PDA

View Full Version : DS started referring to himself in the 3rd person--Anyone BTDT?

HIU8
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
DS is 5 1/2. Just this weekend he began to only refer to himself in the 3rd person (and use 3 word sentences to boot). I don't get it. I know he is not as mature as his classmates and is still somewhat experimenting with language, but why this all of a sudden? I hope it's a phase. It's actually beginning to grate on my nerves when he can speak perfectly fine.

Anyone BTDT? Any advise? I am trying to ignore it in the hopes that he just stops if he doesn't see it affect me.

ourbabygirl
05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Any chance he's been watching a lot of Elmo lately? ;) That's the first thing that came to mind, as DD (19 months) loves Elmo on Sesame Street and I just can't handle him and his "Elmo loves ____" or "Elmo knows how to _____" Drives me crazy! (But not as crazy as Baby Bear!) :rotflmao:

HIU8
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Nope, no elmo here. DS actually hasn't watched elmo in about 3 years (he never really took to elmo anyway). I don't know why other than he is testing us or something.

schums
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
DS did this for a couple of YEARS, from about 4 1/2 to 6 1/2. It was really bad around 5-6 ish. Not all the time, but enough. It's a phase, and it passes. The K teacher was a little concerned, but not enough to have him evaluated or something. My brother thought it was funny -- he said maybe DS was prepping for a pro sports contract (apparently some of the really famous players do this).

Don't worry -- it'll pass, probably into something even more annoying!

Fairy
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
This is probably of no help, but I speak in the third person alot in an effort to be "funny" or "amusing." Now, I'm not 5. But I can remember doing it even while I was much younger and being self-aware about why I was doing it. maybe I was 8 or so? Thinking it was funny in some way. Could it be he's trying to be amusing in some way? Total long shot, but wanted to throw it out there.

clc053103
05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Reminds me of Jimmy on Seinfeld.

"Jimmy's sweet on Elaine".

I don't think I'd be concerned, sounds more like he's doing it for fun.