PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Calling crafty/frugal moms: How to fix this?

bubbaray
05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Update:

Well, leave it to the menfolk to actually figure this one out.

DH's friend suggested that he cut a piece of plywood to fit and either have the kids cover it with hand prints or paint it with black chalkboard paint. We chose the black chalkboard paint. It looks pretty good, even without any chalk drawings on it. The kids are excited that they will be able to write "placenames" when the ILs come over to visit.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else needs to replace a glass patio table top!

ETA: he used pretty thin plywood and used AutoCAD at work and a large plotter to get the dimensions exact. Frankly, I think he could have put the table upside down and traced inside with a pencil, but he needed to do it "his" way. LOL

Melissa

We have an outdoor patio table similar to this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/5/TheOutdoorRoom/ExoticFurniture/PRD~0880490P/High%252BPatio%252BTable%25252C%252BOsaka%252BColl ection.jsp?locale=en

DH left it outside over the winter and the glass insert shattered. To replace just the glass would be about $200. Plexiglass would be about $150. DH wants to just buy a new table, which I think is wasteful. I suggested he cut a piece of wood and tile it. He says he can't because (unlike the table linked to) ours is not a pure rectangle, its rather oval in parts (though it does have corners like a rectangle). He says its too hard to cut tile to fit the table shape.

Any ideas?

JTsMom
05-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Do care if the shape remains the same? If not, he could make an entirely new top that would have an edge that would sit over the whole thing. Does that make sense? Picture something like a piece of canvas where it would just cover the whole existing top and overhang some. You could still tile it, or use a nice cedar and stain it.

Honestly though, it's probably more trouble than it's worth, depending on how many of the required tools you have.

goodnightmoon
05-09-2010, 04:09 PM
What about a mosaic with broken pieces of tile and glass?

bubbaray
05-09-2010, 04:12 PM

OOOOH, loving this idea!

bubbaray
05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Do care if the shape remains the same? If not, he could make an entirely new top that would have an edge that would sit over the whole thing.

Not really -- I actually don't like the table, but just hate "waste". I wanted teak. He is now actually looking at teak tables. LOL. But, yeah, he has all the tools and know-how to make a new top. I also like the PP's mosaic idea....

s7714
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

And you could always do the central part with standard tile and then just do a border of sorts with mosaic to save time.

larig
05-09-2010, 07:53 PM
these tiles would be super easy to use for a table top. Super cute, but a little pricey. (they have other colors.)
http://www.modwalls.com/moddotzmarshmallowmatte.aspx

bubbaray
07-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Bumping for update! :)

MommyAllison
07-17-2010, 07:14 PM
That exact situation happened to us, and DH & BIL made a new plywood top for ours too. Chalkboard paint is a great idea!! Glad you were able to salvage it :)