PDA

View Full Version : Ordering training wheels for a Trek bike

HIU8
05-13-2010, 01:10 PM
I found a 16 inch trek bike on CL. It doesn't come with training wheels. Does anyone know, do all trek 16 inch bikes take training wheels? Where do I order them from (trek.com)?

DrSally
05-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Glad you found one. I just bought a 16" Trek off CL too ($60). Mine came with training wheels. I would checkout the website to see if you can order them. I'm going to see if I can order some new rubber handle grips, as ours are really chewed up.

o_mom
05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
I think Trek only sells parts through dealers, so try a local shop.

Sally - for handgrips they are a standard item that you can get at any bike shop. I have replaced them on two of our Treks with generic ones from a bike shop for around $10. Walmart probably has some as well, but they might not have a kid sized pair which are not as wide (the inside handlebar tube is standard, just the length is different, IIRC).

smiles33
05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I just bought a Trek Mystic 16" off CL for my DD1 that originally didn't have training wheels (they found them after they posted the ad) so I researched on Amazon and found some highly recommended steel ones for 16" bikes. Not sure if they definitely fit the Trek, but they were $15 plus $5 s/h.

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Yay, Heather!!!!!!!!! Do you THINK he really needs them? Is it possible for you and DH to watch some of the "teach your kid to ride a bike" videos on the web and take him out to a grassy area to learn without them? Not sure about the Ot/PT stuff, but it may be an option!

DrSally
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I think Trek only sells parts through dealers, so try a local shop.

Sally - for handgrips they are a standard item that you can get at any bike shop. I have replaced them on two of our Treks with generic ones from a bike shop for around $10. Walmart probably has some as well, but they might not have a kid sized pair which are not as wide (the inside handlebar tube is standard, just the length is different, IIRC).

Thanks for the tip!

ETA: OP, I would lend you mine if we were close. They are really sturdy, and a definite selling point of the bike. Too bad your seller didn't have them (how much did you pay for your bike)? FWIW, DS is 4.5, and we're just keeping the training wheels off. He can alternate btwn the Trek and his balance bike, whichever he feels more comfortable on. Unfortunately, DH didn't believe me when I told him to set the seat lower to give DS the ability to stand more flat footed (instead of on his tippy toes) while he's learning. DH thinks that will be too hard for him to pedal. In any case, it's making it hard for DS to get comfortable on the Trek.

HIU8
05-13-2010, 04:37 PM
OT said to use the training wheels and let him gain confidence on a new sized bike first. I have not bought it off CL yet. I emailed the seller and am waiting to hear.

DrSally
05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
OT said to use the training wheels and let him gain confidence on a new sized bike first. I have not bought it off CL yet. I emailed the seller and am waiting to hear.

How much are they asking wo/the training wheels, b/c those are a big selling point of the bike--they're very sturdy training wheels. I would check into how much they will be from the dealer, and that may give you some negotiating room with the seller.

HIU8
05-13-2010, 06:45 PM
He wants $75 for the bike minus the training wheels. He said they sell for $20 and he originally paid $160 for the bike (I looked on the trek site and their current trek jet 16 inch with training wheels sells for $199.99). Just found out from revolution cycles that the training wheels are $24.99. That makes the CL bike (a 2005 jet) a total of $100. Is that good for that bike?

KrisM
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
He wants $75 for the bike minus the training wheels. He said they sell for $20 and he originally paid $160 for the bike (I looked on the trek site and their current trek jet 16 inch with training wheels sells for $199.99).

FWIW, DS's 16 inch Trek Jet from 2008 was about $150 at a bike store. It's a nice bike and should easily get through all 3 kids.

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Not sure how you could play it, but our 16" Jet from CL (2005 model, I think) was $7. It was missing the plastic pieces and training wheels also.

Wonder if the OT knows about balance bikes. Seems like that would be a very "therapeutic" way to learn to ride, kwim? They get such amazing confidence while running along, learning to balance, gliding with no feet on the ground..

DrSally
05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
He wants $75 for the bike minus the training wheels. He said they sell for $20 and he originally paid $160 for the bike (I looked on the trek site and their current trek jet 16 inch with training wheels sells for $199.99). Just found out from revolution cycles that the training wheels are $24.99. That makes the CL bike (a 2005 jet) a total of $100. Is that good for that bike?

Well, I guess that sounds *OK*. I see them for around $80 on CL, with all the parts. I got mine for $60, but it was very well used/scratched up.

chays
05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Heather, did you see this one?
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/1741343848.html

HIU8
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
We actually ended up buying a new trek bike for him instead of getting one on CL. I'm glad we did that instead as the store has a policy that you bring the bike back within 3 yrs of purchase date (no matter the condition) and get 50% off another bike. We ended up getting a 16 inch which is really to small for DS (but the OT wanted his feet flat on the ground and he felt more comfortable in a bike where we could inch the seat up very slowly). So we figure that DS will be in this bike for roughly 2 years. Then we will take it back and get a bigger bike (probably a 20 inch) and save 50% off the price of that bike.