PDA

View Full Version : What to make out of ground lamb?

HIU8
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I got some ground lamb at the store this week. I'm looking for ways to cook it. anyone have any suggestions?

luza
05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Shepherd's pie, kofta, or stuffed grape leaves come to mind, but the easiest, yummiest thing is to make a middle eastern "stuffing": Finely chop about 3 medium onions, cook in olive oil until translucent, then toss in 7 or 8 cloves of minced garlic and keep cooking until golden, then add a mix of about a pound of ground lamb with a pound of ground beef and cook until the meat is browned. Then mix in about a teaspoon each of pepper, salt, and allspice, plus a dash of cinnamon, and cover and cook until the liquid from the meat evaporates (maybe 10 minutes). In a separate pan, lightly brown a few tablespoons of pine nuts in a bit of olive oil, then mix in to the cooked meat.
You can eat this mix plain, with hummus and bread, use it as a filling for baked vegetables like tomatoes or peppers, or wrap it in dough and bake it like little calzones.

HIU8
05-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Yummy. This looks easy and good. I'm making it tomorrow night (need pine nuts, hummus and pita).

mskitty
05-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I got some ground lamb at the store this week. I'm looking for ways to cook it. anyone have any suggestions?

I usually make lamb meatloaf (or meatballs) with fresh rosemary for seasoning.

mskitty

HIU8
05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the middle eastern stuffing recipe. I made it tonight and DH says "you made Kibbeh--YUMMY). It did taste just like the Kibbeh we get out at our favorite middle eastern restaurant. I'm so excited. It was just so yummy!! :bowdown:

luza
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm glad you liked it! It also makes a nice addition to cooked rice, couscous, or bulgar. Just mix it in near at the end, and then serve it with a bit of plain yogurt and a chopped salad.

Pepper
05-21-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm probably too late, but for next time, try these lamb meatballs. My kids (4yo and 14 months) LOVe them:

http://neighborhood-dish.blogspot.com/2010/02/mary-had-little-ground-lamb.html

lmh2402
05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
my DH loves these

i make the meat mixture and the yogurt the night before so it's easy cooking

Merguez Meatballs with Yogurt Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
For meatballs:
1 pound ground lamb or beef (not too lean) - i've only used lamb, never beef
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground pepper

For yogurt sauce:
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
DIRECTIONS:
• To make the meatballs: Put the meat in a large bowl and add the garlic, cilantro, vinegar, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, and a generous grinding of pepper. Mix it with your hands until well blended. Set aside.
• To make the sauce: Blend the yogurt, mint, and cilantro in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, or in a blender.
• To serve: Preheat the broiler and adjust the rack so it is about 4 inches from the heating element. Form the meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs, and place them on a baking sheet with sides (work in batches if necessary).
• Broil the meatballs until they are no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice so the meatballs cook evenly. Transfer them to paper towels to drain.
• Skewer meatballs with a toothpick and serve them immediately on a platter, with the yogurt sauce in a small bowl alongside.

smcdonald2
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
You could also brown it with onions, mix in some plain yogurt with shredded cucumbers and wrap it in a pita. Yummy schwarma/gyro. :-)

salsah
05-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Shepherd's pie, kofta, or stuffed grape leaves come to mind, but the easiest, yummiest thing is to make a middle eastern "stuffing": Finely chop about 3 medium onions, cook in olive oil until translucent, then toss in 7 or 8 cloves of minced garlic and keep cooking until golden, then add a mix of about a pound of ground lamb with a pound of ground beef and cook until the meat is browned. Then mix in about a teaspoon each of pepper, salt, and allspice, plus a dash of cinnamon, and cover and cook until the liquid from the meat evaporates (maybe 10 minutes). In a separate pan, lightly brown a few tablespoons of pine nuts in a bit of olive oil, then mix in to the cooked meat.
You can eat this mix plain, with hummus and bread, use it as a filling for baked vegetables like tomatoes or peppers, or wrap it in dough and bake it like little calzones.

thanks for this recipe. i tried it and it was yummy. i also made pita bread dough, but when i rolled the dough out, i put the middle eastern stuffing on it, wrapped the dough around it, pinched it closed, and then baked it. the girls loved it and they turned out to be very portable (took the reheated leftovers to the park the next day). dd1 and dh asked me to make it again!