PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not love their BJCE?

Jennifer626
05-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Getting ready to buy a 2010 and just double checking, all I read on here are good things! Anybody have any negatives or not happy with their BJCE?

Thanks!

Lila
05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh dear. Well, Don't read my thread about the Si! (We get into the BJCE) but I have the 2009 ...

DD is actually napping in it now. I need a belly bar for it. It's a bit big for my taste, but I don't have much else to compare it to. Only real issue for me at the moment, though, is the seat is not upright. But I guess that's the way with the AT three-tire strollers. DD likes to be upright and look back. But when she's in it, she seems sort of "strapped down" and she doesn't move around much :)

Jennifer626
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Oh dear. Well, Don't read my thread about the Si! (We get into the BJCE) but I have the 2009 ...

DD is actually napping in it now. I need a belly bar for it. It's a bit big for my taste, but I don't have much else to compare it to. Only real issue for me at the moment, though, is the seat is not upright. But I guess that's the way with the AT three-tire strollers. DD likes to be upright and look back. But when she's in it, she seems sort of "strapped down" and she doesn't move around much :)

I just read through that whole post, and LOL!!

So what did you decide on? Are you going to keep the BJCE and the Si? Also, my advice for you with the BJCE, skip the belly bar, and buy the child tray instead...it's really nice once they start eating cheerios and drinking with a sippy cup!

Multimama
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't really like my BJCE, but I also have the 2009.

I don't like the fold. The 2009 doesn't have a latch on it so it's hard to carry it around (up and down stairs). Also it tends to unfold if it is leaned against something. But I heard the 2010 does have a latch, so that would be better.

The other thing about the fold though is that you have to snap in and out these two safety snaps every time you use the stroller (fold or unfold) and it's a huge pain and I can't personally do it with one hand, so it isn't a one handed fold/unfold for me. But I've heard that other people just don't use the safety snaps.

I *do* really like the way you are automatically holding a "handle" for the stroller when you fold it to get on the bus or something. And the fold is fast, so I do see why other people like the fold. If you're always putting it in and out of the car and you don't care about the safety snaps you'll probably like the fold.

I think it is really wide. I have mixed feelings about this. I wish I had gone with something narrower, but on the other hand I do like how incredibly stable it feels and I think that's partly from the wide wheel base. I like the option of a toddler seat too and I think the wide base would help make that a safe option, although I hear that is being discontinued and I don't like the low weight limit.

I have the 2009 with the crappy basket. I hear the 2010 basket is better though.

I also don't like the brake. I heard that the 2010 had a hand brake, but then I also heard that it didn't. If it has the same brake as the 2009 then I don't really like it. It's hard to release and if you're wearing open toed shoes it can actually hurt because it's rough on the bottom rather than smooth. A hand brake would be cool though.

Also, I don't like the mechanism of keeping the "kicker" footrest up. it seems like they could have designed something better than that. Mine is always dangling or getting in the way.

Mainly though I don't like that it's not reversible. This is of course not the fault of the stroller, but there it is. If I had to do over I would get a reversible AT stroller instead. I still want one actually. We'll see.

I also don't like that it doesn't come with any accessories and the accessories are all insanely expensive. We really need a rain cover, but it's $40. Considering how expensive the stroller is I think it's a bit ridiculous to charge that much for something it should really come with.

There is a lot to love though! But I'm sure you already know about all that stuff. :)

jacksmoma
05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
they are really really wide, heavy, and just big. it it'll be staying only in the garage for walks, no prob. if it'll be your only, i'd reconsider. the b. indie is much lighter and smaller all around. the bjcm makes a MUCH better only than the elite. i've had them all!

purpelina
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I don't!
well, I have the city classic version, but it's very similar. I don't hate it, but am also not thrilled with it. But sadly, out of all strollers I bought and sold, this one is my husband's favorite. He'll probably divorce me if I get rid of it :love-retry: So we keep it for now.

BUT: it's wide, it's HEAVY , and awkward to open, when I take it out. I also don't like that it folds "outwards" exposing the seat fabric to all the dirt and stuff. Horrible at a restaurant. You really need to go to a huge and half empty space, if you are with a big baby jogger. So if you are walking around town, with bjce, happy about easy steering over broken sidewalks, you either stay hungry or eat at home... And who wants to cook after a long day downtown... wah!

georgiegirl
05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I actually LOVE mine, but I've only had it for 1.5 weeks. I just keep it in the garage for walks around my neighborhood, although I have brought it out twice for walks at the park. It pushes so nicely and the seat is so comfy. My son (9 mo) loves to fall asleep in it. I like the foot break (although it is a pain to release with sandals on). My 4 year old can also hitch a ride in the footwell. It is awesome in the grass too (we live on 2 acres.) I love the full canopy and the magnetic peek-a-boo windows and the side vents.

Andi98989
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a 2010 BJCE and we love it. We needed a stroller with a height adjustable handle so that DH could use it and this one fit the bill for us.

It does have a "hand brake" if you want to call it that. It's not a brake that you would use for slowing down the stroller while it's in use, but more of a parking brake. It is a super easy to use "switch" on the side of the handle. You just flip it to turn it on/off. Very easy.

When folding the stroller, there is a latch to keep it closed. Not a huge deal to me that I can't unlatch it or latch it one-handed; I either leave DS in the carseat or put him in it and then deal with the stroller.

The basket and parent console are really nice. I love that there's a flap to close off half of the parent console.

The canopy is amazing and I like that there are the magnetic closures (quiet) versus velcro (which = noisy as a cannon to DS).

It pushes like a dream and turns great! We use it mainly outdoors and I don't find that it is overly wide. We have an Ergo and a Graco Mosaic that we use for smaller and/or indoor places. I definitely wouldn't classify the BJCE as a mall stroller, but I don't think it is any more unweildly than a double stroller would be.

swissair81
05-10-2010, 09:50 PM
skip the belly bar, and buy the child tray instead...it's really nice once they start eating cheerios and drinking with a sippy cup!

I believe the child tray attaches to the belly bar. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Suzanne74
05-10-2010, 10:31 PM
No the belly bar and the tray are two separate items and can both be placed in the side holes as accessories.

I do like my 2010 BJCE. It has one of the highest seat backs in all of strollerland and can hold a child up to 75lbs. You can literally use this stroller from 6-7months until 5 years old. It has MAJOR longevity factor. And that is why it is big. It isn't a mini, a bee, a vista, indie and other strollers that might seem better at age 1 but by age 3 they are waaay too small. Their pluses are they are more compact but the price you pay is that you will be getting another stroller by the age of 2.5 or 3 unless they are very small for their age. Some people prefer that and that is fine.

Others want one stroller that will last them a super long time. I think the #1 AT stroller for that is the BJCE and the #1 umbrella is a Mac Quest/Triumph. So this stroller is for someone who realizes it is a big long lasting all-terrain and understands it might not be ideal all the time but will be most of the time for a long time. Does that make sense?

The 2010 foam tires are great. I HATE pumping small air tires. HATE IT. I love the parking brake right by the handlebar because I am a flip-flop lover. The canopy is incredible, the parent console rocks, it is one of the few AT strollers that has a leg kicker. You can access the front of the basket from there too. It is hard as heck to access the back of the basket because of length of the seatback but anything you need can easily be reached from the side.

And honestly, it is 25lbs but the fold is so darn easy and yes there is a latch now so it is super easy to get it in and out of the car. I am not quite sure why so many people complain about that bulkiness of it folded. I think for the size of the stroller the fold/compact is great. My Bumbleride Flyer takes up more room in my SUV trunk then the BJCE. Also, it is wider but like another poster mentioned, it is more stable - less likely to tip to one side.

I think my only downside is that the seatback is so tall and the canopy so great that I (5'3) have to tippy toe to see in the peek a boo window when it is on top. The adjustable handlebar is a must. My DH looooooooves this stroller. It can definitely pass for a "man stroller."

Oh I hate adjusting the straps and you really have to adjust the crotch strap big time for a little one. But once they were set, it was great.

Good luck with your decision.

swissair81
05-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Ah, I get it. I only have a double BJ & the child trays on the double require the use of the belly bar.

Multimama
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
You can literally use this stroller from 6-7months until 5 years old.

You can use the BJCE from birth, right? I didn't, but it seems like it reclines essentially flat. I think I'd be happy using it from birth with a snuzzler and maybe the firm cardboard back that BJ sells.

As others have said, there is lots to love about this stroller, I thought you were asking for what one might not love about it, so that's what I told you. :) I will also tell you that the #1 reason we haven't gotten a different AT is because my DH loooooooves this stroller. And also because I know in a few years I'll be happy we didn't get something smaller, like the PP said.

Suzanne74
05-11-2010, 09:01 AM
You can use the BJCE from birth, right? I didn't, but it seems like it reclines essentially flat. I think I'd be happy using it from birth with a snuzzler and maybe the firm cardboard back that BJ sells.

As others have said, there is lots to love about this stroller, I thought you were asking for what one might not love about it, so that's what I told you. :) I will also tell you that the #1 reason we haven't gotten a different AT is because my DH loooooooves this stroller. And also because I know in a few years I'll be happy we didn't get something smaller, like the PP said.

I don't think the harness is that secure but you are right, in the flat recline position with a snuggler, it would work. The fact that there is a kicker helps too.

And yes, you are right about the posting. I should have only listed what I didn't like but I also didn't want her to think I don't like the stroller.

Jennifer626
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your answers ladies!

Yes, I posted asking for any "negative reviews" because everything I see is so fantastic! I am going to play with my friend's 2009 BJCE this weekend, and hopefully that will give me a better idea of what to expect.

I had a snap n go, then a Kolcraft Contours, then a Bugaboo Frog. I really liked all of those, but now I'm just so tired of the Bugaboo fold, no real storage, the sun in my DD's eyes all the time, etc.

I really want something that is AT, with a great fold, lots of parent features, and a kid tray for a sippy cup. Primary use is for loooong walks outside on bumpy streets and trails. And it has to be ok for occasional mall use. I've been using my Bugaboo at the mall and its been fine so far. And I always see a ton of Moms with Bob's at the mall, and they are close to the same size, right?

I have my Frog on CL and as soon as I can sell it I'm ordering a green 2010 BJCE!

Jennifer626
05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
No the belly bar and the tray are two separate items and can both be placed in the side holes as accessories.

I do like my 2010 BJCE. It has one of the highest seat backs in all of strollerland and can hold a child up to 75lbs. You can literally use this stroller from 6-7months until 5 years old. It has MAJOR longevity factor. And that is why it is big. It isn't a mini, a bee, a vista, indie and other strollers that might seem better at age 1 but by age 3 they are waaay too small. Their pluses are they are more compact but the price you pay is that you will be getting another stroller by the age of 2.5 or 3 unless they are very small for their age. Some people prefer that and that is fine.

Others want one stroller that will last them a super long time. I think the #1 AT stroller for that is the BJCE and the #1 umbrella is a Mac Quest/Triumph. So this stroller is for someone who realizes it is a big long lasting all-terrain and understands it might not be ideal all the time but will be most of the time for a long time. Does that make sense?

The 2010 foam tires are great. I HATE pumping small air tires. HATE IT. I love the parking brake right by the handlebar because I am a flip-flop lover. The canopy is incredible, the parent console rocks, it is one of the few AT strollers that has a leg kicker. You can access the front of the basket from there too. It is hard as heck to access the back of the basket because of length of the seatback but anything you need can easily be reached from the side.

And honestly, it is 25lbs but the fold is so darn easy and yes there is a latch now so it is super easy to get it in and out of the car. I am not quite sure why so many people complain about that bulkiness of it folded. I think for the size of the stroller the fold/compact is great. My Bumbleride Flyer takes up more room in my SUV trunk then the BJCE. Also, it is wider but like another poster mentioned, it is more stable - less likely to tip to one side.

I think my only downside is that the seatback is so tall and the canopy so great that I (5'3) have to tippy toe to see in the peek a boo window when it is on top. The adjustable handlebar is a must. My DH looooooooves this stroller. It can definitely pass for a "man stroller."

Oh I hate adjusting the straps and you really have to adjust the crotch strap big time for a little one. But once they were set, it was great.

Good luck with your decision.

Very helpful, thank you!!

arivecchi
05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
This thread is heresy! :tongue5: