PDA

View Full Version : If the office door is closed and no one answers when you knock...

wendibird22
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Then they either aren't in or aren't available. You do not need to bang repeatedly and jiggle the door handle to see if the door is unlocked!!

Who taught or failed to teach these college students any manners?!

I have a private office that has no window out to the hallway. I pump 3x's a day in my office. I close the door and thankfully it has a chain lock (like in an apartment) which I've learned (after someone got a key and walked in on me pumping OMG) to use. I pump at my desk. It never fails that at least once a day a student comes to my office and knocks on the door repeatedly and then attempts to open the door while I'm pumping. I know the door is locked from the outside and that the chain is just added safety measure to protect my modesty but I still freak out every single time. Today the person kept at it so much that I actually stopped pumping, shoved everything under my desk and quickly covered up because I thought for sure my office door was about to fly open. Of course in that process about 1/2 an ounce of precious BM spilled on the floor.

I don't work in the health center or the campus police station so anything a student is coming to see me for is absolutely not life or death. I just don't get why they feel the need to try and open my door.

MamaMolly
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Why not put a sticky note up with 'back in 10 min' on the door? That might help!

arivecchi
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
When I was pumping at work, I would post a sign at my door that said DO NOT KNOCK OR OPEN DOOR in addition to locking my door.

longtallsally05
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
You are right; it is wrong to do that to you. Just my $0.02, you MIGHT be able to decrease their rude behavior if you make absolutely certain you're available to students during your office hours and via e-mail (maybe post the info on your office door as well as in the syllabus). If that doesn't work, I'm sorry. I must confess I've gone looking for a prof who was HIDING from me. My prof did not provide feedback on assignments in a timely fashion (ie before the next assignment was due), did not answer e-mails regarding assignments and did not answer her door during office hours. Every student in the class that I knew also had the same problems contacting our prof. It was supposed to be an online Master's class with e-mail and office hour support from the prof, but no one ever laid eyes on her. I jiggled the door on her office as a last resort, as I knew she was in there (I could here her shuffling papers) and I really needed some feedback on an assignment right away. Yes, it was wrong. No, it didn't work. I got a B anyway. Good luck (and good for you & your baby for being so dedicated)!

ewpmsw
05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
That's so rude. Spilled pumped milk is worth crying over, IMO. :) I recall a number of instructors taking a very direct approach to manners and boundaries by telling our classes exactly what was/was not acceptable, and always starting the discussion with something along the lines of, "It's a shame I have to even say this, but..." Could you take a direct approach and make it clear that you are absolutely not available when your door is closed? I hate to say it, but people probaby need a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign to remind them. GL!

cvanbrunt
05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I feel your pain. When I was pregnant I would nap on the couch in my office. Door closed, locked, lights out, Do Not Disturb sign at eye level. You'd think that would do the trick, but no. Students would still knock, jiggle the handle, call from the hallway, etc. I finally put up a sign that said "Pregnant Professor Sleeping. If you are knocking, you'd better be bleeding." That seemed to do the trick.

boolady
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Who taught or failed to teach these college students any manners?!

Perhaps the same person who failed to teach my 30, 40, 50 and 60-year old attorney co-workers the same thing. Even now that pumping's not an issue, they will still bang on my door or jiggle the handle when it's shut. Um, maybe, just maybe, it's closed and locked because I don't want you to come in at this second?

lizzywednesday
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
...I finally put up a sign that said "Pregnant Professor Sleeping. If you are knocking, you'd better be bleeding." That seemed to do the trick.

:hysterical: BRILLIANT!

srhs
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
How about a sign that says, "Do Not Disturb" with another underneath it saying "Video Surveillance in Progress"

infomama
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Enlarge, print this out and stick it on the door...
http://www.mysavings.com/img/link/large/6030.jpg

Minnifer
05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
My favorite is my boss who knocks and opens simultaneously - doesn't even wait to see if I will say "come in." Unbelievably rude - doesn't seem to occur to her that the door could be shut for a reason.

gatorsmom
05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't work in the health center or the campus police station so anything a student is coming to see me for is absolutely not life or death. I just don't get why they feel the need to try and open my door.

Because at that age, even the silly things are life and death.

I'm sorry you spilled that breastmilk. Pumping is hard work. :(

elizabethkott
05-12-2010, 07:19 PM
"Please do not disturb.
My boobs are out.
Thanks."

Although with college boys, this might not be the best approach.

TwinFoxes
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
"Pregnant Professor Sleeping. If you are knocking, you'd better be bleeding." That seemed to do the trick.

After my C-section, which started at 2am (after they saw a little hand sticking out at 1am) I was in the maternity ward trying to sleep after being up all night and all morning. My nurse put a "do not disturb" sign on my door. Someone pounded on it, I was so scared it was something scary about my girls, and so I called "who is it?? (I couldn't have gotten up if I wanted to). "We need your meal selection for tomorrow!" I said, isn't there a sign that says do not disturb??? "Yeah, but I'm with food service, and if I don't get your selection, I'll have to just give you the generic choice." WTF????? I complained long and hard to my nurse, who was appalled, and I know ratted out the food service person. That was REDICulous.

Regardless, op, I think a sign is an excellent idea.

neeleymartin
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
When I was pumping at work, I would post a sign at my door that said DO NOT KNOCK OR OPEN DOOR in addition to locking my door.

the social worker at my school does this. unfortunately, the district has recently hired a cleaning company. most of the empolyees are brazilian and speak VERY limited english. picture it, door locked with sign, custodian (2x) has used key to gain entry and empty the trash!!! i would say that he is a perv, but two different guys. both very cute, i might add. how embarassing?!?!

Andi98989
05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't have a lock, but I have a door. My boss actually knocked on my door and as he opened it says "I'm ignoring your note ..." - you know, the one that says Do Not Disturb.

It happened enough times that I gave up on the note and just shut the door. Whoever is coming in is going to come in. I wear a big wrap cardigan and it covers up all my parts, etc... I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with the senior partner at our firm while I'm pumping. I don't think he's had a clue! :hysterical:

wendibird22
05-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with door jigglers.

I've posted a sign but unfortunately they don't read. I have a dry erase board and usually write "back in 15mins." When I was on maternity leave there was a big, neon pink sign on my door that said I was on leave, indicated what day I was returning, and where to go for assistance. Daily, students knocked on my colleague's door next door and asked her if she knew where I was and if I'd be back that day. What?!

I don't teach so I don't have a forum for establishing office hours. I do encourage students to contact me to schedule an appointment but many just drop in.

And yeah, a sign about frontal nudity would likely cause a large mob of college boys to bust that door down! :D Although they'd be disappointed to see these saggy baggy boobs!

DrSally
05-12-2010, 09:31 PM
How annoying! Can you make a special sign?

squimp
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Unbelievable! I'm sorry I can't believe your students are so rude. I just can't. I used to completely put my professors on a pedestal and never expected them to do anything outside of class hours. We didn't have office hours, we didn't have test preparation sessions. We didn't expect to know ahead of the time what was on the test, and we didn't get back at our professors on those "rate my professor" websites. I must be getting old because I believe so many of the students of today suffer from incomprehensible entitlement.

salsah
05-13-2010, 01:56 AM
this is just another example of the loss of manners in our society. while a note is a good idea, i'm surprised/upset that you even need it (unless you don't even want to hear knocking), or a lock for that matter. i thought that the rules are simple, clear, widely accepted, well known: if the door (to someone's personal space) is closed, then knock. if no one answers, then walk away.

i'm sorry you have to deal with that.

newg
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
How about ...... "Expressing Breast Milk For My Baby, Please Come Back"

At home I have to put a piece of paper over the doorbell and then a huge sign right at knocking height to get people to not knock or ring while I or DD are sleeping.

Could you tape something over the handle so they can't grab it.....and then possibly, along with your sign, it will deter students??

deborah_r
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM

I agree with this. Yes, you shouldn't have to, but since it keeps happening I would do it. I know when I was pumping any hint that someone might be near the door would destroy my pumping session.

ETA: read more of this thread and now think only red "Bio-Hazard" tape in an "X" across the whole doorway might do the trick. I can't believe they are all so clueless.