PDA

View Full Version : What summer activities and camps are your dc's doing?

billysmommy
05-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I just signed the boys up for all their summer activities. They chose a wide variety...lol

Ds1 is 7 and he chose lacrosse, a theater camp, a nature camp, Summer Adventure camp, a science camp and a multi-sport camp. Each of these are a week long. Some are 9-12 and some are 8:30-3.

Ds2 is 4 and is beyond excited that he is old enough to go to camp this summer too. He has a theater camp, an art camp, a nature camp, a fairytale camp and Beach Buddies camp. His are all just for the mornings.

Plus we have swimming lessons. It's going to be a busy summer :)

egoldber
05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Well for us camp is summer child care, so it isn't quite the same. ;)

But older DD (8 turning 9 this summer) is doing....

The Ancient World (3 weeks)
Harry Potter Camp (a Girl Scout day camp with a HP theme)
Camp Invention (science camp)
Girl Scout horsebacking riding camp (one week, sleep away)
Camp Grandma ;) (visiting my ILs for a week, flying by herself one leg :eek:)
basic, fun summer activity camp at the school she will go to next year
another science camp at the same place younger DD is in daycare/camp

Younger DD (3) is going to the same place she goes to daycare. In the summer they call it "camp" and they do a lot of outdoor water play. :p

mecawa
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
DD1, who is 6, is doing two different camps. She is doing 3 weeks at a Nature Exploration camp and 4 weeks of gymnastic camp, and having two weeks of off for day trips with the family. DD2 is hanging out with me all summer(only 16 months old).

kristac
05-10-2010, 11:06 AM
DS5 is doing swim team 4 days a week for most of the summer.
He is also doing 1 week of Art camp and 1 week Multisports camp. Probably a week or 2 of VBS as well.

DS3 is doing 1 week of Art camp.

bnme
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
My boys 5 & 7 are doing a 5 week playground camp that runs from 9-12 daily. They are also signed up for a 1 week art class sponsered by the town that meets for 1.5 hrs a day. I hope to sign them up for a golf clinic that meets 2x per week for 3 weeks (it is a 1 hour & I stay). Plus we will do swimming lessons.

I sorta wish I was working because there are so many fun camp options that I know they would love but they are way over my budget (and many would be over my budget even if I was working-yikes)!

I hope to spend lots of our down time taking them to the beach, local hiking, mini day trips, and hosting playdayes since this most likely will be my last summer as a SAHM.

AnnieW625
05-10-2010, 02:50 PM
dd will continue ballet on Sat. am, will attend preschool summer camp three mornings a week for June/part of July (and daycare the rest of the week), and then will have swim lessons on another day of the week TBD.

Twoboos
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I really have to get on the ball and figure out what camps DDs will do. Many of the one week specialty camps I would LOVE for them to attend are during the weeks we're away on vaca. ARG!!!

So far they are going to do 2, 3day sessions of morning camp just when school is finished. And 2.5 weeks of swim lessons 3 days/week. I have to review the rest of the options!!

maestramommy
05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Dora is doing 2 weeks of camp at our local montessori school. The kids do some regular montessori work, but each week focuses on a theme. She is doing a Day at the Beach, and Art mania.

I am also looking for a dance class for Dora and Arwyn, just for the summer. And hoping to sign them up at the town pool for a "getting comfy with water" class. The kids start out in the splash pool, and end up in the regular pool if they choose.

rlu
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
None, really. We are in the situation when DH or I are home most days. My folks will watch DS 3 days a week so I can go into the office and, unless his work situation changes, DH will entertain DS the other two days while I put in my partial work days at home.

DS has baseball through the end of school - he really wanted to so we did that in lieu of a sport/class during summer.

DS will have swim lessons through the summer, that's about it. He wants to play ice hockey (as opposed to roller hockey which is a somewhat local option here, although about a hour each way, he sees the commericals during the Sharks games) so we will be working on his balance activities (remove bike training wheels, more scooter work, roller skates, possibly skateboard?) and when we think he's ready, ice skating lessons either this summer or possibly next fall.

We are planning to put DS into Scouts by next fall, if we don't do the spring recruitment this month. Most of the local packs go dormant over the summer which we find frustrating as we'd love to take advantage of the scout summer camps. DH is looking into the local camps to see if DS & DH can go even if his pack doesn't.

I'd love to put DS into various camps, but they are too pricey so we save what we can now for when we will need to use camps as daycare in the future.

eta: Donna's post reminded me, we have a camping trip planned in July and we will be doing day trips with DS to the beach and forest. We are blessed with diverse natural settings within 90 minutes of us and centrally located in the Bay Area to go to various world-class museums and aquariums. Plus, DS still gets a big kick out of riding our light rail, even if we don't really go anywhere. The child would probable expire from excitment if we took BART underground.

smilequeen
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Their school has a camp for 6 weeks, so they are doing that. They are in 2 week sessions and are themed. DS1 is in K so they are more along the lines of fun light academic camps (Montessori school, so that style). Science and Math (CSI theme), Social studies and Science (based on spanish speaking countries and nature), and Math and Spanish, based on games and all things Mexico. I think the Spanish week will be a huge hit as their Spanish teacher is seriously the best, most animated, fun teacher I have ever met.

DS2 is in preschool camp with 3 different themes...Swamps, fairy tales, and bugs.

They are also signed up for swimming lessons.

jenmcadams
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Last summer my kiddos did a bunch of camps, but this summer, we're going a little more mellow. We belong to a neighborhood pool and will do swim lessons (my older DD might do swim team). My DD's softball season goes until mid-July and my son is playing T-ball. Our soccer (DDs U8 level) team might sponsor a 1x per week neighborhood kick-around and we might do a week long soccer camp for my DD, but we haven't decided yet.

My DD continues piano lessons 1x per week through the summer and otherwise we'll probably do a few weekends of camping, a week in OR visiting my parents and maybe a weekend at a lake about an hour from here.

Basically, I'm hoping for a mellow summer with lots of swimming and lots of hiking :)

lorinick
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
None. Ds1 usually does one camp. This year he's swim practice will keep him busy during the day. Plus I hate running around like crazy in the summer time. We belong to a swim club and spend many days there and the shore. So as low key as possiable around here.

pinkmomagain
05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah! Everyone is in daycamp all day/everyday!!!!! This will be the first time my youngest is in an all day situation but returning to the same camp she was at last year....where my middle one attends as well . And my oldest is trying a theatre arts program this summer that I think she will adore (plus will be bused --- yay!). Can you tell I'm excited?

vludmilla
05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Swimming lessons.
Lots of grandma/pa time.
Preschool day care "camp" a couple of days a week.

Christeen_Trevor
05-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I have looked into camps but many of them are expensive. I am a sahm.
They are doing two weeks of vbs -- one week is at our church and I am volunteering and the other is at a nearby church. We are going on a family vacation to pine cove family camp in June for a week. I also expect that we will spend alot of time at our neighborhood pool, ymca pool, moody gardens pool and the beach. I live in League city -- suburb of Houston about 20 north of Galveston. The kids will also go to their mimis in north tx for a week. Blc it is so hot most of what we will do will either be water related or inside ( library events, bowling, movies, childrens museum etc) Summer here is triple digits

HIU8
05-12-2010, 11:33 AM
My kids are in daycamp all day every day as well. Although it's only for 5 weeks and I work PT from home. They have done it before and I know will have a blast.

GaPeach_in_Ca
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
My rising 1st grader is going to 1 week of Lego robotics camp, 2 weeks of "splash" camp (swim lessons every day and water related field trip on Friday), 2 weeks of K/1 general day camp at the Y and 2 weeks of K-5 childcare camp at our school. Both the last 2 have field trips every week as well.

5 of these weeks, I'll actually be at home, so we may cancel some depending on how much fun he is having. He loves camp days at the Y care when school is off, so I think he'll have fun. When I'm at home, he'll do less than the 8-6 he has to do when I'm working.

ETA: 1 week we will have Grandma visit and maybe visit Auntie. We have 2 weeks planned for vacation, but no vacation planned yet. :p