking for certain themes in future years. He's already asked me for a cake with a race car on it, actually.

vonfirmath
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I understand that and agree, but here's why I'm tempted to... Last year, someone brought a super-shallow ridiculous book about going shopping in a convertible. That's the one DD ended up with. DH changed the ending to say that they donated all the stuff they bought to people who didn't have much. Wouldn't a book about birds or snakes or elephants be much more interesting to that age group?

*shrugs*? This is life? I always seem to end up with stuff at Christmas swaps that I don't care for (and often think are junk, even if brand new). The fun is in the swap game, not the gift you get at the end.

PS Wondermom I LOVE your idea. Mind if I use it?

Wondermom
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
vonfirmath--be my guest. Isn't trading ideas the beauty of this board? I just ordered "not a box" from Amazon. We've not read that one yet, but it seems like an easy read/good party gimmick if I get a bunch of cardboard boxes in the yard.

vonfirmath
05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
vonfirmath--be my guest. Isn't trading ideas the beauty of this board? I just ordered "not a box" from Amazon. We've not read that one yet, but it seems like an easy read/good party gimmick if I get a bunch of cardboard boxes in the yard.

He has another one -- "Not a stick" -- Perhaps you could use that if the box doesn't work out (and it would be easier for the parents to take home). Buy Dowel sticks for the kids. have plenty of adults supervision and then feathers and other craft stuff to decorate with