PDA

View Full Version : Is 3 yrs old to young for a leapster?

HIU8
05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
DS has a leapster. He is 5 1/2. He has had it for a year and just figured out how to use it (he has fine and gross motor issues and I think he is finally catching up). Anyway, DD, who will be 3 in June really wants to play the games. I cannot pass it down yet as DS is still using it. I was going to get DD her own (sharing a leapster is probably not a good idea since DS plays his constantly now). Is she to young? Are there games for her age or do they start at 4?

hillview
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes too young IMO. DS1 is 4.5 and really doesn't get it / play it much. It is harder to use and also requires some reading or word/number skills. There are a few things you can do (color) but really, the itouch has better things for this age IMO.
/hillary

Melaine
05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
If you could find one used for a good deal it might be worth it. We gave them to the girls for their 3rd birthday and they do really enjoy the coloring game that came with it. You might find she picks up some of the games quicker from watching DS. We still have a couple games saved but haven't pulled them out and will save them for 4th birthday probably.

clc053103
05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
DS got his at 3.5 and picked it up very quickly. they do have games specifically for ages 4 and up.

katydid1971
05-10-2010, 02:29 PM
DS got his at 3.5 and picked it up very quickly. they do have games specifically for ages 4 and up.

:yeahthat:

fauve01
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
DS has a leapster. He is 5 1/2. He has had it for a year and just figured out how to use it (he has fine and gross motor issues and I think he is finally catching up). Anyway, DD, who will be 3 in June really wants to play the games. I cannot pass it down yet as DS is still using it. I was going to get DD her own (sharing a leapster is probably not a good idea since DS plays his constantly now). Is she to young? Are there games for her age or do they start at 4?

IMO it depends on the kid. if the kid is a little advanced with letter recognition and good with fine motor, she'd probably be able to manipulate the stylus and do some of the letter/coloring games. My DD got her leapster a couple months after she turned 3 and she did fine.

be aware, however, that sometimes the stylus is wonky. sometimes it doesn't pick up what DC is trying to do, or if DC doesn't draw the line or whatever exactly where it wants you to do, it makes DC do it over. this can be extremely frustrating for them! dd would usually change games if that happened to her.

You can recalibrate the stylus if it starts happening a lot and it helps.

good luck!
anne + dd 10-03

fauve01
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
but really, the itouch has better things for this age IMO.
/hillary

I just got an itouch and i agree it would be GREAT for age 3 (DD is constantly swiping mine). however i am guessing the OP's 5YO would want it too! itouch is WAY more expensive than leapster, especially if you have to buy 2...! LOL :rotflmao:

Anne + DD 10-03

stonecali
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I agree, it depends on the child. We gave DD one for her 4th birthday, and she loved it. DS was almost 2, and it was a constant fight between the two of then, so for his 2nd birthday the next month, we gave him one. He caught on pretty quickly. At first he could only paint, but then he liked the rabbit "frogger" game even though he had no idea how to use it, it was funny when the rabbit would fall into the water and splash. Now, we have most of the 4-6 year old and 4-7 year old games and he plays them fine, except he can't do the math problems so he ends up just guessing which is fine with him. :)

I don't think DD would have caught on at his age, he is very young to be doing what he is with it.

FWIW, I bought his Leapster and all the games on ebay. So, the investment wasn't huge since we were not sure if he would even like it.

ohiomom1121
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Not at all. DD got one for her 3rd birthday and was doing great with it by 3.5. DS is 18 months younger and wants everything like her...to the point they were fighting over it so we got him one at 2.5. He picked it up really quickly. He turns 4 in a month and has been playing games for 5 year olds with no issues for a while. DH often says those Leapsters have been some of our best purchases. Both kids take them to bed and play with them before they go to sleep, and on almost every long car trip.

kboyle
05-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes too young IMO. DS1 is 4.5 and really doesn't get it / play it much. It is harder to use and also requires some reading or word/number skills. There are a few things you can do (color) but really, the itouch has better things for this age IMO.
/hillary

we have a a leapster that gets NO play in the house. ds1 got it when he was 3 and grew out of it by 5.5 (he got DS at 5, but played leapster for a good 6mo before getting used to DS). ds2 got a DS on his 4th bday (turning 5 in Aug) and recently REALLY picked up how to play the DS in the past few months...he still can't figure out leapster game, but i also think that the stylus and controls are a bit slow to respond. ds3 is turning 3 in a few weeks and he has no interest in the leapster, like pp said i think the touch has WAY more to do for that age group...i will totally admit it, ds3 is getting a touch for his bday :)