PDA

View Full Version : Need larger play area for 6mo.

becca_g
05-12-2010, 11:44 PM
DS is rolling around quite a bit and no longer stays on his play gym.

We're looking for a larger, contained play yard for our family room now that he's becoming more mobile.

We also need some type of mat/rug since we have hardwood floors, but it can't be larger than the play area since our dog likes to pee on any surface that isn't tile or wood.

Considering something like this Playzone (http://www.amazon.com/Friendly-Toys-Little-Playzone-Sounds/dp/B00021NX9C/ref=pd_sbs_t_1) with a tile mat (http://www.amazon.com/Uppercase-We-Sell-Mats-Puzzle-Each/dp/B0012YMWO0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_c) like this.

Here's another similar play yard: Versatile Play Pen (http://www.amazon.com/Versatile-Play-Pen-Small-Pieces/dp/B000XRUG22/ref=pd_sbs_t_3).

Also saw this KidCo PlayDen/Denim Pad (http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-PlayDen-with-Denim-Pad/dp/B000F1MC5K/ref=pd_sbs_t_38) as well as various other wood and neutral plastic play yards.

What play yard and/or mat have you tried and liked or disliked? Any feedback much appreciated!

sariana
05-13-2010, 12:24 AM
We have the North States Metal 3-in-1 Superyard. We have it mounted on each end to block our fireplace, but we have used it freestanding at my ILs' house. It is very sturdy and versatile. You may find that you need a more traditional mounted gate system in the future, and this one could fit the bill.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2963260

I don't know about something for the floor. Since the Superyard makes a hexagon (or octagon if you get the extension kit), it might be difficult to find something that fits on the floor. Although, JCPenney sells washable rugs, some of which come in 4' octagons.

example: http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=16fe73b&Nao=0&hdnOnGo=true&Ne=4+6+1031+8+18+904+949+833&Ntt=octagon+rug&SearchString=octagon+rug&N=4294959029&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

lhafer
05-13-2010, 12:58 AM
We had one like the Playzone one, and my daughter LOVED it! I liked it because I could configure the shape, make it smaller or larger, etc. It held up very well too. We used it both inside and outside (in the yard, etc). Definitely worth it IMO. The Kidco one looks like a jail to me! So very boring! I mean you want to keep them wrangled in, but it doesn't have to look like it!! I prefer the bright colors, and the panel with stuff to do.

Piglet
05-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Can you just baby proof? You will need to do it soon enough anyway. I just find these things so limited in their use - kids want out soon enough and then you are left with a huge thing to store. The other thing I find is that since they aren't portable you are really stuck with one room to play in. My kids wanted to follow me around the house, so I had a kid space in the kitchen, in the family room, in the living room, etc. Sure my house looked like an ad for a toy store, but it was so much easier than trying to get work done while the kids were doing something in another room (they protested quite loudly, LOL!).

emily
05-13-2010, 06:56 AM
I agree. containment only lasts so long. We just babyproofed our family room and kitchen.

JBaxter
05-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Can you just baby proof? You will need to do it soon enough anyway. I just find these things so limited in their use - kids want out soon enough and then you are left with a huge thing to store. The other thing I find is that since they aren't portable you are really stuck with one room to play in. My kids wanted to follow me around the house, so I had a kid space in the kitchen, in the family room, in the living room, etc. Sure my house looked like an ad for a toy store, but it was so much easier than trying to get work done while the kids were doing something in another room (they protested quite loudly, LOL!).

This was my 4 also. Mine would just cry if I put them in some type of a pen like that. We just baby proofed 36inches down ( till the next phase)

KrisM
05-13-2010, 07:38 AM

I agree. Having a containment place for short times - you're in the shower, you're opening the oven door, etc is one thing. But, rolling turns into crawling and soon there will be walking. You'll need to baby proof an area anyway. In our old house, we totally babyproofed the living room and then gated that from the rest of the house. If I had to run to do laundry, I knew he was safe there.

In our current house, we baby proofed the entire 1st floor. When DS2 was born, it wasn't totally possible to baby proof everything because we had a 4 year old. I did use a playpen for him when I needed to. But even that is gone now.

Spending a lot of money on containing him for a short time might not make the most sense.

wendibird22
05-13-2010, 07:38 AM
We used a plastic superyard for a while to keep the dog from running over the baby. We used ring a links to hang a bunch of toys off the side. I liked that it folded up well and we light. We even took it on vacation to help baby proof a hotel room. No personal experience but I know a lot of people like the rubber tiles that puzzle together for the floor. You can then pack them up and take them with places too.

becca_g
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

The main issue we're having right now is DS rolling around and hitting his head on the hardwood floor since he no longer stays on his play gym. A large mat/rug would help, but it has to be enclosed so our dog won't pee on it (she's terrible with anything that isn't a solid surface).

We're also definitely planning to baby proof the 1st floor and gate off certain rooms, the stairs, etc. fairly soon.

Tondi G
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I would get a rug for the floor, baby proof one room, get a baby gate for the doorway and keep the dog out!

o_mom
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
We had a Superyard XT. If you search, there is a detailed comparison I wrote on SY vs. the Playzone. We liked the SY much better.

ETA: Here's the comparison I wrote two years ago: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2147676&postcount=6

Piglet
05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

The main issue we're having right now is DS rolling around and hitting his head on the hardwood floor since he no longer stays on his play gym. A large mat/rug would help, but it has to be enclosed so our dog won't pee on it (she's terrible with anything that isn't a solid surface).

We're also definitely planning to baby proof the 1st floor and gate off certain rooms, the stairs, etc. fairly soon.

We have hardwood throughout - the kids outgrew the head bonking stage pretty early, and there will be lots mroe scrapes and bumps as they learn to crawl and walk. I really woulnd't worry about it as he will move ontop the next stage soon. In the meantime, you can put down a quilt or a picnic blanket on the floor.

maestramommy
05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
We have a Superyard. Although we don't use it for a contained area, I've seen it done. I think you get a large hexagonal area. We also have some rubber alphabet tiles that I think we got at TRU when Dora was a baby. However, some parents have gotten large rubber tiles (plain) from Costco. I like those much better and wished I had known about them before I bought the alphabet tiles.

becca_g
05-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks, everyone!

We ended up purchasing a Superyard XT (15% off) and extension set (50% off) at TRU. It's working great for our purposes.

Realized we can use it outside for our Maltese dogs once DS outgrows it. The dogs' crates are in the family room (they love to hang out in them), so unfortunately we wouldn't have been able to gate off that room.

vonfirmath
05-22-2010, 04:52 PM
We used the Superyard. Was nice for taking to church/other uses as well. To use with furniture for blocking off entire rooms, etc.