PDA

View Full Version : Potential law banning drop side cribs

DietCokeLover
05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/2010-05-07/drop-side-cribs-tied-to-deaths-will-be-banned-u-s-safety-regulator-says.html

randomkid
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
This just stinks. I understand the hazards of drop side cribs, but if you look at the recalls, they are primarily cheaper brands that are sold in stores like Wal-Mart. I have a beautiful $400 Simmons drop side that is perfectly fine. I've been wanting to sell it, but can't because of all these cheaply made cribs and their recalls.

We do have the conversion kit to make it into a toddler daybed, so I guess we could sell it as that. But, who will want to pay me for a converted crib when they can go buy an actual toddler bed?

sariana
05-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Is there a regulation that prevents you from selling your Simmons? Otherwise I would go ahead and try. Some people will understand the difference and will appreciate the opportunity to get a nice crib. (We have a Simmons, too, but not a drop side.) Especially if they are banned (for manufacture) there will be people looking to find them.

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2010, 02:20 PM
We own 3 drop side cribs - one from a friend and two Young America cribs, that are built like a rock. Bummer, because we bought better ones hoping to pass it on or resell it for some $$. Of course, the loss of life is far more important than a few hundred dollars.

jjordan
05-08-2010, 02:34 PM
I think that as drop-side cribs disappear from the market, there may actually be an upswing in demand for secondhand drop-side cribs because people that want them won't be able to buy them new.

Momof3Labs
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM
This just stinks. I understand the hazards of drop side cribs, but if you look at the recalls, they are primarily cheaper brands that are sold in stores like Wal-Mart.

Not any more. A couple of days ago, Sorelle recalled 170,000 cribs, including ours, which cost almost $500 8 years ago.

That said, if your crib hasn't been recalled, why not sell it?

crl
05-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Not any more. A couple of days ago, Sorelle recalled 170,000 cribs, including ours, which cost almost $500 8 years ago.

That said, if your crib hasn't been recalled, why not sell it?

I chose to give our Pali away as a toddler bed because I was concerned that the fundamental problem is the design, not the quality, of dropside cribs. The most recent recall reinforces that concern for me. I respect other people making a different choice, but that's why I didn't sell ours even though it had not been recalled (also why we are not reusing it for dd.)

Catherine

HannaAddict
05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
It isn't just cheap cribs that can fail. Even solidly built, nice cribs can have the problem at some point. The design that allows the crib to drop requires hardware that can and does wear out at some point, or can be incorrectly installed. If it fails, unfortunately, it can lead to catastrophic consequences - death of a child - so I would be thrilled if they outlawed these cribs since it seems like something that just keeps happening. We had a very solidly built, expensive, correctly assembled Ragazzi crib (the real Ragazzi, made in Candad) and the crib hardware failed with our second child. There was not a recall, it is just the weak point and something that can happen. The plastic hardware wore out for the drop side. We were able to get replacement hardware for it from the retailer with no problems, but our child slept in a pack n play until it was fixed. With all the recalls and actual deaths happening, we decided it wasn't worth it to save a few bucks and took the crib apart and took it to the dump so no one would try and use it again. Bought a new, non-drop side crib for our newest baby and have been happy with it. Went with the Straight Up Crib by Land of Nod, made in USA, super easy to assemble and no weak point to potentially fail. (Loved the Romina cribs too and you can order them with no drop side.)

sste
05-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I always assumed it was part of my general craziness (uh, no blanket in crib until over age 2 anyone!) but DH and I never felt comfortable with the drop side cribs. We tried out a ton of very expensive drop-side cribs in the store and I always had this nagging feeling about them, never felt quite right. Like I would always worry.

Even if it is well-made, I imagine that the interior mechanisms can wear or erode over time. My hunch is that with the well-made drop side cribs the concern is not baby #1 or #2 in the crib but all the subsequent uses and resale, etc.

I don't understand why the companies don't just sell an optional hardware piece that perm. affixes one's drop-side crib for those drop-side cribs that aren't recall material but perhaps could be even safer with that feature . . .

ETA: We bought the Stokke crib and while I am not a fan of buying round crib sheets, I would trust that sucker through dozens of babies, it is rock solid. And its pretty low-profile so no real problems bending down, etc.

arivecchi
05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I always assumed it was part of my general craziness (uh, no blanket in crib until over age 2 anyone!) but DH and I never felt comfortable with the drop side cribs. We tried out a ton of very expensive drop-side cribs in the store and I always had this nagging feeling about them, never felt quite right. Like I would always worry.

Even if it is well-made, I imagine that the interior mechanisms can wear or erode over time. My hunch is that with the well-made drop side cribs the concern is not baby #1 or #2 in the crib but all the subsequent uses and resale, etc.
:yeahthat:

The CPSC has issued a warning:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10225.html

HIU8
05-08-2010, 07:33 PM
My almost 3 yr old still sleeps in her crib. We removed the dropside and made it a toddler bed by adding a toddler bedrail. Howe concerned should I be at this point? FWIW mine is a sorelle that we bought in 2004 for $200 new at Great Beginnings that is on the recall list.