PDA

View Full Version : Fitting that cloth diaper butt?

Uno-Mom
05-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I need advice from experienced cloth diaper-ers! What brands have you found that can fit over that fluffy butt? (We use pre-folds with covers.) It's too early for DD to have skin-tight pants! :)

None of the mainstream brands work (Carters, Old Navy, Gap etc). The only well-fitting pants we've found were 2nd hand Hanna Andersson & Zutano. The girl at the consignment store confirmed that most USA brands are sized for disposables.

Note: I mostly only shop at consignment & Goodwill-type stores for baby clothes - can't really get my head around the prices for new. Besides, I like the quirky stuff we find in this town. So, so far it's been the luck of the draw except for gifts. If I knew a brand would fit, I'd feel better about the expense!

AnnieW625
05-12-2010, 01:19 AM
highly recommend Ebay for Hanna Andersson.

smcdonald2
05-12-2010, 08:00 AM
I know this is the right forum (clothes) but may try asking over in the Butts! forum! Lots of cloth diaper-ers over there.

chottumommy
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
We cloth diaper and use either prefolds or flats with a cover. I struggled to find things that fit over the cloth and then just switched to wool - interlock mostly. I have about 3 pairs for summer(broad shorts) and 4 pairs(longies) for winter and they work amazingly well. Fit well and fit for a long time

My son gets about 2 seasons from his wool and all in all I think they worked out about the same cost. I bought most of my wool from Crunchy Coop when they run coops with WAHMs who make interlock wool.

Uno-Mom
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
All the wool in my life has made me itchy. But that's probably rough wool socks and sweaters made for grownups. Are the wool products made for babies different?

chottumommy
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Wool itches not because of the wool itself but because it is stripped of lanolin (natural sheep oil) from it when washing. To keep my wool soft and waterproof, I use a wool wash with lanolin.

I thought of wool as being itchy too till I washed my wool in lanolin. Even my sweaters get so soft and silky when washed with a wool wash with a little lanolin.

This is the same lanolin that you put on your nipples when breastfeeding.

I buy this wool wash

http://hyenacart.com/EweNeedIt/

and to see the beauty of wool
http://sloomb.myshopify.com/

maiaann
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Hanna is good and I found Carters to be hit or miss. Most of my kids' wardrobe is Hanna, TCP, and Carters. Soft pants seem to best - I avoid jeans at all costs! Summer is nearing so you will be able to easily resort to dresses and rompers which work well. (Don't hesitate to size up on rompers - otherwise they may be hard to snap!)

maestramommy
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I find Carters pants work well. They're the kind that look a little like HA wiggle pants. Actually they're the only ones I have that DON'T look tight over prefold and cover. I have some gymbo pants that also fit, but they look more fitted.

MamaMolly
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd also suggest joining the BBB swap yahoo group when you can (I think there may be a certain number of posts you have to make here before you can join but I could be wrong on that...) anyway I've had GREAT luck buying used Hanna on the Swap. I've found that the BBB mamas are pretty conservative about judging the condition of used clothes, so several things I bought in GUC were EUC to me! LOL :) HTH

♥ms.pacman♥
05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
DS wears mostly Carters and it's not a problem (we use prefolds + covers). we go up a size though.also he mostly wears just onesies. my DS is 4 months and fits pretty well in carters 6mo and 9 mo size clothes.

Uno-Mom
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Guess Carter's must vary. Or babies do. :) I know they make clothes for lots of different retailers, so maybe there are different cuts. It just occured to me that capris are probably coming out, and that would make buying up a size work better.

Today is our first 70 temp of spring, so DD is living in thirsties cover + tshirt. This will probably be our summer uniform. I think the covers are pretty cute as a fashion statement, actually.

Thanks all. Now I'm curious about wool. Maybe I'll search some out on Craig's list. Are the brands sold at GMD good ones? That's the only place I've noticed wool sold so far. Not that I've really looked.

MamaMolly
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Over on DiaperSwappers I read that several mamas take onezies and just cut the bottom off to make t-shirts. You can surge the edge if you have a machine. So you wouldn't have to get rid of cute stuff just 'cause it wasn't fitting over the fluff.

Right now DD2 is living in zipper jammies. I think it will be mostly dresses and stretchy knit pants as she gets bigger though.

chottumommy
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Lots of WAHMs at diaperswappers make wool. Disana is very well know brand for wool. They make leggings which are super cute and very very stretchy.

I know a WAHM http://hyenacart.com/bellaroseinspirations
who makes leggins out of interlock wool and these would look very nice under some dresses. Other than that SBish, Wild Child Woolies are pretty good.

jeno
05-13-2010, 11:18 PM
xxxxxxx