PDA

View Full Version : 10hr flight with 1yo...he'll be on our laps :/

cojomo
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
help...we booked a trip to hawaii and will be leaving in a couple weeks. unfortunately, we booked when DS was about 8mos and did not expect him to be as active as he is now. so we didnt buy him a seat because of this (and also to save money). now, not sure how we'll handle this 10 hour flight. im praying that the plane ride will be a breeze and he'll sleep during most of it (yeah right!) now that you have the background.. here are some ques:

1) flying continental airlines - can we gate check both a car seat and a stroller? im hoping there is a vacant seat so I can switch and DS can use his carseat. (although i checked the status and flt seems to be full)

2) if i cant bring both, shall i baggage check stroller or carseat? which is less likely to get damaged

3) im dreading how we will feed him and how we'll get him to nap. any suggestions on how to do this in tight quarters?

TIA and help will be appreciated.

HIU8
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
You can gate check your stroller and carseat. That is what I would do so you have use of the stroller in the airport etc... and you have your carseat with you in-case there is a vacant seat your DS can use.

I can't answer the feeding/napping. DS didn't go on a plane until he was 21 months old so no bottles to deal with. DD was 14 months on her first flight as well, so she ate what I packed while sitting in her own carseat. I haven't ever done a lap baby. I've only had DD and DS in their carseats on the plane. I can't imagine having them sit on my lap for even 2 hours.

DrSally
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
You can gate check your stroller and carseat. That is what I would do so you have use of the stroller in the airport etc... and you have your carseat with you in-case there is a vacant seat your DS can use.

:yeahthat: Honestly, 10 hours with a lap baby that age is going to be tough. One time we got a bulkhead, and DS had enough room to walk around in front of our legs before take off. That was nice. But, I believe they make you put the carseat next to the window, so there's no way you could have a bulkhead. For some reason, they didn't make us put him by the window on that flight. The only way I could get an older baby to fall asleep on a flight was to nurse.

salsah
05-13-2010, 02:57 AM
i have heard people recommend that you book your seats with one seat in between you and your dh. chances are, if there are vacant seats on the plane, it will be the one between you and your dh (because only someone traveling alone would take it and most people would rather an isle or window). and if it isn't, the person in the middle will likely be happy to switch seats with one of you so that you two can be next to each other (and that person can have the isle/window).

i wouldn't stress it to much. it's not too bad. when we traveled internationally with dd1 at 20 months, we got a seat for her (despite the cost) because it was a long flight and we thought that we would be more comfortable with the extra space. she ended up sitting on my lap almost the entire time!

emily
05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Like PP said, try to book your seats separately with the middle seat open. You may luck out.

We've done lap with DD twice. First time at 5 mo, second at about 18 mo. But both were only about 3-4 hour flights. She slept most of the time. Take along a carrier. Hopefully your DC likes them. I've found that to be the most comfortable and soothing for DD and me. Just front carry DC. With tummy nice and warm and the plane's white noise, DD usually fell asleep at take off and woke up right before landing. Nursing also helps.

Good luck.

wellyes
05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
It'll be a loooooong 10 hours but it'll be fine.

Be sure to ask if there are any open seats when you board, I've had flight attendants ask other people to shuffle around to give a lap baby a seat (only if there are unsold seats on the plane). It would make a big difference, including for the people around the baby.

If you have an Ergo, it can help to wear the baby for part of the flight - the warmth and being close to you helps with napping.

Bring lots of snacks, some crayons, a weak flashlight. If you have an iphone or laptop to play movies.... I do break the "no tv for kids under 2" rule for flights. Won't watch more than 30 minute, likely, but even that much break will do a lot of good for your own mental health. It's worth it.

Swirvin
05-18-2010, 04:42 AM
When it is time for the meal service, ask a flight attendant if they could serve your meal first and then bring your dh's after you are done and they collect your tray. It is so much easier to have one free lap/tray than fighting with a baby to keep them from pulling food off of your tray (some of the items can be super hot as well).

jtannerchs
05-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Those are all good tips above.

We have traveled a lot with DD. Many of these were 11+ hour plane rides and she was always a lap baby.

We have done the 11+ hour trips when she was 3 mos, 14 mos, and 18 mos.

The best thing is to remember that it is only 1 day (ok 2 days because you have to return) of your life that will, um, be difficult. Then it is over, so try not to stress too much over it.

I wanted to say that the only time we were allowed to bring both stroller and car seat to the gate was when she was 3 months and we had one of those graco car seat stroller frame thingamagigs. We were only allowed to bring a car seat, or a stroller on all later flights to the gate.

I would suggest bringing the stroller if you have to choose, and checking the car seat. I think the stroller is better because you can hang your diaper bag on it and your child can nap in it during the wait at the gate if it is nap time. Also, all of the long flights I've been on have been full - never a chance to use the car seat anyway. I also suggest having your ergo (or similar) with you. You can more easily get DS onto the plane while maneuvering luggage, etc with free hands. Plus, it can help to get them sleepy if you walk the aisles of the plane with them in it.

As far as feeding, is he on milk now? You can get those Horizon shelf stable milks and security will allow you to bring those on. Just let them know in the security line that you have food for your baby and they will likely make you take it out of your bag and will inspect it. All the planes we've been on have had milk, but I wouldn't count on them having any food or milk for DS as a rule. You don't want to be on an 11 hour flight with no food! Just bring whatever he usually likes to eat, and if that is a mess, then opt for more travel friendly stuff...puffs, freeze dried fruit, crackers, cheese sticks, etc.

Also be prepared for delays. Bring a little bit extra of what you think you need in terms of food and diapers. It is brutal to get delayed when the flight is already 11 hours, but it happens more often than not.

DD always just slept across my and DH's lap. Not comfy, but you probably won't get a chance to sleep anyway...not when you have a 1 year old. Plus, the bulkhead seats are great because they can sit at your feet and play.

GL!!! and have fun!

mrshalco
05-19-2010, 07:58 AM
We are doing a trip from Boston to Hawaii in June - with a 6 year old and a 17 month old lap baby! It was going to cost us an additional $1,000 for his seat....so we decided to take our chances! I'll be watching this thread for ideas and suggestions!

ha98ed14
05-23-2010, 01:14 PM
If it were me, I would go back and buy him a seat. I actually did this with my DD. We had not bought her a seat and then a few days later realized we needed to. Call the airline and ask to purchase a seat and have his reservation linked to yours. It should work out alright. They did assign our DD a separate seat, but it was in the computer than she was an infant traveling with her parents, they moved her no problem. For a flight that long, you are going to want some place to put him.

connor_mommy
05-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Have your DH hold him while you feed him the solids. TSA allows you to bring formula and yogurt for the baby. You can bring a cooler bag and ask for ice from one of the vendors once you pass security. Just bring extra snacks, like Cheerios, Gerber veggie/fruit puffs, dehydrated fruit and whatever your child likes to snack on. If he is on formula, just make sure you have extra in case of a delay.

Don't worry about the napping. It's something about the humming sound on the plane that gets the baby to sleep. If you do have a carrier, use it. It'll definetly help save your arms from falling asleep and also you can do other things. It'll be easier than you think once you're doing it. Good luck and have a great time on your vacation.

Btw...when we travelled with DS to Hawaii when he was 18 months old, we were able to get a discount on his ticket. So, you could try that and see how much it'll cost you to have a seat for him and not worry about getting lucky with an empty seat.

pharmjenn
05-24-2010, 04:38 AM
I have never had a problem bringing both carseat and stroller to the gate. I have also brought bottles and sippy cups of milk through security. Just take them out and let security know. I also had freezer packs without problem, just take them out of the cooler also to be sure.
As for a 1yr lap child; you can do it. He will want to be moving around, so if he is walking, be prepared to walk up and down the aisles with him, so put some shoes on him, or bring multiple pairs of socks since those carpets are nasty.
I carry extra sets of earplugs to offer to those in the seats near me if my DS is crying, but thankfully have never had to use them.
Do airlines even serve free meals anymore? I haven't taken a flight longer than 5hrs and only had food for sale, so you may want to check with Continental about that. Either way, bring tons of food for your DS, that is one way to keep him content.

jaxs135
05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but make sure to pack an extra shirt/top/layering piece for yourself... in case you get a mega spit-up or throw up on you. :) I stumbled across that tip while reading through one of the BB posts, and I'm glad I did.... my normally non-spitty-uppy DD lost half her lunch, and most of a six ounce bottle, mid-flight... and it was all over me. Luckily, I packed an extra t-shirt for myself in her diaper bag!

Oh, and another tip (really more like a joke, lol!): a friend told me to offer to buy a drink for all the people seated immediately around me... kinda' broke the ice, that "yep, I have a baby on this flight, but get over it people... cheers!" (I did not actually buy anyone a drink, but I did joke about it on one of our first flights... it made some of the other passengers laugh!)