PDA

View Full Version : Can childrens claritin (generic version) hype a kid up?

HIU8
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
I switched DD from zyrtec to claritin (generic versions). Zyrtec wasn't helping. I gave her claritin last night and she was up until 10 pm (we put her down at 8:30). Can claritin non-drowsy cause a child to be more hyped up? If so, I need to give it to her in the morning instead.

egoldber
05-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Absolutely. This actually happened to my older DD with Zyrtec. She was fine once we switched it to the morning.

HIU8
05-10-2010, 12:46 PM
I thought so. I am switching DD to the morning so she and I can get some sleep. So far the claritin is working--which I am thankful for.

hellokitty
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, it can. One of my friends' son had the same reaction. Also, sometimes ppl can take a name brand version of a drug, but not a generic version of it. One of DH's profs in college was acting loopy in class. Turns out that she had switched from a name brand drug to the generic version and it just didn't react well with her.

HIU8
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
So far, after 12 hours DD's nose is clear vs. on the zyrtec it wasn't. I'm going to give the claritin to DD Tuesday AM (I gave it to her Sunday pm) and see how she does. I was just so relieved she could breathe through her nose better.

ewpmsw
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I've often heard that antihistimes can have an activating or stimulating effect on some people, regardless of age. Benadryl puts me through the roof and keeps me from sleeping, and a friend's toddler can't take it for the same reason.