PDA

View Full Version : one and only double AT stroller - indie twin or BJCED?

dukie41181
05-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Which would you choose for a one and only double? Why? Want to make a decision very soon to take advantage of the sales!

arivecchi
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
BJCED: fold, huge canopies, tall seatbacks. :thumbsup:

jacksmoma
05-13-2010, 11:47 AM
indie- bjced is 48 lbs, need i say more?

dukie41181
05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I guess I should add that we don't use the stroller every single day in the car but will be taking it whenever we leave the house for more than a grocery trip. We do take neighborhood walks and go to the park. Occassional trips to the zoo of course. We don't use it as much as others may as we live in a suburbanish area rather than a big city.

arivecchi
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
The only drawback of the BJCED is its weight when lifting it to a car. However, IMO, it is totally doable if you only put it in your car occasionally. You do not feel the weight when pushing it as long as your tires are filled properly. I like the Indie too, but just don't think it would last as long as the BJCED (height-wise) and I don't like the fold. By way of example, DS1 (41 inches tall) barely fits in an Indie, but still has room until he hits the canopy in the BJCCD and he can completely stretch his legs. He is even able to sleep fully extended in our BJCCD with the seat fully reclined. Doubles are pricey, so I wanted one that would last.

I actually use a tip from jacksmomma to load my BJCCD in my trunk. You place the back handle on the trunk, pull on the strap that folds the stroller and rotate the stroller into the trunk with the trunk bearing the weight of the handle. I am also able to lift if if necessary and I am small boned and weigh 125 pounds. HTH. GL!

jacksmoma
05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
i had the bjced as my only double and it was too much- love the bjcmd now as my only double. i live in suburbs too (so. cal) and only use it maybe once or twice a week- it folds up SO tiny to store in my small gargage which the elite did not. just depends. i'm just over the huge air tire strollers right now as i've already done it!

Eris1995
05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
indie- bjced is 48 lbs, need i say more?

:yeahthat: I'm planning on getting the indie as my only double.

newg
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm planning on getting the indie double too........as my only double.

georgiegirl
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I was having this same dilemma, but I went with the BJCED because DD is 4 years old and 40" tall. I don't think that she'd be able to fit into the indie twin comfortably for much longer. I actually just ordered the BJCED yesterday (the $429 deal from albeebaby). I don't plan on bringing it to the mall or anything (DD is old enough to walk there), but I will bring it to the zoo and amusement park (and any other outdoor place we plan to spend a long time at.)

The weight is the only problem I see. I was thinking about the BJCMD but it is small and it doesn't push nearly as well on bumpy surfaces.

arivecchi
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I was having this same dilemma, but I went with the BJCED because DD is 4 years old and 40" tall. Right, people with kiddos over 3 will find this to be the deciding factor. My now 3.5 yo was about 39 or 40 inches at 2.5 yo. He outgrew many strollers at that point.

georgiegirl
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Right, people with kiddos over 3 will find this to be the deciding factor. My now 3.5 yo was about 39 or 40 inches at 2.5 yo. He outgrew many strollers at that point.

Actually it was all of your advice on all-terrain doubles is what convinced me I needed the BJCED (or the valco twin trimode....but that was over $200 more). DD is petite for a 4 year old, but she's still 40" and growing taller by the day.

arivecchi
05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Actually it was all of your advice on all-terrain doubles is what convinced me I needed the BJCED (or the valco twin trimode....but that was over $200 more). DD is petite for a 4 year old, but she's still 40" and growing taller by the day. Glad I could help! I initially bought another stroller and DS1 looked ridiculous in it. His head was completely in front of the canopy. Then I came here and everyone suggested the Baby Jogger doubles. I got one a voila, perfect for DS1! I love my BJCCD and am so glad I did not spend a chunk of change in a stroller he would have outgrown easily. I like that he can still sleep in it fully reclined and with his canopy down, it's like he is sleeping in a cave. :rotflmao:

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I've been using my BJCED as my all-the-time double xcept for a short while when very pg with #3. I keep it in my car, so it only ever comes out when we use it elsewhere. I find that in the neighborhood, our bigger (as in 2 and 3yos) will often ride scooters or balance bikes instead of riding in the stroller.

My upper body strength is totally lacking, but it isn't a problem to get the BJCED in/out of my van 2-4x/week (sometimes 6x/ in a day). I would be the first to complain and find a new solution if it was an issue. jacksmoma feels differently, though, so you have to decide what's important to your family. Headroom, adjust. handlebar, amazing canopies, compact fold, and air tires were our deciding factors. We've been using it for 2.5 years and will likely use it for probably that long again for the zoo and such, once we've outgrown the need for it daily.

georgiegirl
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I've been using my BJCED as my all-the-time double xcept for a short while when very pg with #3. I keep it in my car, so it only ever comes out when we use it elsewhere. I find that in the neighborhood, our bigger (as in 2 and 3yos) will often ride scooters or balance bikes instead of riding in the stroller.

My upper body strength is totally lacking, but it isn't a problem to get the BJCED in/out of my van 2-4x/week (sometimes 6x/ in a day). I would be the first to complain and find a new solution if it was an issue. jacksmoma feels differently, though, so you have to decide what's important to your family. Headroom, adjust. handlebar, amazing canopies, compact fold, and air tires were our deciding factors. We've been using it for 2.5 years and will likely use it for probably that long again for the zoo and such, once we've outgrown the need for it daily.

Yes, your glowing reviews of the BJCED were also a deciding factor. I can't wait until mine arrives.

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes, your glowing reviews of the BJCED were also a deciding factor. I can't wait until mine arrives.
you may feel differently if it doesn't fit your lifestyle. hope it does! let us know what you think! What color did you order?

dukie41181
05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Right, people with kiddos over 3 will find this to be the deciding factor. My now 3.5 yo was about 39 or 40 inches at 2.5 yo. He outgrew many strollers at that point.

My daughter will be 21 months old when the baby is born. Do you all think I should e as concerned about the fit? She has always been on the smaller side of 50th percentile.

arivecchi
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
My daughter will be 21 months old when the baby is born. Do you all think I should e as concerned about the fit? She has always been on the smaller side of 50th percentile. This might be helpful:

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l018.pdf

I do agree with WatchingThemGrow that the stroller has to work for your lifestyle, but I would also think about how long you want to use it and how tall you think your DD will be at that point. HTH.

Krisrich
05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I have an Indie twin that I love. It's easy for me to get in and out of my minivan and I really don't think the fold is difficult. I knew I would be taking it in and out of the car as frequently as using it around the neighborhood so weight was a big factor me. But, my kids are only 13 months apart so I also have more longevity with the Indie than others might. My very big 17 month old still has plenty of room!

swissair81
05-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I HATE the push of the indie. The fold is 4 steps & forget it. I'd rather lift more weight & not have to deal with that infernal fold.

dukie41181
05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, I hope I made the best decision. We ended up ordering the BJCED from Moosejaw.com and submitted for a price match. At least doing it this way it is risk free for us since they have a generous return policy and we have a store locally where we can return for free (without paying shipping of course). And I went through Bing.com for the 10% cashback. It turns out after cashback it will end up costing us $411.xx and we'll get rewards points from Moosejaw that we can use towards other Moosejaw products. Again, I hope we made the best choice for us and I hope we end up satisfied...but hey, if not, no biggie.

Krisrich
05-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Swissair81- I think you might be referring to the fold on the older Indie models which was definitely more complicated. My 2009 has just a 2 step fold. It's not as easy as the Baby Joggers for sure, but really not at all difficult.

arivecchi
05-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Well, I hope I made the best decision. We ended up ordering the BJCED from Moosejaw.com and submitted for a price match. At least doing it this way it is risk free for us since they have a generous return policy and we have a store locally where we can return for free (without paying shipping of course). And I went through Bing.com for the 10% cashback. It turns out after cashback it will end up costing us $411.xx and we'll get rewards points from Moosejaw that we can use towards other Moosejaw products. Again, I hope we made the best choice for us and I hope we end up satisfied...but hey, if not, no biggie. Hope you like it! Sounds like you got a great deal and it's awesome that you can return it without any problems if you are not satisfied.

dukie41181
05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
So excited! Just got the email verifying that our price match request was approved! YAY! :applause:

WatchingThemGrow
05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Good work, dukie! Did you say which color you got? (That's part of the fun, ya know!)

dukie41181
05-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Good work, dukie! Did you say which color you got? (That's part of the fun, ya know!)

I didn't mention...opps! We went for the black on black stroller as opposed the to the khaki sport. I wouldn't have minded the khaki but for some reason my husband felt that if we had a boy he woudln't want to be in a khaki/tan stroller. I didn't get it but I didn't really care.

WatchingThemGrow
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
:thumbsup: Love our black on black. It matches everything.

dukie41181
05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Just checked the UPS tracking number and its out for delivery today! YAY!!! By days end I will be playing (inside the house of course!) with a BJCED!!!! :yay:

georgiegirl
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Just checked the UPS tracking number and its out for delivery today! YAY!!! By days end I will be playing (inside the house of course!) with a BJCED!!!! :yay:

Very exciting!!! Can't wait to hear all about it. Mine arrives tomorrow. I was good and I didn't order the Valco stroller as well.

dukie41181
05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Very exciting!!! Can't wait to hear all about it. Mine arrives tomorrow. I was good and I didn't order the Valco stroller as well.

I'm impressed with your restraint! :bowdown:

georgiegirl
05-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm impressed with your restraint! :bowdown:

I put the BJCED on craiglist but no one even e-mailed with interest. I decided that if I got nothing, then I wouldn't order it. By last night, I wasn't even disappointed that I couldn't order the Valco. I think I actually like the look of the BJCED better. I have the single and love it.

arivecchi
05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
:popc1: Anxiously waiting for a review here!

dukie41181
05-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Holy behemoth Batman! I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but this thing is HUGE!!!! I know I don't need to tell you guys, but man oh man. I knew it was a big stroller but this is really big. I feel dwarfed when I push it! LOL. My only problem so far, ironically, was in my first fold. The tired hit my foot (bare) and broke my toenail in half...blood and stinging going on over here. Clearly I'm gonna need to work on perfecting the fold! Main complaint so far is that there is no way to secure/lock the stroller in the folded position. I knew that wasn't a feature going into the purchase, but it seems they could have added a simple velcro strap or something for a few bucks. Oh well...if I would have been willing to pay more now for the 2010 or wait until they are clearanced next year this would be a non-issue, but alas, I have no patience! I will play more with it this afternoon and review later. Man! I sure wish I could take this thing outside! I wonder if I'd be able to take it for a walk around the cul de sac and clean the wheels afterwards just in case we don't end up keeping it. Hmmmmm. Thoughts?

arivecchi
05-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Holy behemoth Batman! I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but this thing is HUGE!!!! I know I don't need to tell you guys, but man oh man. I knew it was a big stroller but this is really big. I feel dwarfed when I push it! LOL. My only problem so far, ironically, was in my first fold. The tired hit my foot (bare) and broke my toenail in half...blood and stinging going on over here.
Ouch!!!! :46: Yeah, I've had a few fold injuries myself. It's so unexpected the first time you do it.

I've never felt my BJCCD was that huge, but then again, I already had the single Valco Trimode, which is not tiny. My BJCCD does fit through any standard doors believe it or not. I would not ride it outside. I don't think you would be able to clean the wheels well enough and you do not want to risk not being able to return it. I'd just ride with it around the house until you know for sure.

IMO, not double is small, so I care more about the features. Let us know what you think after you play with it some more. Are you getting the Valco today as well?

Hope your toe is not in too much pain.

jacksmoma
05-17-2010, 03:59 PM
yes, the fold is easy on the elite but the think is so freakin' heavy that it will slam down on the floor (maybe a foot!) when you fold it- the quick fold is about a million times better on the bjcity mini double as it is light so you lift as you fold- no crashing to the ground! one of the reasons i ended up with the bjcmd after a bjced....sorry to not be any help!

WatchingThemGrow
05-17-2010, 04:09 PM
poor toenail! Here's a tip for folding and lifting - wait, you're pg now right? Don't do lift it unnecessarily if so. I like to fold the handlebar down a tiny bit so that when it folds, it rests on part of it - kinda under the stroller. Just play with it to see where it works best. For lifting it into the car (or wherever - again, we just leave ours in there), go by the wheels (when it is folded) and grab under the "hips" for lack of a better term - the curved part of the frame on the inside. It's a really good place where the weight seems balanced and you're in a natural lifting position. It'll kinda be like you're carrying a load of folded towels with your elbows in a 90 degree angle. Does that make any sense???

PRmommy
05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Main complaint so far is that there is no way to secure/lock the stroller in the folded position. I knew that wasn't a feature going into the purchase, but it seems they could have added a simple velcro strap or something for a few bucks.

BJ website references a fold strap on the Double Elite. Are you sure yours doesn't have one?

http://www.babyjogger.com/faq.aspx#faq10

http://www.babyjogger.com/images/document/Fold%20Strap/double%20fold%20strap.pdf

Sorry about your nail....that sounds painful.