PDA

View Full Version : Camping Season!

lalasmama
05-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Amnesia has taken care of many of the memories... well enough that I am considering taking a 6yo with ADHD camping again this year!

This time, I don't want to go into it blindly.... So tell me:

What tips/hints do you have for tent camping with a 6yo?

We go with a HUGE group of friends, but they don't have kids La's age. We have a large grass play area at the beach (1/3 mile walk to the beach). Bathrooms with showers are nearby! (First we complained about that, but when that "Mommy! I gotta GO NOW!" happened, it was Heaven!)

gatorsmom
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Hmm, gosh 6 yos are relatively easy to camp with. It's the babies and toddlers that are hard....

We camp but have a camper, so I dont' have much experience with tent camping. And I'm not sure where you are going camping but keeping an eye on the weather forecast is important not just for bringing the right clothes but also for having warm enough blankets. Where we camp (and we will be starting soon too), it can be upper 60's during the day but drop down to 40 degrees at night so having a sleeping bag rated for low temperatures is important.

I always bring extra clothes because they always get dirtier (and somehow wetter) than I expect. I bring extra pjs too because if they don't feel like getting up to pee in the morning, accidents do happen....

Hats help keep the ticks out of their hair and help with sunprotection. Rain jacket and rain boots will allow her to play outside in the rain, otherwise hanging out in a tent during the rain isn't so fun. Bug spray and sun screen of course. Also, I bring a container of wet wipes to easily wipe off their faces or hands. Washing hands out in the boondocks isn't always easy. Besides, wetwipes are great for lots of situations. :p

If you will be near water you could get her a beginners fishing rod to just play around with. Some other toys that she could play with in or out of the tent are a good idea just in case she doesn't feel like or can't run around outside. Flashlights for the tent at night and for late night trips to the potty.

Also, in addition to the usual food that we cook over the fire, I bring along some snacks that don't have to be cooked and can be eaten quickly for an instant pick me up. Cheese sticks, jerky sticks (these are great because they don't need to be refrigerated), cheesy crackers, trail mix, etc. And even though the adults like eggs and bacon cooked over the fire, the kids wake up hungry and want to eat NOW so i bring muffins or donut holes for them to eat so they don't have to wait for breakfast. :)

hth a little bit. have fun!