PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight stroller for travel?

Sidney
05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm in the market for an umbrella stroller that will be good travel and flying. We have an Uppababy Vista which I don't want to trust the airlines with. When we fly, our son will be 10 months old. I am so confused on lightweight strollers so I need help.

First, other than the Triumph and G-Lite and G-Luxe are all under 12 lbs. After that, it seems like most are about 16 pounds...that is still considered light weight? I was considering a G-Lite or G-Luxe but I haven't read stellar reviews on them.

I know that the Triumph is a popular choice here. What about the Baby Jogger City Micro?

Important features that I would like are a large sunshade, reclining seat, smooth ride, and an easy fold. What do you guys recommend I look into? I'd like to keep the stroller under $200, less is better.

Thanks!

AnnieW625
05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I love my Triumph and it has been our do everything stroller for DD1 from the time she was 3 mos. old and we've always traveled with it via airline and it's been fine. We've used it on mass transit trains and busses in LA and Boston with no problems what so ever. It only has one recline position, but even for my infant she never really needed more of an incline as she was never a stroller sleeper. I personally think that the Mac Triumph is a great stroller and even though the sun shade may not be huge (you can get an aftermarket extender) I don't think that you can go wrong with it.

mrsjde
05-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Love the Triumph for traveling! The weight, straps, ability to keep rain cover in the basket and can stow it above in the overhead compartment make it the best when flying!

Sidney
05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the responses! Any others I should look at?

Any opinions on the Baby Jogger City Micro?

Oh yeah, are there any umbrella strollers that are good in the sand at the beach, or is not recommended to use one on the sand?

Katigre
05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I would recommend a Combi Cosmo over a Triumph and here is why (having traveled quite a bit with the Combi and also having had a Quest and Volo):

1. Combi is inexpensive and lightweight. It will not weigh you down and comes with a wide carry strap that is far more functional than the strap on the Maclaren's b/c of how it attaches.

2. The Combi will not tip - you can hang a diaper bag off the back handle, stuff the basket, pile stuff in front - it won't tip backwards like the Mac's will if you remove the weight from the SEAT/basket.

3. It stands upright when folded and has an umbrella fold. When traveling, this is very helpful because you won't have your regular storage spaces, so being able to stick it in the corner of a room and have it take up very little space is quite helpful.

4. It has a full recline, bumper bar, cup holder, and decent sunshade (much better than the Mac sunshade).

I would travel with the Combi over the Mac any day because of these features (even though I love my Volo as my car stroller).

Sidney
05-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks. I'll take a look at it. It sounds promising!

christiedavid3
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
We have a Silver Cross Fizz for our car/travel stroller and love it! It folds up tiny, has a great shoulder strap and comes with a rain shield. DS is very comfy in it. I think it's around 11 or 12 lbs.