PDA

View Full Version : Tummy Time Recommendations

Chryz
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I've seen the "blanket with toys"...which one do you recommend? Or is there something out there that is better?
I'm a FTM so any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

TIA!

Katigre
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't think a blanket with toys is worth the $$ b/ you an lay baby on her tummy with toys just as easily :).

For us, we did tummy time after every diaper change - we let their bottom air out. It prevented diaper rash and also helped them get used to it - both kids loved it by 6 weeks of age and had great trunk strength. We also did a lot with us laying on our back and the baby laying on our chest - since they can see our faces and feel our heartbeat that was fun for them - much more interactive than laying on a mat with toys and free too ;).

Chryz
05-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you--LOVE the ideas! :)

Green22
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
When do you start doing tummy time? I think I missed the memo.

PearlsMom
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Our childbirth instructor gives this great class about infant development, with real live babies to demonstrate techniques! She had a 4 week old pushing up on her elbows -- it was amazing! She tucked the elbows under and put a little pressure on the baby's bum to help her with leverage. Granted, this only lasted a few moments; those heads are heavy.

For tummy time entertainment she recommends using a black-and-white or other high-contrast soft "book" or set of panels, and/or a mirror. All the babies in the class seemed to really love it. I couldn't believe what they could do at such young ages.

This is kind of like the book she used:
http://www.amazon.com/Lamaze-Discovery-Shapes-Activity-Gallery/dp/B002WN2ASI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1273599051&sr=1-10

She did say that the "baby gyms" (the blankets with arches on which toys are suspended) can be good because they encourage baby to move his head in different directions and to reach/stretch. But that is back time, not tummy time. And you can do the same by moving a toy around the perimeter of baby's reach by yourself.

catroddick
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
We also did a lot with us laying on our back and the baby laying on our chest - since they can see our faces and feel our heartbeat that was fun for them - much more interactive than laying on a mat with toys and free too ;).

This is how we did our tummy time. Pure bliss spending time with baby right there next to your heart!!

I also read about the benefits of skin on skin contact. Assuming it's warm enough, this is a great time to snuggle skin to skin to further bond with your baby. And it can be cozy to throw a blanket over you both if it's chilly.

Katigre
05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
When do you start doing tummy time? I think I missed the memo.
We started from the first weeks doing it after every diaper change for a few minutes :).

Swimfreak78
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
We did tummy time with toys on the carpet several times a day. T also loved his play gym for when he wanted to be on his back.

Chryz
05-11-2010, 04:51 PM
which play gym would u recommend?