PDA

View Full Version : Are pricey bike trailers worth the expense?

123LuckyMom
05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm looking for a bike trailer for my 18 month old so my husband and I can take him biking, primarily on a paved rail trail. Do I really need a Burley or Chariot? What makes the expensive trailers better? Will my little guy be much more comfortable or safe in a pricey trailer? Is it worth it? What do you think?

wellyes
05-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I have what I think is a no-name ("Rhode Gear?") trailer that I got off of Craigslist. I have used it both on paved rail trail & on the road, no problems. I wouldn't use it for a young infant but 12 mo+ it's fine.

LBW
05-13-2010, 10:33 AM
We have a "pricey" trailer, but we didn't pay a lot for it b/c I found it on Craigslist. Something to keep in mind is that Burley-type trailers hold their value quite well, so you can recoup much of their cost when your child outgrows it. I know we'll be able to sell our trailer in a few years for what we paid - if not a bit more!

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
a friend hates her cheap one b/c it flips easily and is rusty. We have a new one (actually would like an 08 or newer b/c of the recline) from 07 I believe, and it has lots of safety things the others don't have. We also use the back compartment to take bags to the beach - and we add the front jogger wheel. You can add stuff to the more $$$ ones to get more use out of them. The d'lite can be for one or two children.

mumofboys
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I have a pricey one and love it.

How often would your DH cycle with your LO? and for how long? If he is only going 10 miles down the local MUP once a week, I'm not sure if it is worth pouring a ton of money into an expensive carrier (although, as a PP noted, they do hold much of their value when it comes to resale). But if he is cycling five times a week for 1-2 hours a pop ... I would think that a safe, comfortable baby would be worth the price.

BeachBum
05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
We have a new but inexpensive bike trailer. While I think it is 'safe' and it is sturdy, easy to attach etc. We are not avid bikers...We are just doing family rides 1 or 2x a month.
But...
my children hate it. I think the specific problem is that they can't relax/ lean their heads back with their helmet on. I read that the expensive ones have a "cut out" for the helmet to recess into so you don't have this problem.

I looked for about 6 mo on my CL and never found a burley or chariot for sale.

MamaKath
05-30-2010, 07:05 PM
But...
my children hate it. I think the specific problem is that they can't relax/ lean their heads back with their helmet on. I read that the expensive ones have a "cut out" for the helmet to recess into so you don't have this problem.
This is what we found with bike trailers and joggers. We never found a deal either and decided we didn't bike enough to make it worth it for a $$$ one. :(

MontrealMum
05-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about safety as much with a cheaper trailer, but what you're paying for with the pricier ones are:
-ease of use (for the adult who has to set it up)
-comfort of ride (better for napping, smoother ride, potentially better sunshade, nicer harness
-a product that keeps its value for resale

Some of the less expensive ones (no, I don't know which ones specifically) can tip if the adult bike tips over. Burleys and Chariots are on a hitch that's designed not to.

None of that is necessary, but those are some of the differences that I've noticed.