PDA

View Full Version : At what age did DC begin to ride a bike with training wheels?

HIU8
05-11-2010, 01:23 PM
What size was the first bike DC learned on? Did you get another bike that fit better?

DS is 5. He just learned how to ride a bike with training wheels. Right now he has a 12 bike (DS is abut 44 inches). We want to get him a new bike that fits him better. We could go with a 16 inch that he fits on (and probably will get only 1 season out of). We could go with an 18 inch where his toes touch the ground at the lowest setting, so he would have room to grow. Is it important for a first bike to be an exact fit or something that has to be grown into?

niccig
05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I think it depends on whether he'll be using training wheels or not? A friend's DS isn't on training wheels and she's still just too short to comfortably put her feet on the ground on the 18". DS is on a 16" without training wheels and he prefers to be able to put his foot flat to the ground. He hasn't figured out the tippy toe is enough just yet.

If you think he'll be on the 18" with training wheels for a little while, like a year, then maybe that would be a better fit. But bigger bikes are heavier, so if you think he'll transition out of training wheels sooner, than a 16" would be easier for him to manage.

HIU8
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't see DS off training wheels this season at all. I'm thinking a 16 inch, but at the same time it feels like a waste b/c it will be good for just a season. I wish I could find one on CL or freecycle.

niccig
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't see DS off training wheels this season at all. I'm thinking a 16 inch, but at the same time it feels like a waste b/c it will be good for just a season. I wish I could find one on CL or freecycle.

Keep checking. More seem to be listed here as it gets closer to summer. If you can't find one, you could always resell it when he's done with it, or get one that is more gender neutral, like Red or silver, so your DD can use it too.

deborah_r
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Bike shop guys told us that a child will learn better on a bike that might seem just slightly too small for them. Definitely not one they have not grown into yet. Now, these guys also are there to sell bikes, and if you don't "size up" you will be back sooner for another, so take that with a grain of salt.

But I have seen several of DS1's friends learn fast on a bike that looked too small for them (at preschool, so they were using a school bike or a friend's bike, usually, not the one that their parents had gotten them). Unfortunately, DS1 who is almost 7 has not figured this out yet. He just figured out the scooter last summer, so we are hoping he learns the bike this summer.

HIU8
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
A friend told me that DS at just about 5 1/2 learned to ride early (even with training wheels). DS has gross motor delays and I was actually judging b/c most of the kidso n our street were riding a bike with training wheels around age 4 (and DS NEVER rode a trycycle). I'm tempted to get him the 16 inch the more I think about it.

Dr C
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I would go for the smaller one esp because you have a younger child you can pass it on to. I think he'll be more comfortable if he can easily put his feet down on the ground. Plus, at 5, he may progress off training wheels quicker than you think. Do you have a neighbor or relative with an outgrown bike they could give/lend you?
DS started riding a bike with training wheels a few months before he turned 3. He's still happy on his 12 inch bike (he's about 40 inches tall). He still can't get both feet flat on the ground, even with the seat all the way down.

HIU8
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
on the 12 inch DS currently rides (with the seat all the way up) he gets on from behind. He straddles and basically walks onto the bike. With the seat at the highest setting his feet are totally flat on the ground.

KrisM
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd go with the smaller one as well.

Both DS1 and DD learned on a 12" bike. With training wheels, they were just about 3 or so and without training wheels DS1 was 4 and DD was 3.5.

DS1 is 6 and maybe 46" and still rides a 16" bike. He could probably move up, but I'm hoping to hold off until next year if I can.

o_mom
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
A friend told me that DS at just about 5 1/2 learned to ride early (even with training wheels). DS has gross motor delays and I was actually judging b/c most of the kidso n our street were riding a bike with training wheels around age 4 (and DS NEVER rode a trycycle). I'm tempted to get him the 16 inch the more I think about it.

I think your friend must not get out much. :)

With training wheels, most kids around here can do it by 4, some at 3.5 or less. WithOUT training wheels, he would probably be in the middle or on the early side.

If you want him to move off the training wheels quickly, then I would get the 16 in.

egoldber
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
My older DD (who is 50th percentile) can still ride her 16 inch bike although she really needs a 20 now. We are waiting until she masters without training wheels because it will be easier for her to learn on a smaller bike. When we got her the 16" bike she was 4 and it was just a bit of a stretch for her, and in restrospect that was a mistake.

khalloc
05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
My DD is 4.5. She is small. I think 39.5" now. Anyways, I got her a 16" bike for Xmas. It has training wheels. She has taken to riding it as soon as the weather was nice enough! She does great with the training wheels and pedaling. I think I would go for the 18" bike if I were you, or even the next size.

C99
05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
We don't use training wheels in our house. DS1 learned to ride a bike without training wheels at age 6. Before he could ride a two-wheeler (we started with a 20-inch bike), he rode a Razr scooter to get the balance part down and a big wheel for the pedals.

mikeys_mom
05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
My DS is very tall (90th percentile). We got him an 18" bike at 3.5 years old with training wheels. At the lowest seat setting his tippy toes just barely reached the ground but knew it was going to be at least a full year until we removed the training wheels at which point the bike would likely fit him properly. Because the bike had training wheels, it was not a big issue that it was a bit big on him. He used the training wheels for 2 summers. This year (3rd year of the bike) we removed the training wheels and he had no problem learning how to ride without them. The bike is currently the perfect size for him to learn and get comfortable on - with the seat at the lowest setting his feet are flat on the ground. We will likely raise the seat a bit as the summer progresses.

Could you have your DS try out the different sizes in the store and see which he is more comfortable on and which gives him more confidence?

lmintzer
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
My boys are both very small for their ages, and we always went on the small side for bikes. I bought from a good bike store, and we went with their recs.

They started at 4 on a 12". At 6, they went to a 16". Now, at 9, we just bought DS#1 a 20". He almost fit on a 24", but his feet didn't quite touch. The 20" is perfect for thim this season, and we'll probably get 1 more year out of it after that.

Their current heights: DS#1: 49" on a 20" bike. Seat is in the middle.
DS#2: almost 44" on a 16". Seat is in the middle. ETA: He uses training wheels. Doesn't seem ready to ride without.

DS#1 learned to ride without training wheels on the 12". He was already on the 16", but we used the 12" to teach him. We figured it was so close to the ground that he wouldn't be scared to fall. This all worked well, and he was able to learn in one morning (at age 6).

bubbaray
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
DD#2 is just learning now -- she's 3.25. I can't remember the size, its the smallest you can get with training wheels (but not a trike). DD#1 started at around age 3.

WatchingThemGrow
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Have you looked at the Trek Float at all? I just wonder if it would be a good thing for him to try the balance bike idea, then add the pedals once he's mastered that ? Are you familiar with that idea or followed any of the older threads about them?

HIU8
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
We tried something like it at a store. DS was adament about not doing it. He wants to pedal a bike, so that is why we are going this route. I'm not concerned how long he is on training wheels. I'm just so happy he is pedaling a bike (he has low tone issues and gross motor issues).

boolady
05-11-2010, 03:13 PM
We just got DD (3.5 y/o) a 16" bike with training wheels 2 weeks ago, and she's doing very well. It sounds like we got a larger bike than many here would have chosen for her age, but she is almost 41" tall and while her feet are not flat on the ground, she's not solely on tiptoes. The balls of her feet are very capable of being on the ground, and she really loves the new wheels.

mecawa
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM
DD1 began on a Radio Flyer Tricycle. That was the first bike she actually rode, and she was 3 1/2. When she was 4 1/2 we bought her a bike with training wheels, I THINK it's a 16 inch.

baileygirl
05-11-2010, 03:33 PM
DS1 got a 16 inch trek bike for his 3rd birthday. I think he was about 40 inches, so the bike was a bit big for him but he had no problems riding it. The people at the bike store suggested going with that size since he was comfortable on it and it would fit him within a few months. If you go with 16 inches, maybe get something that could be passed down to your daughter?