PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me to stop worrying!

dukie41181
05-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I am 14 weeks pregnant with #2 and am finding myself paranoid about the baby. Since finding out I was pregnant (at 8 weeks), I haven't been eating very well and even before that, we were really watching our calories and I was getting approximately 1300/day (which of course isn't sufficient for a growing fetus). So I worry that I somehow "hurt" the baby then and continue to do so by not eating the most healthy. Its just that NOTHING is sounding good and frankly, ****ty food has been the only think that seems decent becasue its quick and I don't have to do the cooking. Also, I'm not showing at all and haven't really gained much weight. Maybe 2 lbs. in the last 6 weeks (and thats likely because of all the terrible food). And oh yeah, I'm not awesome about taking my prenatal vitamins. I am supposed to take them in the morning and at night but when I was taking them at night I was feeling sick so I stopped to avoid the nighttime sickness. And of course I didn't take them for the first 8 weeks of my pregnancy as I didn't know I was pregnant. I never had the prenatal vitamin problem with my first but think that now being so busy with a 15 month old, I just miss it sometimes in the morning too. Argh! I feel so inadequate even admitting some of this stuff! :bag So I guess I'm really searching for some reassurance that everything is ok and that I haven't somehow hurt my baby.

Green_Tea
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Stop worrying :). Really. Many, many people take longer than 8 weeks to realize they are pregnant. They might have irregular cycles or just might not be keeping track. They drink, enjoy a crappy diet, don't take vitamins. And they have healthy babies. My mother in law drank rum swizzles every day of her pregnancy with SIL, and she turned out a-ok ;). Some people cannot keep a speck of food down during their first trimester - I lost TWELVE POUNDS with DD2 in the first 14 weeks. DD was fine. While it is, of course, important to take good care of yourself when you're pregnant, the first trimester can be rough and the embryo needs surprisingly little to survive and thrive. I was so sick and freaked out about DD2, but my OB told me that my body would always "give" to the baby first.

Forgive yourself and do your best. And stop worrying (as much as you can) - it's not good for YOU or the baby!

Indianamom2
05-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, I think you're going to be just fine.

Eat whatever appeals at this point, especially if you're having a hard time keeping food down or having very little appetite. I had a really, really low appetite and puked for months with Ds#2. Completely unintentionally, I lost about 30 lbs. while pregnant. I technically only gained 6 lbs. from start to finish. Ds#2 is just fine.

MamaMolly
05-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Try not to worry too much. I think the calorie restriction is harder on you than it would be on baby. Baby will get what ever s/he needs from your body, it is you that will be depleted. Otherwise how would all those mamas with horrible morning sickness turn out so well? ;)

I do understand. I remember when my BFF in college found out she was expecting...the day she went to get birth control pills! She'd only been married about 6 months, was kind of partying, and fell apart when she realized that all she'd eaten that day was an entire bag of Cheetos. It happens. Her DD is now a lovely bright 14 year old. At the time I thought it was so funny, but now as a Mama I understand completely.

Take your prenatals, try to get some rest and be kind to yourself. You've done *nothing* wrong. :kisscheek: