PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get laryngitis/cough with allergies OR acid reflux?

tmarie
05-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I've been dealing with a sore throat and froggy voice for weeks. I also still have this dry cough that is worse at night. Could the voice/cough just be from allergies? I''m on allergy meds, but everyone seems to be suffering terribly this year.

Just trying to decide if this warrants a trip to the doctor, and if so, which one. I recently started reflux meds, so I don't know if the voice/cough issues could be related to that issue.

TIA!

tmarie

SpaceGal
05-09-2010, 09:56 PM
During allergy season I get a bad cough that just doesn't go away. No real meds help and to make matters worse I get wheezy. What did help me at night was to run a humidifier, nasal rinse and taking some mucinex to break up the phlegm I felt inside.

Two of my SILs get the same thing and I believe DH just started getting it too.

HIU8
05-09-2010, 09:59 PM
This allergy season has been really bad for me. I have had a sinus infection with strep throat. When I get the cough I get the mucous buildup and then I can't talk--this quickly turns into something that needs antibiotics for me. So, I normally go to the doctor. Right now I'm doing a sinus rinse 2x a day with nasonex and zyrtec. It seems to be keeping things at bay.

BabyMine
05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
The reflux can cause the larngitis but so can allergies. Allergies can cause a whole bunch of problems and make others worse. I would go to an allergist and get put on a good antihistamine. I had to try several before I found one that worked.

ShanaMama
05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I actually got bronchitis as a result of allergies. I knew that cough & horrible achy feeling was worse than typical allergies so I went to my primary dr. I felt so validated when he gave my the spir0something that you breathe into & I was shocked by how low I was hitting. Everyone thought I was overreacting by going to the doctor for allergies.

I like him because he practices by current research- not by what the patient wants. Several times he's refused to give me antibiotics for recurrent sinus infections (which I'd treated for years!). He explained how to preempt the allergies & also suggested I get my tonsils removed. All OT, but the point is he only gave me an inhaler for the bronchitis as well as nasal spray & daily Claritin/ Mucinex. Thanks to all his recommendations I can't remember the last time I've taken antibiotics. I used to take them several times each season.