PDA

View Full Version : Please share your kids's (ages 6+) favorite iphone apps

baymom
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi Ladies,

We've had several threads about favorite iphone apps, but I was wondering if any of you can recommend an app for an 'older' child--age 6 and up? Mine loves the loud driving type games, but I'd love to find something that encourages him to think a little bit. Not necessarily overtly educational, but maybe something that requires logic or problem solving. Overtly educational ideas are welcome, too, of course. Right now, I'm trying "Unblock Me," but it's a bit hard for him. TIA!

fauve01
05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi Ladies,

We've had several threads about favorite iphone apps, but I was wondering if any of you can recommend an app for an 'older' child--age 6 and up? Mine loves the loud driving type games, but I'd love to find something that encourages him to think a little bit. Not necessarily overtly educational, but maybe something that requires logic or problem solving. Overtly educational ideas are welcome, too, of course. Right now, I'm trying "Unblock Me," but it's a bit hard for him. TIA!

OOOooooh, thanks for posting this! i can't wait to see the recommendations. most of mine were free, some were a dollar or two.

Educational apps my 6.5YO DD likes:
word scramble (it's like Boggle)
Kids word search (i think this was 99 cents)
Matches
Sticker Shop (you pick out a sticker and "buy" it with coins, making exact change)
Clock Drill
Kid Calc (i think this was 99 cents). i don't think she does this one much.
what the difference (lite)

there are a few others she loves that i don't think are very educational (cupcakes! Hatch, Paper toss, etc.). she absolutely lives for Bejeweled! that one was GREAT for our 5 hour flight last month; totally worth the $3 or whatever it was. :rotflmao:

edited to add--dd really likes to help me find words when i'm playing scrabble (Words wtih Friends). we can't play this out and about because it's an iTouch andwe need wifi.

also edited to add: i forgot DD also likes the Word Jong app. it's like Mahjong, but the tiles have letters and you have to make words to make them disappear. DD likes Mahjong on my laptop, and i have that app on my itouch, but it's small and harder to play on the itouch, so we hardly ever do.

she also likes the french and italian 24/7 tutor. she likes to listen and repeat

looking forward to some new recommendations. :)

Anne + DD 10-03

Neatfreak
05-11-2010, 02:13 AM
My kiddo (almost six years) likes

- Highlights Hidden Pictures
- Memory Pro (matching game)
- Scoops (catch ice cream scoops on a cone)
- TicTacFree
- Simon Classic (different sort of memory game)
- SpinArt

Melbel
05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Great thread. I look forward to checking out some of the recommendations.

My 8 and 10 year old enjoy

Paper Toss
Bubble Wrap
Doodle Jump
Snail Mail
App box pro
Doodle Buddy
Falling Gems
Boxed in
Koala Darts