PDA

View Full Version : Cabana Tent for Beach

lizzywednesday
05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
My DD will be 4 months old this July when my ILs are renting a house down the shore for 2 weeks. As they are my childcare, I'll be going with them & using a leave period I'm newly eligible for.

I've already talked to the pediatrician about sunscreen, but a friend recommended we get a cabana tent like she had for her DD who was the same age last year when her family went down.

So, my question is ... where do I get one? Do you have one and love it? Do you have one and hate it?

TIA!

MontrealMum
05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
We had one for DS' first beach vacation, during which, he turned 12 mos. old. Although I though it was really neat - my mom bought it for him at either TRU or Target - he was scared to go in it! So it was kinda useless. It was too windy to have it up last year (it doesn't stake down as effectively as a real tent), so we made do with a longsleeved/legged swimsuit, hat, umbrellas (for all of us) and sunscreen. Now this year at age 3 I think he'd really like it, he has a play tent for indoors use too now. But I'm still not sure about the wind factor. Also, his nap time is during the high peak of sun, so we're off the beach then anyways.

goldenpig
05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
This is the one we have:
Kelty Cabana-Large
http://www.rei.com/product/732931
We bought it for our trip to Hawaii last year. It's nice and roomy and has two windows for ventilation. You can put sand in the side pockets to weigh it down. I like that it can zip completely closed--great for nursing or changing clothes. Nice to have a spot to get out of the sun especially if you have a baby.

candaceb
05-11-2010, 07:01 PM
We have the LLBean cabana:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58396?feat=sr&freeText=beach%20tent

We take it to the beach on Cape Cod and have no problems with it blowing away as long as we do a good job of filling the sand bags and burying them. I looked at lots of options before buying it two summers ago and have no regrets.

lizzywednesday
05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Thank you everybody!

I purchased the LL Bean one this week ... they were running free shipping thru 5/25, so all I paid above the purchase price was sales tax. Which still made it a great deal.

I'll do a trial run setting it up in the backyard this weekend to time how long it'll take me to set it up, but it doesn't look too much different from a dome tent, which I can do in my sleep.