PDA

View Full Version : Pants that actually fit?

lmintzer
05-13-2010, 08:49 AM
This is a combination b*tch and request for ideas. I have SUCH trouble finding pants that fit well. That goes for jeans or any other pants.

I don't think my size is so unusual. But still. No luck.

I am 5'2". So length is an issue. I'm a size 6. My thighs are not thin for my size/weight, so a lot of the really narrow cut pants don't work. While we're on that, "baby got back" too. : ) Yep, I definitely have curves to try to fit into pants. My waist is fairly small, so I often have trouble with gaping at the back.

And to make things more complicated, I HATE really low rise pants. I just can't stand how they feel. They turn a tiny little leftover "baby belly" into muffin top. I want to be able to bend over without worrying about who I'm showing what. This trend in pants is just plain annoying!

Mid-rise is perfectly fine. Just no low rise.

Any ideas? Does anyone else find this very hard?

Andi98989
05-13-2010, 09:11 AM
As contrary as it sounds, I would avoid petite pants because they are going to be cut narrower all the way around, and it sounds like that would be a problem for you in the thigh area.

I'm 5'4" and around an 8; I have good luck with the Apt 9 pants at Kohls for work. Nice wide straight leg, mid-rise.

wellyes
05-13-2010, 09:12 AM
This may sound wacky but.... men's Levi relaxed fit jeans might work for you. That's what DH wears and he is fit, but shaped kinda like you. The glory of men's jeans is that don't have "sizes", just waist and leg measurements. Oh how I wish women's were the same way.

ltmommy
05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I have a similar body type. I am 5' so length is even trickier, and I was an 8 for the longest time but have *finally* managed to lose the baby weight and then some by running and shredding. But I still am much curvier on bottom than on top.

The ONLY pants I can seem to find to fit me are: Ann Taylor Loft petite Julie style, Banana Republic petite Jackson fit, and JAG jeans at Nordstrom. I have also had some luck with Lucky jeans in the Easy Rider style, although sometimes those are cut really low. I have also tried the Not Your Daughters Jeans brand at Nordstrom and found them a little too high cut for my taste - they make me feel like I am wearing mom jeans - but you may like them if you are really frustrated with the lower cut.

I have also had some luck at Kohls in the petite section - especially their Lee jeans. These I have found to be cut for a curvier body and nice short lengths.

One more thing, you might try just having the waistband taken in by a tailor - that sometimes solves the gaping at the waist issue, the low cut issue AND the length issue (the pants are shorter when they are pulled up higher).

luckytwenty
05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Ann Taylor (Loft, I think) has a "curvy" section. You can be a "curvy 6," which means more room in the thighs/hips. Love their curvy jeans.

luza
05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Also try Tommy Hilfiger's Hope boot cut jeans in the short./A sizes (mid-rise, with decent room in the thighs, and something like a 30" inseam), and Banana Republic 718 cut pants (slightly below mid-rise, also with decent room in the thighs). I've found the jeans at Filene's and other discount for $20-25; BR is pricier but often has sales.

lmintzer
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Some BR pants have fit me. In fact, my favorite jeans are the Urban Bootcut petites (now discontinued, sniff, sniff).

Ann Taylor petites used to fit me--before they went and changed all of their fits.

I don't mean to say that I want a real high rise jean. I still like them below my belly button by a bit. I just prefer they come up a little higher in the back and don't squeeze tightly around the waist.

I think I've tried a Lucky in the style that's just a little tighter than the Easy Rider--can't remember it offhand. They were a pretty good fit but not fabulous.

I feel like I can look fabulous and slender in a dress. Just when I start with pants, not so much.

wendibird22
05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I have your exact body type. If I get a pair of pants to fit my rear and thighs I could fit a second person in the waist! And I'm also 5'2". I 2nd the Julie fit at ATL and I also have luck with the Eddie Bauer Blakely fit (they used to advertise these as being one size smaller in the waist than the thigh).

I just bought a pair of cute capris from ATL that are the Julie fit and they are perfect and I own a pair of Blakely fit jeans from EB.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/Pants-by-Fit/index.cat

DebbieJ
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
sounds like you need to find a good tailor. You'll probably need to find pants that fit in the rear and thigh and then get them taken in at the waist.

garnetgirl
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
If you want a fantastic pair of jeans, you might have luck with Joe's jeans in the "Honey" model. I have similar fit issues as yours, and these are the best fit in jeans or pants I have ever found. They're expensive, but they're so flattering and comfortable, and if you're a stable size, you'd get a lot of use out of them. I got mine at Nordstrom, and they hemmed them for free (maybe only if you buy full price).

crl
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Try Eddie bauer's curvy fit (forget the name) in short rather than petite.

Catherine